Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least it looks like the front door glass can be retrofitted. Maybe even the insulation if we can more precisely identify what was changed. From the different part numbers, it is clear the dimming mirrors and glass is different, but without knowing if the wiring harness is already in the doors, it is unknown if they are capable of being retrofitted.

I just swapped from 19"s into 18"s for my winter set and it noticeably softens the ride. We have bad roads leading into where we live and I wanted more sidewall, this really helps. PSI was set at 42.

I went with Tesla Aero wheels from the Model 3 because I plan to still use the aero covers to maximize range on road trips. Also cost was lower ($2200 for the full set including TPMS sensors and aero covers) compared with most other options I've looked at.

I went with 235/55/18 tire size, 104T XL rated (General Altimax Arctic 12 based on good reviews on TireRack). The tire is narrower than stock by 20mm and outer diameter is just a fraction of percent larger. Perhaps giving up some of the performance edge but I'm OK with that for my winter set. Car still feels crazy fast with the new set and I like having the softer rubber as the temperature drops. My Model Y VIN is 60xx.

I already have a set of 18" Aero wheels from my previous Model 3 and plan to use them on my Model Y with Michelin X-Ice Xi3's in the 245/50-18 size. It's great to hear of another success story as I'm just waiting for bluetooth TPMS sensors to finally get here from Tesla before getting them installed. I too look forward to a softer ride with nice efficiency for the winter months on 18" aeros!

Reactions: skiwhmts
Anyone have a pic of the Y and the aero wheels without covers?

Here is mine, I don't think black is the standard color, I got these from Detroit Wheel and Tire:
IMG_0268.jpg

Is there a thread going about using 18s on a Y? I'm interested.

Yes, it has been mentioned in a few threads, here is the one with the most info and where I first saw someone succesfully using the Aero 18"s including pics with the covers:

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Noflash and Stach
I am bringing back this thread because I have a question about the 18" rims. I have 18" rims with Blizzaks and Tesla TPMS sensors on the way from Tire Rack. They confirmed that they will fit my Y. The question I have is how to configure the wheels for the car in the in car menu. The dropdown menu does not mention 18" wheels. I know that tire rack does a great job at keeping the total diameter the same so I am wondering if it even matters? I apologize if this has been covered before, but I searched and couldn't find these specifics.
Thanks!
Pat

I am bringing back this thread because I have a question about the 18" rims. I have 18" rims with Blizzaks and Tesla TPMS sensors on the way from Tire Rack. They confirmed that they will fit my Y. The question I have is how to configure the wheels for the car in the in car menu. The dropdown menu does not mention 18" wheels. I know that tire rack does a great job at keeping the total diameter the same so I am wondering if it even matters? I apologize if this has been covered before, but I searched and couldn't find these specifics.
Thanks!
Pat

Probably one of the biggest things that does change when changing the wheel is the tire pressure warning range. But things like traction control and regen characteristics might change and are compensated for too.

And different size wheels get different load range specs. Load range specs go up as rim size goes down. Probably because of more stress on sidewalks. Which is also related to recommended pressure. So how do you or tirerack know the correct load range and pressure to use for an 18”. Let alone tell the car what you’ve done. And why didn’t Tesla even offer an 18”, when they already had them.

For that reason, I wouldn’t put any non OEM tire size or rim on any car let alone a Tesla. I personally won’t even go with non OEM wheels.

No one but the programmers can tell you exactly what that setting does. And I’m sure you’ll get a wide range of answers from Tesla if you asked them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sixth and patnshan
Probably one of the biggest things that does change when changing the wheel is the tire pressure warning range. But things like traction control and regen characteristics might change and are compensated for too.

And different size wheels get different load range specs. Load range specs go up as rim size goes down. Probably because of more stress on sidewalks. Which is also related to recommended pressure. So how do you or tirerack know the correct load range and pressure to use for an 18”. Let alone tell the car what you’ve done. And why didn’t Tesla even offer an 18”, when they already had them.

