Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the media situation so far (No CD player in Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clint, if you do not want to deal with any of this you can send your CDs to a service and have them ripped to FLAC and installed on a flash drive. I am doing this because I do not want to deal with any of it. There are many of these services out there and the cost varies depending on what you want to accomplish. You pay a flat fee per cd (.69) and you can send them a flash drive or they will provide you with one. Then weather you want to insure your CDs and how fast you want them back.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Probably by the time I do it an update by tesla will support my iPod plugging in directly, but what the heck.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I can handle it. Plus I ditched all of my CDs after I transferred them all to iTunes. Plus I've downloaded countless albums and songs over the past.

Since the OP asked:
- a hard disk drive uses one or more rigid disks and stores data by controlling a magnetic field.
- flash memory is solid state and essentially uses isolated transistors to store data using electric charge.

Hard disks are cheaper but slower and use more power. In write-heavy operation they are also more durable, with failure being in the motors and controllers rather than the disk itself.

But, flash memory prices are continuing to fall, to the point that flash is gradually taking over from hard disk. If the process continues, hard drive will end up purely as an archiving replacement for tape.

I buy CDs purely so that I can have an original, uncompressed version (as much as digital can ever be uncompressed) but I listen to music in mp3 or ogg vorbis.

If you don't like radio, I suggest using a service like Pandora that tries to match music to your taste while still givng you a chance to listen to stuff you don't have. I can't say it's added any artists to my CD collection, but if I were a single track buyer it would have added quite a few tracks.

How do I know if they are apple lossless files? Also, will max convert to flac if they are older protected format, or will I have to do the whole iTunes Match first?

You need the original CDs to rip Apple lossless or FLAC. All of the music you have is likely protected AAC, AAC or mp3s.

Open up iTunes and hit Command-J or go to View->View Options and under File click 'Kind'. That will show the type of file each song is under Music/song view.

Getting back on the original topic, my library has an awesome collection of books on cassette tape and cds. I can rip the cds at home for use during my checkout period, but it would be better if there was a bluetooth battery-powered cassette and cd player.

I've ripped all my personal media, but when going on trips especially, we can still find lots of kids books on tape.

Bluetooth capable cassette players that work on battery or cigarette adapters. are surprisingly hard to search for - I haven't found one yet that looks good. I wonder if I have an old walkman.

And while I'm doing my grouchy old man routine, I should probably complain that there's no aux-in for audio. Video would be nice, but that will probably require some proprietary hack of the system. My wife's prius does have a way to get aux in video but it requires a small amount of dashboard hacking (I have read).

Getting back on the original topic, my library has an awesome collection of books on cassette tape and cds. I can rip the cds at home for use during my checkout period, but it would be better if there was a bluetooth battery-powered cassette and cd player.

I've ripped all my personal media, but when going on trips especially, we can still find lots of kids books on tape.

Bluetooth capable cassette players that work on battery or cigarette adapters. are surprisingly hard to search for - I haven't found one yet that looks good. I wonder if I have an old walkman.

And while I'm doing my grouchy old man routine, I should probably complain that there's no aux-in for audio. Video would be nice, but that will probably require some proprietary hack of the system. My wife's prius does have a way to get aux in video but it requires a small amount of dashboard hacking (I have read).

Why would a CD player be better? I know it's a pain to convert them to mp3/AAC...etc but once you are done, they are extremely portable, can be backed up and much easier to play while you are driving instead of finding a place to store them in the car.

Anyway, this might help in the conversion process for the tapes
Converting audio tapes to digital files | Macworld

Why would a CD player be better?

A number of folks like the sound of vinyl plus tube amplifier but so far no one has figured out how to put those in a car. However, CDs aren't any different than lossless audio on a drive (thumb or hard), are more problematic (the players tend to break down and the CDs tend to stick in the players), and are the number one snatch and grab theft item (according to the Neighbourhood Watch policeman).

You can check my post on the first page. I think a Bluetooth headset adapter would work with CD and cassette players of old.

I don't condone using a battery power tape/cd player, but you can certainly do it.

A number of folks like the sound of vinyl plus tube amplifier but so far no one has figured out how to put those in a car. However, CDs aren't any different than lossless audio on a drive (thumb or hard), are more problematic (the players tend to break down and the CDs tend to stick in the players), and are the number one snatch and grab theft item (according to the Neighbourhood Watch policeman).

I've heard of a Bentley with a tube amplifier, but I think it comes with leather, not vinyl.

I found a pretty good solution! This should definitely hold me over until Tesla rolls out their ipod compatibility.

I synched my music library with Google Play Music. They let me hold 20,000 of my 35,000 songs on their cloud which I can play via bluetooth! The sound is good enough and while I'd love to have my whole collection, 20k songs is enough. I guess.

Thanks again guys

I found a pretty good solution! This should definitely hold me over until Tesla rolls out their ipod compatibility.

I synched my music library with Google Play Music. They let me hold 20,000 of my 35,000 songs on their cloud which I can play via bluetooth! The sound is good enough and while I'd love to have my whole collection, 20k songs is enough. I guess.

Thanks again guys
If you are just going to play via Bluetooth, you can lad all of your songs to an iPhone and play via Bluetooth. To Mia, the problem is you have o select the music playlist on the phone instead of the touchscreen.

If you are just going to play via Bluetooth, you can lad all of your songs to an iPhone and play via Bluetooth. To Mia, the problem is you have o select the music playlist on the phone instead of the touchscreen.

That's why putting the music on a USB flash drive until the internal drive is the way to go. If you already have the music on your iPhone it should be simple to copy it to a flash drive.

Guys -

Cashoverass has 35,000 songs in his library which is over 160gb so he can't load it on an iPhone and a large enough flash drive would be expensive.... Look at my earlier post.... 500gb slim hard drive is only $52 and works well with the Model S! I think this is a much better solution than storing the music in the cloud which requires a cell connection and doesn't let you control the music via the touchscreen....

I have my partners 42,000 song library on there and it plays perfectly and is only using about 205gb with plenty of space to load ore music....

Aaron

My 1965 GTO has a 45 rpm vinyl record player that will play up to 14 songs before it must be reloaded. Unfortunately, it is played through the factory solid-state radio at 1400 kilo-cycles using amplitude modulation, which doesn't provide very high fidelity. :)

- - - Updated - - -

500gb slim hard drive is only $52 and works well with the Model S!

Yes, I used one that I got from the Apple Store. G-Drive slim. It must be one of the 2.5" varieties, superslim.

assuming you have Apple Lossless files

Why are you assuming Mr. Eastwood has Apple Lossless?

That is not a default in iTunes -- so for people that just use the stock settings, the files are likely AAC instead...

Please keep in mind that most people are not audiophiles. They enjoy music, but likely can't tell the difference between a lossless file, 256kb bitrate or 128kb nitrate... I know I can't...