Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the $5k P85D upgrade get you a ludicrous P85D or a ludicrous P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that the upgrade only covers the fuse replacement allowing more power to be passed through it, thus the faster 0.2s acceleration. It doesn't include the battery upgrade to 90 kWh. The badging will add an underline to the existing P85D badge to indicate the ludicrous upgrade. The price isn't given but they're asking for a $500 pre-order nonrefundable deposit before we even know how much it will cost.

My sense is that this will be a good value investment as the increase in resale value will likely outweigh the cost of the upgrade.

We already know it's a final total of $5,000. It's right there on the Tesla site.

And that's a $5,000 flat fee - nothing extra for parts or labor.

Yes the price has changed to $5000 flat, but also the wording on the pre-order page changed to "provides for a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time, from your current vehicle performance." which seems rather far from original announcement of "a quarter mile time of 10.9 secs. Time to 155 mph is improved even more, resulting in a 20% reduction.". If you take the current wording, there is no improvement above 60mph, so a total of 0.2s faster 0-155mph, which would have to be 1s flat already for 0.2 to qualify as 20% improvement (now that would be ludicrous acceleration).

Yes the price has changed to $5000 flat, but also the wording on the pre-order page changed to "provides for a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time, from your current vehicle performance." which seems rather far from original announcement of "a quarter mile time of 10.9 secs. Time to 155 mph is improved even more, resulting in a 20% reduction.". If you take the current wording, there is no improvement above 60mph, so a total of 0.2s faster 0-155mph, which would have to be 1s flat already for 0.2 to qualify as 20% improvement (now that would be ludicrous acceleration).

Right - accurate reading of the site. But we need to see how the upgrade actually performs. My hope (and guess) is that the car can only put out max power in short bursts so that the numbers Tesla is now providing are accurate - but it can also get improved passing power under normal circumstances where you are cruising along.

Fine by me. There are only a handful of stock cars in the world that can do 0-60 in less than three seconds. I'm happy to pay $5,000 to have one of them.

Fine by me. There are only a handful of stock cars in the world that can do 0-60 in less than three seconds. I'm happy to pay $5,000 to have one of them.

And so you should. Just like others are happy to pay $30K or more to trade-in their P85D for P90D which is even faster. It all depends on your perception of value per dollar spent.

Last edited:
Actually, according to listed specs, it amounts to 5 tenths. 3.1 to 2.6 as it's listed. Half a second really shows on the road and if you have the means is worth it imo.

- - - Updated - - -

$13K for 3 tenths and 30+ miles? Does it weigh more?

Actually, according to listed specs, it amounts to 5 tenths. 3.1 to 2.6 as it's listed. Half a second really shows on the road and if you have the means is worth it imo

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the 2.6 Ludicrous time are from Road and Track testing (See latest Article)

There is the language in the upgrade text (.2 second improvement in 0-60 and 1/4 mile... so, as currently spec'd you are being offered 11.8 to 11.6 in the quarter and 3.1 to 2.9 0-60 with roll out) which offers only an improvement in current in the wild 0-60 times as the P85D already does 11.6 in the quarter. Those numbers would take a P85DL to the performance specs of the current P90DL (which will hopefully get a firmware upgrade so that ones in the wild can achieve the magical magazine car numbers of 2.6/10.9).

The P85DL upgrade had BETTER perform better than the advertised .2 second improvement.

Luckily, there are some California owners in the process of getting the upgrade. With luck, one or more of them will have some VBox data to share soon.

There is the language in the upgrade text (.2 second improvement in 0-60 and 1/4 mile... so, as currently spec'd you are being offered 11.8 to 11.6 in the quarter and 3.1 to 2.9 0-60 with roll out) which offers only an improvement in current in the wild 0-60 times as the P85D already does 11.6 in the quarter. Those numbers would take a P85DL to the performance specs of the current P90DL (which will hopefully get a firmware upgrade so that ones in the wild can achieve the magical magazine car numbers of 2.6/10.9).

The P85DL upgrade had BETTER perform better than the advertised .2 second improvement.

Luckily, there are some California owners in the process of getting the upgrade. With luck, one or more of them will have some VBox data to share soon.
I'm working on it. Results will be shared with those who are kind to animals.

No, don't be ashamed wk057, be pleased.

We need to keep the experimenters like you around for as long as possible so please start dropping the animal flesh off your diet; facts below. (Let's hope it won't be the same timeline as the tobacco/cancer links from 50 years ago):

Processed meats rank alongside smoking as cancer causes – WHO | Society | The Guardian

Thanks!
Bah. I plan to be shot by a jealous husband long before any of that becomes a problem.