For that reason, I wouldn’t put any non OEM tire size or rim on any car let alone a Tesla. I personally won’t even go with non OEM wheels.

No one but the programmers can tell you exactly what that setting does. And I’m sure you’ll get a wide range of answers from Tesla if you asked them.

I get your point. Tire Rack is quite familiar with load ratings and such. They also are familiar with overall diameter and why one shouldn't change that. I got 18's because as you probably know, more rubber in snow tires is better than less. They've been in the business longer than anyone else. I've downsized rims and up sized tires on many cars before this based on their -1, -2, etc. recommendations, it is never an issue. It is done all the time.
My question is specifically to those who've put 18's on a Model Y, is there any configuration required? I do appreciate your response.
Pat

Reactions: Sixth

Load range specs do not go up as rim size goes down. The 21s are rated for a higher load than the 20s. Regardless, rim size has zero to do with load capacity. The load rating of both the wheel and the tire are what determine load rating. The GAWR also matters of course, but the axles all have the same load rating on the Y. Also, Tesla does not have an 18" wheel for the Y. The Model 3 wheels have too low a load rating to be used safely with the Y.

The stock 19" tires on the Y are load rated for 900 kg. (104) As long as your wheels are rated for 900 kg+ and your tires are load range 104 or higher you're good to go. the next things to consider are center bore size, bolt pattern, offset, will the brakes clear, and will the mounting flange of the wheel match the car. Martian makes 18" wheels which fit, so other wheel makers probably do as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sixth and patnshan
My question is specifically to those who've put 18's on a Model Y, is there any configuration required? I do appreciate your response.
Pat

The TPMS sensors will automatically configure themselves after a few miles. If your tire diameter is close to stock, the speedometer will be fine. Even if not, I believe the speedometer will automatically calibrate with GPS, but I could be wrong there. All you can do to change configuration is select one of the stock offerings. All that will do is change the picture of the car on the screen and adjust expected range. If you're going from an aero wheel--all of the stock offerings--to a non-aero wheel, you're going to see a decrease in range in real world driving above 50 mph. If you're going to an aerodynamic wheel with a smaller rim size, you should see an increase in real world range.

Reactions: patnshan
Load range specs do not go up as rim size goes down. The 21s are rated for a higher load than the 20s. Regardless, rim size has zero to do with load capacity. The load rating of both the wheel and the tire are what determine load rating. The GAWR also matters of course, but the axles all have the same load rating on the Y. Also, Tesla does not have an 18" wheel for the Y. The Model 3 wheels have too low a load rating to be used safely with the Y.

The stock 19" tires on the Y are load rated for 900 kg. (104) As long as your wheels are rated for 900 kg+ and your tires are load range 104 or higher you're good to go. the next things to consider are center bore size, bolt pattern, offset, will the brakes clear, and will the mounting flange of the wheel match the car. Martian makes 18" wheels which fit, so other wheel makers probably do as well.
I am not sure if I understood when you stated "The GAWR also matters of course, but the axles all have the same load rating on the Y."

I am looking at the 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual, page 189. There is a table of vehicle weights:

Model Y Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR)
19" wheels Front/Rear GAWR: 3607/3607 lbs
20" wheels, Front/Rear GAWR: 3307/3307 lbs
21" wheels, Front/Rear GAWR: 3005/3505 lbs

I am not sure if I understood when you stated "The GAWR also matters of course, but the axles all have the same load rating on the Y."

I am looking at the 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual, page 189. There is a table of vehicle weights:

Right and

19” has a 104 Load Rating XL
20” has a 101 Load Rating XL
21” has a 98 Load Rating XL

I think it has to do with a taller side wall needs a stronger tire for the same load.

I’m all for smaller rims for winter. But I don’t go beyond the standard OEM wheels and tire sizes so that I’m confident I get the correct tire specs. This isn’t a Corolla.

