Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Does Tesla need a full time CEO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s really past the time that the Tesla board steps up to its responsibility’s put a full time CEO in place. Maybe Tom Zhu???

Let Elon create and think up crazy stuff. Today’s Tesla needs a more stable individual to lead the company.

You could see this happening through the years. Elon was the only person who could make Tesla live but as the years passed he was the only one who could really damage it. Not short sellers, not any competitors, not all the naysayers.

Just my humble opinion ….

It’s really past the time that the Tesla board steps up to its responsibility’s put a full time CEO in place. Maybe Tom Zhu???

Let Elon create and think up crazy stuff. Today’s Tesla needs a more stable individual to lead the company.

You could see this happening through the years. Elon was the only person who could make Tesla live but as the years passed he was the only one who could really damage it. Not short sellers, not any competitors, not all the naysayers.

Just my humble opinion ….
Much like Twitter though, I think it would be an impossible job to fill. Very few companies have a CEO that wouldn't be in control really. They might set policy and say something and then Elon would tweet the opposite or embarrass the company with something else. It's a great idea but either they stick with Elon or he needs to go spend more time at Twitter and SpaceX. He'd still make trouble for whoever was Tesla CEO though.

Much like Twitter though, I think it would be an impossible job to fill. Very few companies have a CEO that wouldn't be in control really. They might set policy and say something and then Elon would tweet the opposite or embarrass the company with something else. It's a great idea but either they stick with Elon or he needs to go spend more time at Twitter and SpaceX. He'd still make trouble for whoever was Tesla CEO though.

They really have to oust Elon and distance themselves from him. He'll still be a big shareholder, but they need to be far enough away that people won't associate his crazy talk with Tesla anymore. That's going to be a hard thing to do.

Anyway, we're at the start of my EDD window, and still no VIN, no EDD updates. Boo.

They really have to oust Elon and distance themselves from him. He'll still be a big shareholder, but they need to be far enough away that people won't associate his crazy talk with Tesla anymore. That's going to be a hard thing to do.
Sadly it won’t happen short of Elon doing something that lands him in jail. I’m hoping the competition will be better by the time I’m ready to move on from the Plaid

Anyway, we're at the start of my EDD window, and still no VIN, no EDD updates. Boo.
What has Elon done to warrant being ousted?
Sure he’s eccentric, and has high expectations that he constantly puts forth as promises, but at the end of the day, Tesla is Tesla because of him. And in my opinion it continues to thrive because of him. Hate to say it and I might be way off but without Elon, Tesla would fade away into obscurity and become the next Mitsubishi, sure they make cars but who cares other than the few people that buy their cars.
Drove by a Mitsubishi dealership recently, didn’t even know they still made cars.

He’s a 2 steps forward, one step back type of guy, but even that’s progress forward.

What has Elon done to warrant being ousted?
Sure he’s eccentric, and has high expectations that he constantly puts forth as promises, but at the end of the day, Tesla is Tesla because of him. And in my opinion it continues to thrive because of him. Hate to say it and I might be way off but without Elon, Tesla would fade away into obscurity and become the next Mitsubishi, sure they make cars but who cares other than the few people that buy their cars.
Drove by a Mitsubishi dealership recently, didn’t even know they still made cars.

He’s a 2 steps forward, one step back type of guy, but even that’s progress forward.
Has Elon contributed anything noteworthy to Tesla in the last 4 years?

Reactions: Gpa9504
Has Elon contributed anything noteworthy to Tesla in the last 4 years?
Yes, and probably the most noteworthy for the future is his pursuit of scale. They have put themselves in a position for future success.

Reading your long, repeated EDS diatribes, I've realized you don't actually know Musk's or Tesla's history, and you have accepted the incorrect leftist talking points that have been repeated until they become accepted. Fine. You're entitled to your ill-informed opinion.

Fact is, everything Musk has touched has turned to gold, from the original Go2 mapping company that he started with nothing but 100K of college debt, through PayPal, SpaceX, Starlink, and Tesla. He has revolutionized multiple industries. He's taken most of those proceeds and put it on the line most notably at SpaceX and Tesla. These are the results, and they are undebatable.

