Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on the highway is annoying due to "Blind Spot Warning Disabled" alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also haven't found the blind spot warning very useful. First of all, the visual indication is very subtle, and I don't want to take my eyes off the road to see if there is a faint white line next to the speedometer circle. Secondly, it often seems to light up too late or never. Finally even if it was super accurate I would look for myself before switching lanes just to be sure, so what's the point?

I've found the blind spot monitoring as implemented by Tesla utilizing the ultrasonic sensors to be useless.

Contrast this with the blind spot monitoring system as implemented by Volvo on my wife's XC60 using radar emitters, one on each rear corner of the car, to be 100% reliable and effective, and low latency.

Also, the Volvo has indicator lights on each A pillar base, near the rear view mirrors, that are much more noticeable than the near invisible curved lines on the Model S dash display.

The rear radars also allow for another really useful feature - when backing out of a parking space, the Volvo looks down the parking lot both directions with the radars and warns if a car is coming your way. Really great when you're stuck next to a big SUV or pickup and can't see down the aisle when backing out.

I hope Tesla revs the hardware, or pulls some magic software tricks out of their sleeves.

I've found the blind spot monitoring as implemented by Tesla utilizing the ultrasonic sensors to be useless.

Contrast this with the blind spot monitoring system as implemented by Volvo on my wife's XC60 using radar emitters, one on each rear corner of the car, to be 100% reliable and effective, and low latency.

Also, the Volvo has indicator lights on each A pillar base, near the rear view mirrors, that are much more noticeable than the near invisible curved lines on the Model S dash display.

The rear radars also allow for another really useful feature - when backing out of a parking space, the Volvo looks down the parking lot both directions with the radars and warns if a car is coming your way. Really great when you're stuck next to a big SUV or pickup and can't see down the aisle when backing out.

I hope Tesla revs the hardware, or pulls some magic software tricks out of their sleeves.

Agreed. I understand the thought that they'd be "good enough" and I think they gave it a good try, but I think they're still really lacking. I don't have as much experience as you guys, perhaps (no AutoPilot hardware on mine), but I've had a series of loaners and been awfully disappointed in the performance each time.

They may have gotten the rest right, but the blind spot system lags competitors. The indicator needs to be in a more useful location (mirror or pillar, really) and they need to reduce the detection latency. Cross traffic identification, as noted, would also be super helpful. The S is a nice long vehicle. There's a good chunk of it out in the lane before you can fully confirm no one is there (the camera does help for this).

I'm hoping they tweak the hardware a bit with the Model X launch.

Blind spot monitoring is useless (grey semicircles). I don't say that about many features in the Tesla. But this one is useless. Even the crappy route planning features, has it's positives.

Blind spot accident detection (red semicircles) works surprisingly well given how useless BSM is. It's no where near perfect, but a few times when I've veered a little out of lane and there was a car there, it beeped at me. A few times when a car got awfully close to my rear bumper, it beeped at me. I've also had a couple false positives.

Meant to reply to this the other day.

Originally I had been seeing it disabled in the 80s, and then started seeing it somewhere in the 70s. A couple days ago though, it disabled at 62mph. I think that it takes into account the speed of the road and traffic. I was not on the interstate when it disabled at 62, but when it had disabled at higher speeds I was, where traffic was faster.

For example, if you are going 15mph faster than other cars regardless of the speed limit, it will be pointless in some respect to bother detecting, but also may just be harder. This would explain why people see it disabled at variable speeds. If traffic is moving at 75mph in a 65, but you'd in the 80s, then it might not disable until you're in the high 80s.

Does Blind Spot Warning still exist in 7.0? I can't find the setting in Driver Assistance. Was it there before in 6.2? I've only had the car 10 days so can't remember.

Not directly. It sucked in 6.2, in 7.0 it's much better -- it's the circle things around the acr while you drive showing the proximity of other cars. If you try to change lanes, they turn red and the car beeps at you.