Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Have a Smartphone?

Do you have a SmartPhone??

• Yes--an iPhone

Votes: 79 50.6%
  • Yes--an Android phone

Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Yes--a Windows phone

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Yes--an "Other" phone

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • No--I do not have a smartphone

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's of interest, I'm constantly surprised by the demographic information I get on my website, which obviously only caters to Model S owners.

In terms of browser:

Safari - 40%
Chrome - 28%
Firefox - 13%
IE - 10%

In terms of device:

PC/Laptop - 65%
Tablet - 23%
Mobile - 11%

Breaking down the devices for tablet and mobile:

iPad - 63%
iPhone - 25%
Nexus 7 - 1%

So it's very clear that we have a strong slant towards Apple users in general, and from a mobile point of view, the vast majority are iOS, at least based on my experience.

doesn't the MS browser show up as Safari? and wouldn't that throw your stats off?

doesn't the MS browser show up as Safari? and wouldn't that throw your stats off?

No, IE has MSIE x.y in the browser string, e.g., MSIE 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, etc. up through 11.0 . . . unless the user fakes their browser string (rare, but when done, I believe it's usually someone having to pretend to be IE, not vice versa).

- - - Updated - - -

Wow I'm stupid, I plead tiredness. I read "MS" as "Microsoft".... You mean the Model S browser. Huh, no idea what it is--I've looked before but forget. But I think it has a unique string (whether or not it mentions Safari in there) that is identifiable...?

You mean the Model S browser. Huh, no idea what it is--I've looked before but forget. But I think it has a unique string (whether or not it mentions Safari in there) that is identifiable...?

This was posted in another topic in Nov 2012:

Originally Posted by brianman<br />
Um, no. It's a pretty poor test. Unfortunate, since they nabbed a great domain name.<br />
<br />
So if I spent a weekend writing a &quot;browser&quot; that says &quot;yes&quot; to everything and draws a blank page, that implementation would receive a perfect score.
<br />
<br />
True, but we know the car's browser is based on WebKit, so this was more of a quick check to see what features were enabled/disabled (e.g. video/audio tags).<br />
<br />
I saw on one of the Tesla forums that the car's user agent string was &quot;<font color="#333333">Mozilla/5.0 (X11; u; Linux; C) AppleWebKit /533.3 (Khtml, like Gheko) QtCarBrowser Safari /533.3&quot;.<br />
<br />
</font>Based on that it looks like they are using QtWebKit as the base, and most likely running version 2.0, so it is a bit dated:<br />
<br />
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitRelease20&quot;]QtWebKitRelease20 WebKit[/url]

Gosh am I old-fashioned. I still use a 2007 Nokia N73 phone. But I have to admit I am at least contemplating getting a Galaxy S4 Mini ;-)
(Wouldn't dream of wasting my money on Apple products though, have never seen anything with a worse value for money ratio. But to each his own.)
Otoh, I hardly ever use my phone other than in an emergency, so spending hundreds of Euros on a smartphone (plus quite a bit monthly on a new provider contract) doesn't really seem like a wise decision. Rather save that money towards a nicely equipped Tesla Gen 3...

Gosh am I old-fashioned. I still use a 2007 Nokia N73 phone. But I have to admit I am at least contemplating getting a Galaxy S4 Mini ;-)
(Wouldn't dream of wasting my money on Apple products though, have never seen anything with a worse value for money ratio. But to each his own.)
Otoh, I hardly ever use my phone other than in an emergency, so spending hundreds of Euros on a smartphone (plus quite a bit monthly on a new provider contract) doesn't really seem like a wise decision. Rather save that money towards a nicely equipped Tesla Gen 3...

Having owned/used just about every phone under the sun and always carrying both an android phone and an iPhone, I couldn't disagree with you more. If you want something that works consistently, and reliably without loading custom ROMs, I'd say the iPhone is the best value as far as smart phones are concerned.

Where's the option for Blackberry? Yeah....I really do still have and use and like mine. Crazy, I know. But I think getting the MS may be what pushes me over the edge to have to get an iphone or Droid, since I doubt Tesla's working on a BB app right now. :rolleyes: I do have an ipad, which I plan to use to access the car until my ATT contract is up and I can get a new phone. But....I currently use a hotspot to access the internet from my ipad (another cheapo that doesn't like multiple monthly charges!)...and I suspect that's going to get annoyingly cumbersome. Thus, I may breakdown and reactivate the 3G on my ipad for a few months as a compromise.

I've been doing a lot of reading comparing the iphone to a droid, and it seems there are some strong opinions both ways. But can anyone comment as a prior BB users, which one they prefer? Or is that question a joke in and of itself :biggrin: Since I have an ipad, and am reasonable comfortable and familiar with it....I guess I'm leaning toward an iphone, also because its smaller. But the droid does have me intrigued.

I'd also be curious of the measly two other people (as of right now) that have an 'other' smart phone, are those BBs? I'm not familiar with any 'other' kinds than that....

Last edited:
Where's the option for Blackberry? Yeah....I really do still have and use and like mine. Crazy, I know. But I think getting the MS may be what pushes me over the edge to have to get an iphone or Droid, since I doubt Tesla's working on a BB app right now. :rolleyes: I do have an ipad, which I plan to use to access the car until my ATT contract is up and I can get a new phone. But....I currently use a hotspot to access the internet from my ipad (another cheapo that doesn't like multiple monthly charges!)...and I suspect that's going to get annoyingly cumbersome. Thus, I may breakdown and reactivate the 3G on my ipad for a few months as a compromise.

T-Mobile is offering free 200Mbyte/month data-only plans. Am not sure as to the catch but my sister says its safe enough to turn our parents loose with one.

My iPhone on AT&T Mobile Sharing account will serve as a hotspot for anything WiFi.