Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it mean anything: Model X mule(s) show signs of opposite-side charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, well here's a crazy idea based on what I spied from an interior walkthrough video... It is something I have on my Merc, and use every day, but is MISSING on the MS...
The cruise control stalk has the word LIM on it (aka speed LIMITER).
I'm really hoping future models X and 3 have this feature included.

Cheers, Greg.

Considering that Tesla uses Mercedes Benz stalks, it could just be a part from Mercedes Benz's parts bin that wasn't yet customized for Tesla?

Considering that Tesla uses Mercedes Benz stalks, it could just be a part from Mercedes Benz's parts bin that wasn't yet customized for Tesla?

My electric b-class (tesla inside) doesn't have Lim on the stalk but automatically limits speed and engages regen on certain downhill patterns, you can allow it to go faster by pressing the accelerator.

Points to 1208 for thinking outside the box at least. :) I also liked the idea by some to use the Model S as a backup battery for your house...

I didn't see this mentioned before but maybe it's a built-in CHAdeMO or SAE Combo port? At least one other EV has different charging ports on opposite sides of the car.

Nice ideas, but I do find them unlikely. For two reasons:

1) CHAdeMO and SAE Combo connectors are absolutely huge. The would not fit into the small Tesla charge port and on Model X mules this area (on both sides) looks pretty similar than on the Model S. So, I don't think these alternatives would fit.

2) I see Tesla's approach as similar to Apple's: keep it simple, keep connectors to the minimum, even if it - ironically - keeps things a bit less simple through added need for adapters. But I think Tesla will like to stick to one port, one connector, and provide adapters as needed rather than add several ports.

1) CHAdeMO and SAE Combo connectors are absolutely huge. The would not fit into the small Tesla charge port and on Model X mules this area (on both sides) looks pretty similar than on the Model S. So, I don't think these alternatives would fit.

2) I see Tesla's approach as similar to Apple's: keep it simple, keep connectors to the minimum, even if it - ironically - keeps things a bit less simple through added need for adapters. But I think Tesla will like to stick to one port, one connector, and provide adapters as needed rather than add several ports.

Ah, good point. I was thinking it would be nice to have multiple fast charging ports but didn't even think about whether or not they would fit there. When I first saw the size of the Tesla charging port, I couldn't believe how small it was. Do you happen to know the the measurements of the Telsa, CHAdeMO and SAE Combo ports? I did some quick searching online and found charging speeds, etc. but couldn't find measurements.

Ah, good point. I was thinking it would be nice to have multiple fast charging ports but didn't even think about whether or not they would fit there. When I first saw the size of the Tesla charging port, I couldn't believe how small it was. Do you happen to know the the measurements of the Telsa, CHAdeMO and SAE Combo ports? I did some quick searching online and found charging speeds, etc. but couldn't find measurements.

A good question. The best I can do for the moment is measure what I have - the European Tesla perspective. 1 cm being 0.4 inches.

- In Europe Tesla Model S has a slight variation of the local "Type 2" AC connector in the charge port (quite similar to the common U.S. AC charger). It seems to me the overall size of the charge port opening and flap etc. are the same as in the U.S. or at least very similar. The European "Type 2" Tesla charge port diameter is around 6 cm (just the connector itself - not flap/opening is of course somewhat larger but not too much), the European "Type 2" connector being around 5.5 cm in diameter. Diameter being measured as height in this case since the Euro "Type 2" connector is not completely circular. The 0.5 cm difference in the port and cable measurements is just my inaccuracy, but to give an idea. This connector is not all that big, when build diminutively like Tesla has, although at some public chargers I've seen much more "industrial" interpretations of the same connector...

- Now, the CHAdeMO is a much bulkier story. The inside of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (on the CHAdeMO end) is around 7 cm in diameter and outside 9 cm in diameter, a quick measurement, the inside-outside difference isn't 2 cm but it is still substantial. CHAdeMO connectors are, on the outside, about the same size as the outside dimensions of the adapter, so even though on the inside the difference is perhaps not quite as impossible (well, it is still too big even there I think), the surrounding area of the car would have to fit a very large exterior of the connector.

So to fit a CHAdeMO directly onto a car, I think at least 10 cm diameter charge port door has to be there - and the best I think it can fit in a Model S (and I'd expect Model X looking at the mules) is that 6 cm, maybe a 6.5-7 cm if one is optimistic, and this includes the exterior diameter of the charging cable because it has to fit within the opening in the rear-light assembly.

Now, the combo connector, of course is similar to "Type 2" with simply an additional DC extension underneath, making it the size of the 5.5-6 cm diameter of the "Type 2" connector plus extra height beneath where the DC pins are. That too wouldn't fit the Tesla charge port area in my quick measurement, not even if the port was made horizontal, due to that DC protrusion.

I have a theory, and sorry to steal Elon's Thunder at the big reveal but the two charging ports are for the dual batteries!
as the X is a bit higher than the S it has allowed Tesla to put 2 battery packs, one on top of the other.

Well I can dream but imagain a elec car with a possible 1000k range (600 miles)

Parallel parking is out of the box thinking?