Do I agree with everything he's done? Absolutely not. Yet at great financial risk to himself, he has put it all on the line multiple times. Money doesn't hold the sway with him as it has with so many. He's something of a thrill junkie it seems.

I had the same reaction when reading about Steve Jobs. Brilliant, but flawed, and sometimes a brutal leader. So it is.

Yes, and probably the most noteworthy for the future is his pursuit of scale. They have put themselves in a position for future success.

Reading your long, repeated EDS diatribes, I've realized you don't actually know Musk's or Tesla's history, and you have accepted the incorrect leftist talking points that have been repeated until they become accepted. Fine. You're entitled to your ill-informed opinion.

Fact is, everything Musk has touched has turned to gold, from the original Go2 mapping company that he started with nothing but 100K of college debt, through PayPal, SpaceX, Starlink, and Tesla. He has revolutionized multiple industries. He's taken most of those proceeds and put it on the line most notably at SpaceX and Tesla. These are the results, and they are undebatable.

Do I agree with everything he's done? Absolutely not. Yet at great financial risk to himself, he has put it all on the line multiple times. Money doesn't hold the sway with him as it has with so many. He's something of a thrill junkie it seems.

I had the same reaction when reading about Steve Jobs. Brilliant, but flawed, and sometimes a brutal leader. So it is.
Can you name some of those accomplishments within the last 4 years?

We've been through much of this conversation before so I'm not going to spend too much time on it:

1) Musk started off with far more than "nothing but 100k of college debt". He grew up in wealth and on top of that benefitted from a legal framework within his country that treated people with his skin color a privileged status. He had started Zip2 with the help of money his father gave him.

2) He did not found Paypal, he did not found Tesla. He brought capital to those companies. He did not provide any significant technical or scientific knowhow to any of his companies including SpaceX -- beyond slapping his name on papers other people wrote and claiming to have knowledge in disciplines he was not trained in (i.e engineering)

3) Since the pandemic, he has become increasingly enamored with conspiracy theories. He has rejected science when it conflicts with his means of making money (i.e social distancing, vaccination, etc). And today he continues to wish to erode the rights of disenfranchised members of society, with his particular pet peeve seemingly being transgender individuals

4) Money seems to hold plenty of sway with him with the tantrum he's having over the whole Delaware situation as well as threatening to take his supposed ideas elsewhere (from Tesla) unless he is given a controlling interest in the company

Also I've only voted for democrats since the party went all-in on MAGA. So I reject the "leftist" label and actually do hold some traditionally conservative values. But that party does not exist today and is not what Elon represents.

Steve Jobs was generally an asshole, but at least he was not against human rights, did not generally take credit for things he did not do. He also truly did arise from nothing, being an orphan adopted by a middle class family and rising to the top with his business acumen and connections he made over the years. He also specifically acknowledged he could not have created Apple without Woz. Steve Jobs' arrogance was ultimately a major contributor to his death nonetheless.

Last edited:

We've been through much of this conversation before so I'm not going to spend too much time on it:

1) Musk started off with far more than "nothing but 100k of college debt". He grew up in wealth and on top of that benefitted from a legal framework within his country that treated people with his skin color a privileged status. He had started Zip2 with the help of money his father gave him.

2) He did not found Paypal, he did not found SpaceX, He did not found Tesla. He brought capital to those companies. He did not provide any significant technical or scientific knowhow beyond slapping his name on papers other people wrote and claiming to have knowledge in disciplines he was not trained in (i.e engineering)

3) Since the pandemic, he has become increasingly enamored with conspiracy theories. He has rejected science when it conflicts with his means of making money (i.e social distancing, vaccination, etc). And today he continues to wish to erode the rights of disenfranchised members of society, with his particular pet peeve seemingly being transgender individuals

4) Money seems to hold plenty of sway with him with the tantrum he's having over the whole Delaware situation as well as threatening to take his supposed ideas elsewhere (from Tesla) unless he is given a controlling interest in the company

Also I've only voted for democrats since the party went all-in on MAGA. So I reject the "leftist" label and actually do hold some traditionally conservative values. But that party does not exist today and is not what Elon represents.

Steve Jobs was generally an asshole, but at least he was not against human rights, did not generally take credit for things he did not do. He also truly did arise from nothing, being an orphan adopted by a middle class family and rising to the top with his business acumen and connections he made over the years. He also specifically acknowledged he could not have created Apple without Woz.
That's a nice reply. Thank you. Full of the expected leftist tropes, but it is nicely said.

