Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't test-drive a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the go-kart nature of the Roadster driving experience but the Model S is amazing. It doesn't change direction as quickly (simple physics here) but it hugs the road, starts, and stops amazingly well. I also like that it's quiet, that the bluetooth phone is useable, and the 17" panel is nice. Could have used it last Friday as I stopped by a store on the way home and then had 2 different routes to get home and based on radio reports traffic was messed up in both directions. Being able to view traffic on that big map would have made my life a lot easier. I also like the idea of being able to pre-heat and pre-cool the car.

But for you Daniel, I think it will feel too large at parking lot speeds so I don't think you have to worry about whipping out your checkbook after driving. Also, the Roadster is a serious conversation piece. I would definitely drive a Model S when you get the chance. You can still tell it's a Tesla but the vibe is quite different than the Roadster.

Now, if Tesla keeps iterating and when the small sedan comes out...

One way of looking at is a test drive in a Model S Perf cost me at least $10k because I had to upgrade.

On the other hand it may actually *save* money because other vendors charge $20k+ premiums for their equivalent perf models. So maybe I saved $10k? :)

Haven't driven an S but love the roadster. One of the techs was out recently to look at a tire pressure monitor fault and I let him take a spin in the GT-R. I was surprised to say that it handled just like the S!!! Just for reference, the GT-R is a HUGE car but surprisingly nimble. Even driving it you think you are going slow but in fact turning out fast lap times. Maybe this is true about the S and the new performance mod talk.
Tesla Developing More Performance-Oriented Model S | Autopia | Wired.com

also makes you wonder what they might be able to do with the X!

Hi Daniel, it was great talking to you at plug in day. You keep your roadster in amazing shape for it being a daily driver. I hope Tesla brings a Model S to Spokane so you could experience it for yourself. They engineered one awesome car. One doesnt know what they are missing until they drive one...

Today I took the roadster to work instead of the BGC. It made cow eyes at me in the garage, and said it felt lonely :). Performance wise, like some others have said, I can't pick between them. The Model S clearly has more oomph at freeway speeds, maybe (or maybe not) the Roadster is quicker for the first 10 meters. I love 'em both! The biggest difference for me, as a driver, is that the Roadster seats hug me better; the bolsters in the Model S still let me slide around more than I would like. This is actually a big deal for me, since my last four cars have all had significant side bolsters, and I felt rock solid going around high speed curves.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

Is there anything you don't like about the roadster? Are there any quirks you wish it didn't have?

I would say that the luxury feel of the Model S makes is a far superior car to the roadster for most people. It's such a joy to drive. However, you used to drive a Zap so I'm not sure this applies to you. :)
There are just two things I dislike about the Roadster. The Alpine unit is terrible, but that's a minor issue. Much more serious is that the seats are massively uncomfortable. I don't have much padding in me, and even with additional foam shoved into the seat, it's still uncomfortable.

But don't denigrate my little Zap Xebra. That was a FUN car to drive, got more positive comments and attention than even the Roadster, and was a pure electric car when the Roadster was just a glint in Elon's eye. :wink:

I'll be looking to drive my Model S from Portland to Missoula, and if you let me charge at your place, I'll let you test drive mine. :)
Absolutely!!! I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage (240 volts, 50 amps) and the UMC that fits it and allows charging at 40 amps. You're welcome to use the UMC if that fits the Model S, or plug your own cable into the NEMA 14-50. I also have a spare bedroom you're welcome to use.

:scared: We're your friends.
Thanks. There are friends, and there are friends. There are people you say hello to and everyone is friendly, and then there are people you hang out with and socialize with. The latter is what I was referring to.

Perhaps getting the Model S will change that! :wink:
I hoped the Zap Xebra would change that. It didn't. I hoped the Porsche would change that. It didn't, though I only had it for a month before it went off for repairs. I hoped the Roadster would change that. It hasn't. Kids loved the Xebra. Men, if they are sports-car enthusiasts, like the Roadster. Maybe if I was gay I'd have better luck. :smile:

Hi Daniel, it was great talking to you at plug in day. You keep your roadster in amazing shape for it being a daily driver. I hope Tesla brings a Model S to Spokane so you could experience it for yourself. They engineered one awesome car. One doesnt know what they are missing until they drive one...
Hi qwk. Yes, it was great meeting you, too!

... The Model S clearly has more oomph at freeway speeds...
Really??? I think that more oomph at freeway speed than the Roadster has would scare me. I can zip around other vehicles like nobody's business. I hate being right next to big trucks. I wait until it's clear enough that I can pass them. The Prius is no slouch getting from 65 to 75, but the Roadster goes from 60 to 80 in an eye blink.

The biggest difference for me, as a driver, is that the Roadster seats hug me better; the bolsters in the Model S still let me slide around more than I would like.
Interesting. As noted above, the Roadster's seats are too hard for me.

I do prefer a smaller car. The Xebra was the perfect size for me.

Road feel is not a big deal for me. I'd prefer a smoother ride, but I do like a nimble car, and I know if I want nimble I have to settle for a bumpier ride. I'm okay with that.

The Roadster is noisy, and I don't care for that, but again I see it as the price I pay for having a sports car. With the top on and the windows closed it's acceptable. With the mesh top on the freeway I cannot listen to the stereo, it's just too noisy, but that's tires and wind.

I like the idea of a water-cooled PEM. Mine never gets too hot, here in Spokane, but water-cooled would mean easier maintenance, since they have to remove the Roadster's PEM and clean the dust out every year.

I don't finance. I pay in full or I do without. When all is said and done, I've lost about a hundred grand on the Porsche. I could get myself an S to compensate, or I could decide I've spent too much on cars already. I really do not need another EV. And since the S would not quite make it to my summer hiking places without an overnight charging stop, or a supercharger in locations not even shown on the long-term map, I still need to keep the Prius, and I have only a two-car garage. And my Roadster beats the Model S in one imprtant respect: My Roadster is the absolute best color ever! :cool: Very Orange.

So this is a reverse psychology thread?
I'm not sure. When someone tells you (as someone told me) "Do NOT drive a Model S because you'll REALLY want one if you do," it really makes you want to drive one even if previously you were in no hurry to, because you really have no need for it, and it's a bigger car than you need or want.

I'm not sure. When someone tells you (as someone told me) "Do NOT drive a Model S because you'll REALLY want one if you do," it really makes you want to drive one even if previously you were in no hurry to, because you really have no need for it, and it's a bigger car than you need or want.

but it is soo quiet and you wont like it ;>
and you really shouldn't try it (you'll have 3 EV's again before no time)

I hate the the Model S drives so much better than the Roadster in so many ways.

My Roadster make me feel like a little kid zooming around in my spaceship. The Model S is my parent's mothership that they use to go out and bring me back to wash my hands for dinner.