Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display Goes Off When I Close The Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has taken to turning off when I close the driver's door...

I open the driver's door, the display comes on and the media starts, I sit in the driver's seat and everything is fine and stays the same. I then close the door and the display and the media turn off!

I then have to press the brakes or touch the screen to 'wake' it back up.

Pretty certain it didn't used to behave like that. I have rebooted and left it overnight, but no change.

It *may* have started after recieving 2023.6.8, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else?

There should be indicator on the screen telling that someone is sitting in. If seat is empty and you close the door then display is off

Try to do the same on passenger side. If you get in the car on passenger side, screen should stay on as well.

If it will stay on while in passenger seat, then some sensor in driver seat is faulty

There should be indicator on the screen telling that someone is sitting in. If seat is empty and you close the door then display is off

Try to do the same on passenger side. If you get in the car on passenger side, screen should stay on as well.

If it will stay on while in passenger seat, then some sensor in driver seat is faulty
Just tried it - same in the passenger seat, screen and media turns off with me sat there.

Last edited:
Tried to reboot it with 2 buttons?
Yep, I went the whole two buttons and brake route (although I'm not sure that makes a difference).

What was odd, was after the reboot the screen didn't come back on. Held the buttons down for ages, heard the fans shut down and restart, but no display (no T logo even). Eventually I touched the screen and it was all booted and working, just hadn't come back on...

Plan A, troubleshoot the issue
Plan B, open a service request

How do you unlock the vehicle? Remotely via Tesla app unlock button, bluetooth phone key, NFC phone key, key fob, or key card.
Try a different method to unlock the vehicle to determine if the problem remains or goes away
If using bluetooth phone key, try the key card method, etc

Verify the below phone and vehicle settings
Review managed key settings to ensure it looks correct
Review driver profile
Verify driver profile linked to your key method

1680879624877.png

1680879883043.png

1680880033690.png

1680880103238.png

Last edited:
Same thing started for me after 23.2.x Sometimes it will even disconnect the HV circuit when you’re sat inside after closing the door. If you hold the brake down when closing the door it stops the car sleeping.

Also Bluetooth is finicky, sometimes it’ll connect as you get in (easy to tell as google maps pings you with an eta to home/work as soon as it connects) but other times it won’t bother without you doing it manually. Using an iPhone to unlock the car by proximity.

Reactions: spooksman
My car has done this for most of its life. I suspect a flaky seat occupancy sensor but I can’t be bothered to fix it (out of warranty and it doesn’t really bother me). I press the brake before closing the door, and the screen stays on.

Nope - car drives perfectly with no alerts, and like @yessuz noted, the same is happening with the passenger seat...

Guess I'll wait for the next software update and see if it remedies itself...
I had this issue which went away when the seat sensor was changed. Try driving with your seatbelt off (and the door shut). If the car automatically parks its likely to be the sensor. Anything else and it's software.

Reactions: spooksman
I had this issue which went away when the seat sensor was changed. Try driving with your seatbelt off (and the door shut). If the car automatically parks its likely to be the sensor. Anything else and it's software.
No what I’m asking is does it know when the seatbelt isn’t fastened whilst in drive? The scenario I’m explaining would mean no alerts is a bad thing.

You are right I think, the driver's seat occupancy sensor isn't working correctly.

@Alex987854 - was the sensor change warrantee work, as my car is 3 year old now...?

Reactions: doats1
I wish seat occupancy detection detected presence in both front seats.

I’m often in car as passenger setting up nav/audio etc when swmbo puts things in back which then turns off screen when she closes door.

Thanks to this thread I have learned that I can now at least put hand on drivers seat to prevent that from happening. 👍