1) You're wrong, but you don't know the history. You haven't read enough to know. Example: how much did his father give him?

2) You're mostly wrong on Paypal, completely wrong on SpaceX, and kind of right on Tesla, though the company was wildly unsuccessful until Musk invested and joined. I've seen you argue both that Musk is a tyrant and control freak, and then argue he didn't contribute anything. Why don't you pick one of those argument strategies, and we'll discuss further.

3) Your politics on display, and like any good leftist you can't see the nuance in it.

EDIT: 4) Sorry, I forgot this one. Very clear you are an MSNBC viewer. The vast majority of business analysts have said how bad this is for Delaware to reverse this agreement made in 2018. If you understood it, you would realize it's every board's dream comp plan for the CEO - he gets nothing if he doesn't hit wildly difficult targets. Musk hit them, and his board and shareholders are very happy with the stock performance. You don't understand what actually happened.

Steve Jobs was an "asshole" to many, and yet the broader public who didn't know him herald him. You haven't actually read enough about Musk to know that level of detail because your EDS is in the way.

Last edited:

2) He did not found Paypal, he did not found Tesla. He brought capital to those companies. He did not provide any significant technical or scientific knowhow to any of his companies including SpaceX -- beyond slapping his name on papers other people wrote and claiming to have knowledge in disciplines he was not trained in (i.e engineering)

Steve Jobs was generally an asshole, but at least he was not against human rights, did not generally take credit for things he did not do. He also truly did arise from nothing, being an orphan adopted by a middle class family and rising to the top with his business acumen and connections he made over the years. He also specifically acknowledged he could not have created Apple without Woz. Steve Jobs' arrogance was ultimately a major contributor to his death nonetheless.
Let's bring this back to MSLR deliveries and not politics and he said/she said (they said) on what Elon has accomplished. Didn't come here to argue or read about the science behind vaccinations or trans rights.

He was one of the rare lucky ones to have pancreatic cancer diagnosed really early but shunned the modern medicine that would have saved him.
Yeah, Jobs had super unusual dietary habits most of his life. Later it life he abandoned most of it. Been awhile since I've read about him - did he go some holistic route on the pancreatic cancer? Don't remember.

Yes, hype.
Which in turn keeps Tesla in the spotlight which sells vehicles.

Let’s say they oust him for a boring CEO who graduated from the Milford Academy, where he was taught to neither be seen nor heard. Teslas technological advances alone aren’t going to keep the company in the spotlight.
They need to transition to a company that can run on more than hype.

Tesla is no longer the leader in battery tech, motor tech, or “self driving”. That hype is going to run dry.

Much like one other famous person he started copying, he would not go quietly. He'd take every opportunity to bash the company so while I think they have to cut ties, it will be painful to the stock and company.

Much like one other famous person he started copying, he would not go quietly. He'd take every opportunity to bash the company so while I think they have to cut ties, it will be painful to the stock and company.
Now if the stock falls anyway, there might be a convenient excuse. I am curious about how q1 will go for them. There are some indications that the model Y isn’t selling too hot right now, but this company always seems to pull something out of its ass at the 11th hour to keep investors happy.

Reactions: dsm363
It's amazing how the emotional and unsubstantiated fears arising or norms forecasted to be broken lead some to ignore results and break the norms in advance. Musk's record of success has been both astonishing and historical, your prediction of the future notwithstanding.

It's amazing how the emotional and unsubstantiated fears arising or norms forecasted to be broken lead some to ignore results and break the norms in advance. Musk's record of success has been both astounding and historical, your prediction of the future notwithstanding.
Indeed, his performance as head of Twitter is both astounding and historical hysterical

I know, right? You probably saw as I did the CNBC analyst reporting just today that Twitter 1.0 lost $1B in the year before the acquisition, and they will probably earn $200M this year. Another Musk success story.
It's literally lost half its value since he bought it. He bought a failing company for a historically high price and managed to make it fail even harder. Bigly success indeed.

Edit: Scratch that, it's actually now worth about about a quarter of what he paid for it. Astounding indeed