Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting observation, qwk.

And a quick note...
I remember a conversation when I had my handles replaced that handles aren't necessarily backwards compatible. By this I mean, when people have had "newest handles" and "not newest firmware" there have been issues with some combinations. Consequently, I find it reasonable and likely that there might be some "forwards compatibility" issues (when you upgrade to newer firmware) that don't always get noticed prior to the new firmware reaching customers.

So in my case the driver's handle presents itself but there is no light and the door won't open.
Is this the "classic" V1.0 case which has to be replaced?
When my V1 were misbehaving...

I don't remember if my lights worked (it was very sunny in California), but the handles would present but not actually open the driver door when tugged hard (or soft). The DR and PF worked fine; I don't recall checking the PR. The inside handle always worked fine (with the fob window trick).

So in my case the driver's handle presents itself but there is no light and the door won't open.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that could be a mechanical problem too. A circuit could be broken that supplies power to the light and also to the microswitch that activates the door latch when you pull. Power is still there to the motor, hence the handle still rolls in and out... just not to the other electrical components. Broken wire? (I could see it also being a firmware issue in the handle as well, but it just isn't that simple to tell from here).

Got locked out yesterday at grocery store. Same issue now drivers door. Service center now replaced FREE remaining three door handles. Thank God. Scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the update. A ranger will be here Wednesday to fix the handle.
Thursday I'm leaving for a supercharger-enabled trip...(first college move-in in a Model S?)

Gosh, you,re in college with a Tesla? Zow-wee. Lucky!

Just happened to me for the first time this evening when I leaving the office. I walked up to the car, handles extended (they tend to be sluggish, I've noticed, I sometimes walk right up to the car and they don't budge, and I have to click the key, but most times they open when I get within a few steps of the car), and I reached for the rear left door, tugged on the handle, but it was like the door was glued shut.

So I tugged extra hard and it opened.

[I really don't like how Tesla's done the doors. The whole way they feel when you open them feels so wrong compared to other car doors. There's no feeling of precision mechanical wizardry with latches and things moving and releasing so the door opens. With the Tesla, you just pull (when it works), and the door opens the way a dog finally relinquishes the tug-of-war pull-toy it's been holding in its mouth.]

So yesterday my passenger's side rear door handle wouldn't retract. I called service and they told me to reboot but that didn't help so they scheduled an appointment. I decided to give it a little push at the same time as the others were retracting and it made a loud "SNAP" and went it. Now it works. I emailed and told service and said it's fine for now but I am wondering if there's any damage? I guess I can have it looked at the next time my car is in for service but if anyone knows how they work and what happened with mine I would be interesting in hearing what went wrong and how it appears to have been fixed.

I had just washed my car and was drying the doors, went to open the back drivers side door and it would not open. The handles present but just won't allow it to open. Reaching around, using the inside latch opens the door just fine, just not from the outside. Called Tesla Service and they are going to arrange for a Ranger to fix it. I guess that I also have some moisture and a couple mosquitoes in the back tail lights that I should have removed, at the same time. These minor issues become non-issues with the great service I always receive from Tesla Motors Service Centers!