BTW, I checked TireRack for alternative tires on Model Y and they do list an 18” tire (245/55R15 103V) with a 103 load rating (less than the 19”). And not tagged as XL either. It should be more like 107 XL in my opinion. Turns out they don’t appear to make an XL in that size. I think it’s structurally not possible with that aspect ratio and size.

I’m sure the car will be fine. But if you ever had a bad accident (unrelated to tires or unrelated to load rating of a tire) I always worry about my liability (what if someone was hurt due to a blow out), Tesla’s liability (something was wrong with the car I might get a denial because I ran tires not officially supported), or insurance might claim fowl for not running OEM spec tires. Chances of that are extremely low. But I figure why risk it?

Reactions: skiwhmts
Right and

I think it has to do with a taller side wall needs a stronger tire for the same load.

I’m all for smaller rims for winter. But I don’t go beyond the standard OEM wheels and tire sizes so that I’m confident I get the correct tire specs. This isn’t a Corolla.

BTW, I checked TireRack for alternative tires on Model Y and they do list an 18” tire (245/55R15 103V) with a 103 load rating (less than the 19”). And not tagged as XL either. It should be more like 107 XL in my opinion. Turns out they don’t appear to make an XL in that size. I think it’s structurally not possible with that aspect ratio and size.

I’m sure the car will be fine. But if you ever had a bad accident (unrelated to tires or unrelated to load rating of a tire) I always worry about my liability (what if someone was hurt due to a blow out), Tesla’s liability (something was wrong with the car I might get a denial because I ran tires not officially supported), or insurance might claim fowl for not running OEM spec tires. Chances of that are extremely low. But I figure why risk it?
I expect Michelin to market MXM4 in the MY's size and load ratings.

Right and

In the Performance Model Y with the 21" wheel size the front tires (255/35R21) have a load index of 98 XL; the rear tires are wider (275/35R21) and have a load index of 103.

I had not seen the optional 18" wheels and tires for the Long Range Model Y. This is just WAG but what if the 18" tires 245/55R18 (Load Index of 103, not XL) are intended for the Standard Range Model Y (weighs about 500 lbs less than the Long Range and the Performance Model Y.) Time will tell.

Reactions: mswlogo
In the Performance Model Y with the 21" wheel size the front tires (255/35R21) have a load index of 98 XL; the rear tires are wider (275/35R21) and have a load index of 103.

I had not seen the optional 18" wheels and tires for the Long Range Model Y. This is just WAG but what if the 18" tires 245/55R18 (Load Index of 103, not XL) are intended for the Standard Range Model Y (weighs about 500 lbs less than the Long Range and the Performance Model Y.) Time will tell.

The alternate I found is from Tirerack. If it was for an SR it will be an officially supported trim you choose. The poster said he was getting them from Tirerack and I think he might have said blizzaks, which I see listed.

I didn’t check front and rear on 21”, good catch.

Unless I saw an 18” spec from Tesla I personally wouldn’t use that size tire. It’s the owners call.

I apologize for not being more clear. The GAWR is limited by the tires on the model Y. On some vehicles the the limit is actually the axle itself and over rated tires are used for a variety of reasons. The Y with 20" or 19" wheels is identical other than wheel/tire. So by putting 104 rated tires & 900 kg wheels on a Y that had 20" wheels, we have raised the GAWR to 3607. I'm actually a bit confused as 104 rated tires are rated at a load of 900 kg or 1,980#. P rated tires are supposed to be de-rated by 10% so I calculate the GAWR as (1980 x 2) x .9 = 3564#. Anyways, the only difference in the car itself with the performance model Y--as far as load carrying--is stiffer springs, which increase load carrying capacity. Since Tesla doesn't publish data though we are left to assume the actual axle rating is 3607#. It's probably higher with higher rated tires, but we don't have any way of knowing that for sure. So for safety and legality we limit GAWR to 3607#. To get that number we have to use 104 rated tires and wheels with a load rating of 900 kg. Also, the GVWR is less than twice the GAWR, so we can assume that GVWR is limited by the frame of the car.