Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" wheels on a loaner Model Y - Not a happy experience.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y LR with standard 19" wheels. Tesla service gave me a loaner 2021 MYLR with 21" wheels and Pirelli PZero tires. For the first time, I experienced what some people have called a seasick feeling while driving a Tesla. My Y with 19" wheels rides rough and bounces on road irregularities, but I find it to be acceptable. At least it doesn't make me sick. The ride of the Model Y with 21" wheels is much worse and is unacceptably harsh.

They gave you a performance model y. It also has stiffer springs (part of the suspension). The performance model got suspension updates in 2022 and 2023 but generally is a rougher/sportier ride. I have a 2022 MYP.

to reduce the harshness, people have been putting different sized 21” tires with more sidewall on their MYP. There is a thread in here about it. I downsized to 19” wheels for a while since I’m road tripping a lot. But will eventually go back to 21” with tires that have more sidewall.

Reactions: Noflash
They gave you a performance model y. It also has stiffer springs (part of the suspension). The performance model got suspension updates in 2022 and 2023 but generally is a rougher/sportier ride. I have a 2022 MYP.

to reduce the harshness, people have been putting different sized 21” tires with more sidewall on their MYP. There is a thread in here about it. I downsized to 19” wheels for a while since I’m road tripping a lot. But will eventually go back to 21” with tires that have more sidewall.
At first, I wanted to say the same thing. But thinking about it, I’d have no way of confirming.

Did the OP actually get an LR with 21”? Possibly, someone at the service center could put a set on like that.

Maybe it’s actually an MYP as you mentioned and the OP just didn’t realize. Then again, maybe it’s a set of 20” Inductions on an LR. Those look similar to the Uberturbines. The difference being that the UT on the MYP has a staggered setup with the rear being bigger than the front verses the Induction has a more square (normal?) setup, being same all around. I mention this as it’s something you can more easily notice than the suspension, but only if you actually look at say, the markings on the tires.

And of course now all that just mentioned leads to a variety of possibilities for what the OP “felt.”

20” Inductions make the ride firmer than the 19” Geminis. Is this enough for the OP to notice? I can only say maybe.

21” UTs are firmer still. Tack on MYP’s other suspension parts being yet stiffer on top of that.

On the flip side, maybe firmness (or any ride quality) is only part of the reason, with something else also factoring in. I want to say preconceptions, but maybe not quite… or maybe expectations, but I’m not sure about that either. There’s just too many possibilities if you tack on various physical “responses.” Not everyone gets seasick at sea, right? Maybe thats what I’ll call the other part, a “mental response.”

I drive an MYP, I’m okay with it. So I guess all I can really say is that it’s “subjective” and depends on the person.

I test drove a 20" LR and my MYP and took them both over some of the worst roads in Chicago, and i found that the MYP really wasn't that much worse compared to the 20" LR. That said, it's possible that there is a bigger difference if you go down further to the 19". I really don't feel that the 21" comfort is that bad except when it comes to gnarly potholes, but I feel like those are rough in any car.