Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing I noticed (not related to body panel alignment) was where the headliner meets the weather strip on the doors. Normally the headliner tucks cleanly underneath the strip, but in some places it clearly didn't.

My body and trim alignment is great (July 2013 build), but I do have the headliner issue. Naturally it's on my wife's side, so I hear about it regularly. #sigh

The Rocklin SvC has been trying different things to try and fix it.

O

I had the "chrome triangle point on the back sticking out" issue on both sides of mine and they fixed it with no problem at the service center. I also had the chrome mismatch on the front passenger door (combined with the problem that I think is known to happen from time to time) where the front passenger door needs more effort to slam shut than the other 3 doors, and they also fixed both of those issues at the same time.

I don't own a Model S. I own the 2008 Vectrix electric maxi-scooter and an 2012 Opel Ampera.

I admire the Model S, but this misalignment really stands out when you admire the car in person.

Your experience is not typical. Having just got back from TMC Connect where there were 30-40 cars in the same parking lot (from VIN0001 to 30xxx), I didn't notice many alignment issues, and none as severe as the photos at the top of this thread.

Is the frunk hood aluminum? If the owners closes the hood by pressing the hood down, instead of dropping it, it could be, that dents were made by the fingers, because the aluminum is quite soft. There are some Volt owners on gm-volt forum that got their hood dented by closing the hood by pressing it down instead of dropping it.

Is the frunk hood aluminum? If the owners closes the hood by pressing the hood down, instead of dropping it, it could be, that dents were made by the fingers, because the aluminum is quite soft. There are some Volt owners on gm-volt forum that got their hood dented by closing the hood by pressing it down instead of dropping it.
Tesla specifically says not to drop it. In fact, I'm sure it would be difficult to close it (catching both latches) by dropping it because of the seal. You would basically need to slam it down, which is far more risky.

To quote page 11 of the manual for closing the frunk:
Closing
The Model S body is made of lightweight
aluminum. Therefore, the hood is not heavy
enough to latch under its own weight and
applying pressure on the front edge or center
of the hood can cause damage. To close the
hood:
• Lower the hood fully until it touches the
latch.
• Placing both hands on the front of the
hood in the areas shown, press down
firmly to engage the latches.
• Lift the front edge of the hood to ensure it
is fully closed.
closing_frunk.png

Caution:
To prevent damage:
• Apply pressure only to the green
areas illustrated above. Applying
pressure to the red areas can cause
damage.
• Do not close the hood with one hand
- this applies concentrated force in
one area and can result in a dent or
crease.
• Do not apply pressure to the leading
edge of the hood - this can crease
the edge.
• Do not slam or drop the hood.

I hadn't noticed my "Brightwork" alignment issue until I read this thread and others. I dropped by the SCtr last week and they said they would need to adjust the door. I made an appointment and brought it in today and all they did was pull up on the chrome that's on the door. The upper chrome on the body is glued on and not adjustable.

Well I'm going there anyway for some other minor issues that have piled up. I tried yanking on it myself and it slid back to where it was. I trust the Tesla guys to be able to fix it better than I ever could.

My trim was misaligned since day one. It was adjusted once at the service center, then fell back to the original misaligned location. It drives me a bit crazy so i just adjust it every few weeks. IMO you could do just about the same as the service center.

The 2 cars in the photos: what's their date of manufacture?

Cars built early on had exterior component alignment irregularities. Newer Model S are very tightly built now due to improvements in the manufacturing process.

Except mine which was built just two weeks ago. The door alignment is just as bad as the worst I've seen on others. They're going to fix it of course....if they ever get back to me about the due bill which they said would be within 72 hours but now it's been 1.5 weeks.