Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Does Tesla need a full time CEO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's literally lost half its value since he bought it. He bought a failing company for a historically high price and managed to make it fail even harder. Bigly success indeed.

Edit: Scratch that, it's actually now worth about about a quarter of what he paid for it. Astounding indeed

It's almost like he intentionally tried to destroy Twitter at every decision point.

It's literally lost half its value since he bought it. He bought a failing company for a historically high price and managed to make it fail even harder. Bigly success indeed.

Edit: Scratch that, it's actually now worth about about a quarter of what he paid for it. Astounding indeed

Twitter/X is a private company now, so you'll have to show me your current valuation that says Twitter "literally lost half its value since he bought it"? I guess you didn't read Fidelity's caveat of "Fidelity doesn't explain how it calculates its valuations for unlisted securities, and other Twitter/X shareholders may have different holding values." You're a leftist headline barker.

But again, you'll have to pick your argument strategy to reduce your hypocrisy so we know which direction to take this. Does "money seem to hold plenty of sway" or does he not care about money and therefore paid a historically high price and wants to run it in the ground?

Reactions: Yelobird
But again, you'll have to pick your argument strategy to reduce your hypocrisy so we know which direction to take this. Does "money seem to hold plenty of sway" or does he not care about money and therefore paid a historically high price and wants to run it in the ground?
I think money is the only thing he cares about. He's just also an idiot when it comes to running business, especially so in recent years probably due to cognitive decline in the setting of long term drug use. He got lucky with his other ventures by surrounding himself with people who knew what they were doing. In the case of twitter, anyone competent left or was fired due to disagreeing with their dear leader

• Disagree
I think money is the only thing he cares about. He's just also an idiot when it comes to running business, especially so in recent years probably due to cognitive decline in the setting of long term drug use. He got lucky with his other ventures by surrounding himself with people who knew what they were doing.
Well, many years of results prove you're wrong, but you don't care about real facts. Just your irrational outbursts. Surrounding yourself with people who know what they are doing is leadership job 1.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and dsm363
Well, many years of results prove you're wrong, but you don't care about real facts. Just your irrational outbursts.
I think the fact that the one business that he's actually tried running by himself has failed spectacularly and publicly is all the proof you need. Tesla and SpaceX are successful in spite of Musk, not because of him.

Surrounding yourself with people who know what they are doing is leadership job 1.
Exactly. Paypal and Tesla he bought his way into, the people who knew what they were doing were already present. SpaceX he started with others and is mostly hands off these days. Hence all of their success.

Twitter is a great example to demonstrate what his real strengths or lack thereof are. He bought it, fired and alienated everyone who know how things worked. He threw away one of the world's most recognizable brands due to an obsession with a letter. I think the results speak volumes about his leadership skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363
I think the fact that the one business that he's actually tried running by himself has failed spectacularly and publicly is all the proof you need. Tesla and SpaceX are successful in spite of Musk, not because of him.
Gotcha. Let's ignore all the spectacular successes and industries revolutionized for the environment and humanity under Musk's leadership so you can find your petty emotional argument. Grow up, Peter Pan.

Exactly. Paypal and Tesla he bought his way into, the people who knew what they were doing were already present. SpaceX he started with others and is mostly hands off these days. Hence all of their success.

Twitter is a great example to demonstrate what his real strengths or lack thereof are. He bought it, fired and alienated everyone who know how things worked. He threw away one of the world's most recognizable brands due to an obsession with a letter. I think the results speak volumes about his leadership skills.

EDIT: I see your edit above, and once again you have proven you don't know what you're talking about and will just flat lie. In '99 the fledgling Confirmity merged with Musk's x.com, both companies having a financial services business. It wasn't named Paypal until 2001, which interestingly Musk had been run out prior to that, though he retained a financial stake. Tesla was an abject failure on every level pre-Musk, and this has been very well detailed, but you want to believe Musk didn't contribute, so you lie.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Let's ignore all the spectacular successes and industries revolutionized for the environment and humanity under Musk's leadership so you can find your petty emotional argument. Grow up, Peter Pan.
Those successes would have happened with or without Musk. We'd probably actually be further ahead without Musk. Or at least if he left shortly after infusing his money.

I also maintain that any marginal benefit he might have given us by accelerating the adoption of EVs, he undid 10 fold by creating a generation of anti science idiots with his covid conspiracy theories.

Those successes would have happened with or without Musk. We'd probably actually be further ahead without Musk. Or at least if he left shortly after infusing his money.
A laughable conclusion, and foolish, but consistent with your penchant to say anything to support your inaccurate beliefs. 83% of companies say leadership is crucial and invest heavily in it. It's consistently proven that the role of the CEO is one of the key success factors in companies that have had out-sized success. Many have said "People don't leave companies, they leave bosses." Musk has cast a vision that compels many of our best and brightest to join Tesla and SpaceX and work ridiculously hard to make them successful. But you're entitled to your opinion.

EDIT: Hold up, in your edit it's all about covid? Oh, brother. I think all Musk actually cares about is science! You still wearing the mask?

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd
It's amazing how the emotional and unsubstantiated fears arising or norms forecasted to be broken lead some to ignore results and break the norms in advance. Musk's record of success has been both astonishing and historical, your prediction of the future notwithstanding.
I've been following Tesla since 2005. Own a Roadster and waited 3.5 years for a Signature Model S. So I'm well aware of the company's history and what Elon has accomplished. But that doesn't mean he's perfect. He's become a major distraction for the company in a way he wasn't 10 years ago.

It's possible for both things to be true. That he is/was a historic CEO who accomplished amazing things and also that he's become a problem for the company. It's not like he spends 100% of this time working just on Tesla. Tesla is big enough that they deserve a full time CEO.

