Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have dual charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to confirm I have the dual charger in my car. I read on the Tesla website that it was only available on 2013 and up models. Mine is a 2012 Signature. From what I understand, if the charging rate is showing 16kw, then it has dual charger. Can anybody confirm this by looking at the attached picture please? Thank you in advanced.

DualCharger.jpg

I read on the Tesla website that it was only available on 2013 and up models. Mine is a 2012 Signature.
I would be surprised if it actually said that. Maybe there was a misunderstanding. They had the option of single or dual from the very beginning in 2012 and onward until the model refresh in 2016.

And yes if you look at the amps, if it shows anything more than 40, then it's using the second charger.

Ahhh, I think I see what is going on there. That must not be a U.S. site. One of the telltale things is that they refer to it as 11 kW and 22 kW. The original chargers only did 11 and 22 kW in the 3 phase configurations, which aren't used in the North American versions. For us here, they said 10 kW and 20 kW.
They were only set up for 3 phase in the European ones, and guess what? They didn't start making and shipping any European cars until 2013 I think, so that makes sense they were refer to them as 2013 to 2016.

Reactions: ResHacker
It's weird for me anyway that in the US you had only 40A possibility for the single charger, while in EU it was in fact 48A (3x16 on 3-phase grid). So 80A was total maximum (approx 18,5kW)?
That math seems off in a couple of places.

In the European configurations, that was basically 240V times 16A, which is 3,840 W, times 3 is 11,520 W. So they called that 11 kW.

In the North American ones, it's 240V times 40A, which is 9,600 W, which they called 10 kW.

So there's a little fuzziness with rounding up or down. 9.6 is close to 10, but it's the same charger, and they wouldn't want 11.5 to be rounded all the way down to also saying 10, so they say 11.

If it is 220v or 240v, that fact this it is showing 201v could indicate a wiring or load issue.
It's probably a commercial building. Those get 208V, so 201V isn't unusual.

Confused @Rocky_H. 48a is typical in the U.S. and does not mean dual chargers. My car show 48/48 @ 240V
No, 48A is the new cars. This is an old car that has two of the 40A chargers.