Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Northern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be driving from Riverside County on Sunday to Northern California, the trip is about 450 miles. From where I am starting to the Supercharger at Tejon Parkway at the bottom of the grade, is about 150-160 miles. I remember driving it a number of years ago and there is a big incline getting to the top before driving down the mountain.

My Model Y LR will be charged full to 330 miles before we leave. Question is, how much "juice" will be used going up the grade with the air conditioning going? Since this is my first big trip, I want to make sure I am not draining major miles going up the grade.

I would recommend playing in advance with A Better Route Planner (ABRP) Web App
to have a good idea of your consumption and Superchargers stops needed.

You can adjust the diving maximum speed, the State of Charge (SoC) when arriving and leaving a Supercharger,
and many other parameters.... But speed and front wind are the parameters affecting the most the consumption.

When driving alone, I prefer making numerous Supercharging stops and stop for only 10 minutes or so.
But when I have passengers, I prefer reduce the number of stops and spend more time charging and have time to eat instead.

About the 330 miles range, this must be only when driving below 65 miles per hour...
In general you drive between 80% and 20%, so it would be only 60% of 330 miles or 200 miles.

You could drive below 20% in areas with high density of superchargers,
but preconditioning is only activated if you have more that 20% of State of Charge,
and the Supercharger is the final destination selected on the Navigation.

Note: Tejon Ranch is a 76 Superchargers, and shares the parking lot of the Outlets mall so it is a little bit like a maze.
This location is very busy on weekend during business hours, so you might encounter
long waiting lane at any eating places, and it would be better to prepare some snacks in advance instead.

I prefer in general to stop at the Kettleman City Supercharger, but coming from south LA, you might need to stop
at one of the Santa Clarita Superchargers for a quick fill up before going up on the Grapevine hills area.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: YisSerL