Should have read more carefully. Obviously the out-of-box thinking was you, hobbes, in this case. My apologies. :)

1208 did think outside the box in another thread (hence my mistake), though, so +1 to you guys both.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a theory, and sorry to steal Elon's Thunder at the big reveal but the two charging ports are for the dual batteries!
as the X is a bit higher than the S it has allowed Tesla to put 2 battery packs, one on top of the other.

Well I can dream but imagain a elec car with a possible 1000k range (600 miles)

...the convenience of having to charge them separately...? :)

I personally think the only way we would see two charge ports is to make charging easier in certain locations. I know I would welcome a secondary port.

I doubt Tesla would implement it, though, due to the added complexity.

My answer to myself in this thread: It probably means nothing that the mule(s) show signs of an opposite-side charge port. It is probably nothing, and even if it is something, then it probably is a testing setup that won't make it to production.

That is my current, guess, anyway. :)

I personally think the only way we would see two charge ports is to make charging easier in certain locations. I know I would welcome a secondary port.

I doubt Tesla would implement it, though, due to the added complexity.

My answer to myself in this thread: It probably means nothing that the mule(s) show signs of an opposite-side charge port. It is probably nothing, and even if it is something, then it probably is a testing setup that won't make it to production.

That is my current, guess, anyway. :)

How about one side CHAdeMO or CCS (buyer's option), one side Tesla?

How about one side CHAdeMO or CCS (buyer's option), one side Tesla?

CHAdeMO / CCS on opposite side was discussed recently and concluded that it is physically impossible (also, somewhat unlikely for Tesla design reasons), unless Tesla changes the size of the charge port. Two quotes on this at the end of this message.

That said, your message brings to mind another comparison to Apple: the EU micro-USB charging requirement. In Europe it was some time ago dictated that all phones must have micro-USB ports for charging so that you can use whatever charger and thus generate overall less charger waste. Apple, of course, prefers their own iDevice connectors (Dock, now Lightning) and managed to curtail this into just an adapter requirement or something like that.

Now, similar debate over CCS being demanded in Europe lingers for EVs, being driven by no doubt the local car industry but also the nature of public standardization and public enforcement that is much more in the European nature (see e.g. phone operators) than in the U.S., where private freedom is a bit more protected and appreciated in policy-making. This has already made CCS mandatory to certain new chargers (CHAdeMO can be alongside, although there was an attempt to remove that too).

Of course in EU Tesla already uses the local "Type 2" connector (Supercharger compliant variant anyway), extending that to full CCS (since it contains the same Type 2 connector also) doesn't sound completely impossible if required by policy, although it would demand a bigger charge port.

In other markets, if a CCS / CHAdeMO standard port would be mandatory, and Tesla would like to stick to their own connector... then they would have to have two ports just like you say, perhaps on opposing sides of the car.

Still, two different charge ports on a Tesla, seems unlike to me. Who knows. Regulations might change things, of course. Tesla is no Apple when it comes to lobbying might, not yet anyway.

A good question. The best I can do for the moment is measure what I have - the European Tesla perspective. 1 cm being 0.4 inches.

- In Europe Tesla Model S has a slight variation of the local "Type 2" AC connector in the charge port (quite similar to the common U.S. AC charger). It seems to me the overall size of the charge port opening and flap etc. are the same as in the U.S. or at least very similar. The European "Type 2" Tesla charge port diameter is around 6 cm (just the connector itself - not flap/opening is of course somewhat larger but not too much), the European "Type 2" connector being around 5.5 cm in diameter. Diameter being measured as height in this case since the Euro "Type 2" connector is not completely circular. The 0.5 cm difference in the port and cable measurements is just my inaccuracy, but to give an idea. This connector is not all that big, when build diminutively like Tesla has, although at some public chargers I've seen much more "industrial" interpretations of the same connector...

- Now, the CHAdeMO is a much bulkier story. The inside of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (on the CHAdeMO end) is around 7 cm in diameter and outside 9 cm in diameter, a quick measurement, the inside-outside difference isn't 2 cm but it is still substantial. CHAdeMO connectors are, on the outside, about the same size as the outside dimensions of the adapter, so even though on the inside the difference is perhaps not quite as impossible (well, it is still too big even there I think), the surrounding area of the car would have to fit a very large exterior of the connector.

So to fit a CHAdeMO directly onto a car, I think at least 10 cm diameter charge port door has to be there - and the best I think it can fit in a Model S (and I'd expect Model X looking at the mules) is that 6 cm, maybe a 6.5-7 cm if one is optimistic, and this includes the exterior diameter of the charging cable because it has to fit within the opening in the rear-light assembly.

Now, the combo connector, of course is similar to "Type 2" with simply an additional DC extension underneath, making it the size of the 5.5-6 cm diameter of the "Type 2" connector plus extra height beneath where the DC pins are. That too wouldn't fit the Tesla charge port area in my quick measurement, not even if the port was made horizontal, due to that DC protrusion.

That said, your message brings to mind another comparison to Apple: the EU micro-USB charging requirement. In Europe it was some time ago dictated that all phones must have micro-USB ports for charging so that you can use whatever charger and thus generate overall less charger waste.
Seriously? Sounds like your legislators have way too much time on their hands...