Are you saying that if Elon was shown the door by the board, he'd bow out gracefully and cheer the company on from the sidelines?

Reactions: sorka
I've been following Tesla since 2005. Own a Roadster and waited 3.5 years for a Signature Model S. So I'm well aware of the company's history and what Elon has accomplished. But that doesn't mean he's perfect. He's become a major distraction for the company in a way he wasn't 10 years ago.

It's possible for both things to be true. That he is/was a historic CEO who accomplished amazing things and also that he's become a problem for the company. It's not like he spends 100% of this time working just on Tesla. Tesla is big enough that they deserve a full time CEO.

Are you saying that if Elon was shown the door by the board, he'd bow out gracefully and cheer the company on from the sidelines?
Agree strongly that he isn't perfect. I do not share your opinion that he is a major distraction. He's become more of a public persona than 10 years ago, and perhaps you find that is a distraction. I don't. I disagree on first principles.

Further, I do not agree "he's become a problem for the company" but quite the opposite. He is among the reasons for its astonishing success. Same with SpaceX.

I sense you are hung up on the title of CEO, so let me ask: do you think the leadership team of Baglino, Zhu and Taneja are strong? Do you think two things can be true, that these leaders can capably lead the company & be highly compensated to do so without needing a CEO title?

Finally, I wouldn't presume to predict how Musk would react to being shown the door. I think it's incredibly presumptuous of you to assume you know that. Like many enigmatic leaders including Jobs, Musk has actually been shown the door. He was involuntarily replaced as Paypal CEO called x.com at the time. What did he do? He left.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd
Agree strongly that he isn't perfect. I do not share your opinion that he is a major distraction. He's become more of a public persona than 10 years ago, and perhaps you find that is a distraction. I don't. I disagree on first principles.

Further, I do not agree "he's become a problem for the company" but quite the opposite. He is among the reasons for its astonishing success. Same with SpaceX.

I sense you are hung up on the title of CEO, so let me ask: do you think the leadership team of Baglino, Zhu and Taneja are strong? Do you think two things can be true, that these leaders can capably lead the company & be highly compensated to do so without needing a CEO title?

Finally, I wouldn't presume to predict how Musk would react to being shown the door. I think it's incredibly presumptuous of you to assume you know that. Like many enigmatic leaders including Jobs, Musk has actually been shown the door. He was involuntarily replaced as Paypal CEO called x.com at the time. What did he do? He left.
Apple has done fairly well. Tim Cook is also well know and has one comedian who do impersonations of him sometimes. So being a public figure does not make one a distraction automatically.

It's hardly a stretch to say he wouldn't haven't being fired well. You haven't read his posts ever? He didn't tweet much in 2000 and certainly wasn't as controversial as he is now. He didn't just 'leave', he was voted out by board. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2023/07/25/elon-musk-paypal-twitter-x-rebrand/ So yes, he left after he was fired as CEO.

How many people refuse to buy Apple products due to the what many perceive as bigoted comments of their CEO?

"involuntarily replaced" sounds a lot like fired. Usually when a CEO is fired from a company they leave.

Apple has done fairly well. Tim Cook is also well know and has one comedian who do impersonations of him sometimes. So being a public figure does not make one a distraction automatically.

It's hardly a stretch to say he wouldn't haven't being fired well. You haven't read his posts ever? He didn't tweet much in 2000 and certainly wasn't as controversial as he is now. He didn't just 'leave', he was voted out by board. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2023/07/25/elon-musk-paypal-twitter-x-rebrand/ So yes, he left after he was fired as CEO.
We agree, then. His status as a distraction is in the eye of the beholder.

I tried to read your link but it is behind a paywall. TBH, I haven't been reading WaPo much in recent years, after they lost their balance in their Trump derangement and abandonment of investigative journalism in pursuit of clickable headlines.

However, I have consistently read his X posts. And being voted out by the board is how a CEO leaves. This was well-documented in the Walter Isaacson biography, a very balanced read, BTW, and plenty critical of Musk where appropriate. But the Wikipedia summary is more concise: "In October of that year, Musk decided that X.com would terminate its other internet banking operations and focus on payments. That same month, Elon Musk was replaced by Peter Thiel as CEO of X.com, which was renamed PayPal in June 2001 and went public in 2002. PayPal's IPO listed under the ticker PYPL at $13 per share and generated over $61 million."

We agree, then. His status as a distraction is in the eye of the beholder.

I tried to read your link but it is behind a paywall. TBH, I haven't been reading WaPo much in recent years, after they lost their balance in their Trump derangement and abandonment of investigative journalism in pursuit of clickable headlines.

However, I have consistently read his X posts. And being voted out by the board is how a CEO leaves. This was well-documented in the Walter Isaacson biography, a very balanced read, BTW, and plenty critical of Musk where appropriate. But the Wikipedia summary is more concise: "In October of that year, Musk decided that X.com would terminate its other internet banking operations and focus on payments. That same month, Elon Musk was replaced by Peter Thiel as CEO of X.com, which was renamed PayPal in June 2001 and went public in 2002. PayPal's IPO listed under the ticker PYPL at $13 per share and generated over $61 million."
Ok. 'leaves' after someone is forced out sounds a lot like being fired. So sure, he 'left'.

It says he was voted out by the board.

How many people refuse to buy Apple products due to the what many perceive as bigoted comments of their CEO?

"involuntarily replaced" sounds a lot like fired. Usually when a CEO is fired from a company they leave.
Good question. I don't know. I'll let you assume away.

Yes, fired by the board. My point wasn't that he wasn't fired. My point was that he was fired and indeed left. You said "Are you saying that if Elon was shown the door by the board, he'd bow out gracefully and cheer the company on from the sidelines?" I'm saying that your fictitious forecast of a war did not happen.

• Funny
Reactions: dsm363