Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Extended Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
The other day I went to get in my 2016S. When the handles extended, the driver's door handle extended far enough that it released the latch and the door popped open to the second catch.

I tried to get in the car, but since the handle was already all the way out (not at the normal extension position where you pull on it and it moves slightly farther out to release the latch, but all the way out in the latch release position), I could not open the door. I got in the passenger side and reached across to release the driver door from the interior handle.

I could not get the extended handle to do anything at all. It just stays in the fully extended position (with the LED on) all the time.

I made an service appointment to get the handle fixed. Their first opening was June 6th. The estimate for repair is almost $400. They'll simply replace the handle.

Has anybody else has had this problem and been able to correct it without an expensive service call? Is it possible to pop the interior panel of the door and mess with the handle mechanism to free it up and hopefully make it function properly? Or does the over-extension mean it's just toast?

Thanks for any replies

Mark P.

The other day I went to get in my 2016S. When the handles extended, the driver's door handle extended far enough that it released the latch and the door popped open to the second catch.

I tried to get in the car, but since the handle was already all the way out (not at the normal extension position where you pull on it and it moves slightly farther out to release the latch, but all the way out in the latch release position), I could not open the door. I got in the passenger side and reached across to release the driver door from the interior handle.

I could not get the extended handle to do anything at all. It just stays in the fully extended position (with the LED on) all the time.

I made an service appointment to get the handle fixed. Their first opening was June 6th. The estimate for repair is almost $400. They'll simply replace the handle.

Has anybody else has had this problem and been able to correct it without an expensive service call? Is it possible to pop the interior panel of the door and mess with the handle mechanism to free it up and hopefully make it function properly? Or does the over-extension mean it's just toast?

Thanks for any replies

Mark P.
Interesting... my S developed a similar issue today. Door handle extended when I exited the car and never retracted. Not at the limit though, the last 1/8 spring loaded travel is still there. Won't trigger the door to open though.

Rebooting the center console, powering car off/on (via control menu), and manually lock/unlocking the car via the "padlock" icon in upper left center console interface all are ineffective.

I know handle failures for early S's was common, and mine lasted longer than many (car is 11 yrs old this month). But for some reason I was under the impression the failure mode was not extending, not refusing to retract...

On edit: Entered service mode, and the driver's side door handle status is gray, not green. And as I was sitting there I could hear some noise (sounded intermittent) and the handle retracted about 80%. So I guess the mechanism is shot. Now do I try and do this myself...? I have gen 2/2.5 handles...

Last edited:
On edit: Entered service mode, and the driver's side door handle status is gray, not green. And as I was sitting there I could hear some noise (sounded intermittent) and the handle retracted about 80%. So I guess the mechanism is shot. Now do I try and do this myself...? I have gen 2/2.5 handles...
That's interesting. Where do you go in service mode to see the door handles? I couldn't find anything at all.

I looked and looked - no such category on my screen. The closest is a Door Handle Calibration button, but when I pick that I get a message that says my door handles don't need to be calibrated.
You don't have this?:

1716553751467.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Huh, interesting. Nope, not in Service+ and I don't know how to do that.

Mine is a 2013 with MCU upgrade (Intel based). It's also prior to FSD hardware (computer, cams, sensors, etc...) but I wouldn't have expected that to change basic stuff like chassis equipment status...

Reactions: zoomer0056