Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will 100% certainly be back in the coming weeks, very likely with even lower prices.
And, as you previously indicated, the inventory price to beat on RWD is $36,220.

Is there now broad agreement that the $7,500 federal tax credit will be available at the POS in January?

And is there now broad agreement the full $7,500 credit will be available at the POS to people earning less than $50k in January?

And, as you previously indicated, the inventory price to beat on RWD is $36,220.

Is there now broad agreement that the $7,500 federal tax credit will be available at the POS in January?

And is there now broad agreement the full $7,500 credit will be available at the POS to people earning less than $50k in January?
Yes to both your questions, I think treasury came out with new guidance for January.
However, 7500 credit is still available now to anyone making less than 50k. Income limits also don’t change next year.

Reactions: Mayer

Yes, however there remains uncertainty about how much total credit Tesla cars will be able to claim given the phase-in of the minerals sourcing requirements.

Reactions: E90alex and Mayer
Yes to both your questions, I think treasury came out with new guidance for January.
However, 7500 credit is still available now to anyone making less than 50k. Income limits also don’t change next year.
Is the full $7,500 credit now available to all people earning less than $50k per year in 2023, or will that take effect in 2024 only?

They completely removed the inventory discount after the end of the quarter, like they always do.

It will 100% certainly be back in the coming weeks, very likely with even lower prices.
The only interesting observation for me is that during the past quarter, within 200 miles of my home, the best price of the existing inventory was available in mid to late August, not September. So if you are trying to take advantage of inventory discount, keep checking

The only interesting observation for me is that during the past quarter, within 200 miles of my home, the best price of the existing inventory was available in mid to late August, not September. So if you are trying to take advantage of inventory discount, keep checking
Yeah it did vary throughout the quarter. Prices were also very low here ~late August then went back up in Sept before dipping significantly again as we approached the end of Oct.

Another price cut of $2,000 for MY long range. I just got the car September 29th. Too bad, I wish I haven't picked it up yet. :(
Can we do anything about it?
Yes. Giving my case as example. Got RWD last year when it was $48k and did not qualify for $7.5k rebate (ouch)
Took IL state rebate of $4k . Now down to $44k
Gut wrenching $8k or so price cut by Elon. Now $4k in the hole not counting depreciation.
Traded in this year and got same car. (Put 20k miles and lot of abuse since was first EV sports car. Last sports car was E92/n54/335i)
Got $29k trade and bought new in inventory same car for $36,220 this year. This time I get the $7.5k rebate and the IL rebate again. (joint filers get the rebate max two times in Illinois). In the years to come I will continue to chip away at my losses with strategies like this and you can do the same... Lets hope Elon will learn his lesson when Cybertruck starts taking orders and majority potential buyers just sit on the fence waiting for a massive price cut. I am guessing he will launch at some inflated price and then do a big price cut to fool us.. :)

Reactions: saj070
Well, it's a free country and a free economy. I got my M3LR back in 2022 for 51K+tax (no credit) and now it is available at 46K+tax and there is a 7.5K tax credit, so I am in the red for a bit more than 12.5K. Do I have any regrets? None at all. I have been driving the car for about 1.5 years now and I enjoy it now the same as I enjoyed the car at delivery day. Life is short everybody, enjoy your Tesla's.

Well, it's a free country and a free economy. I got my M3LR back in 2022 for 51K+tax (no credit) and now it is available at 46K+tax and there is a 7.5K tax credit, so I am in the red for a bit more than 12.5K. Do I have any regrets? None at all. I have been driving the car for about 1.5 years now and I enjoy it now the same as I enjoyed the car at delivery day. Life is short everybody, enjoy your Tesla's.
Got my M3 RWD in July for $38.2K. Discounts on top of that included $500 referral code, $3,000 power company rebate (plus free Level 2 charger), $7,500 state rebate, and the $7,500 fed tax credit. Not too shabby.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
Got my M3 RWD in July for $38.2K. Discounts on top of that included $500 referral code, $3,000 power company rebate (plus free Level 2 charger), $7,500 state rebate, and the $7,500 fed tax credit. Not too shabby.
How’d you thread the needle to be both rich enough for a $7500 fed tax credit and poor enough for the low income $7500 state rebate?

• Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots
It is $200k for the CA clean air rebate. Not so easy though as a lot of joint filers would easily surpass $200k in CA, yet still be “poor” with CA cost of living.
I also don’t think the 200K applies to a “couple” in the household.. the household size has to be EIGHT ppl, for the 200K max income to be allowable.. for a two person household, the enhance rebate phases out at at 78K.. And the car must be less than 45K

Last edited:
I also don’t think the 200K applies to a “couple” in the household.. the household size has to be EIGHT ppl, for the 200K max income to be allowable.. for a two person household, the enhance rebate phases out at at 78K.. And the car must be less than 45K
The CA CVRP income limits are based on income caps of your AGI as either single ($135k), head of household ($175k), or joint ($200k).
No one cares how many people you have living in the household.
The limit is MSRP $45k for cars or $60k for large vehicles.

The CA CVRP income limits are based on income caps of your AGI as either single ($135k), head of household ($175k), or joint ($200k).
No one cares how many people you have living in the household.
The limit is MSRP $45k for cars or $60k for large vehicles.
This is what this is based on..for the ‘enhanced’ or “increased” rebates in CA which are the ones that upsize it based on income thresholds.. per post #717, which was referencing post #714 where they were indicating being eligible to get BOTH the Federal $7500 rebate/credit AND the $7500 CA state rebate/credit. Like they, post #717 author and I have said before, it’s pretty hard to have enough tax liability to get the full $7500 FED tax CREDIT AND have low enough income to ALSO get the CA state $7500 REBATE/REFUND. It’s a very narrow Income window of income TYPES, and then household SIZE and income types for CA.

regardless, seems that funds for at least these enhanced rebates have been depleted and will be put on hold and in a queue when/if additional funds are allocated?

Last edited: