Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty rear camera and safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hanging out at a friend's place. Heavy rains. Leaving his house, all my safety features were disabled... Lane keeping, hold, steering, auto drive, everything. I've only had this car for a week so not sure what to do. I was driving a crippled car, while my wife in the passenger seat was trying to figure out how to turn the safety features back on.

Was able to drive home fine, but if it felt unsafe. The only thing we could find was a possible dirty rear camera. So I wiped it clean and took it for a test drive. All safety features were turned back on, even though the rear camera during the drive was pretty unuseable, I never lost my safety features.

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems like losing all safety features in heavy rain is exactly when we DON'T want to lose those features.

Reactions: scottf200
I'd guess you are FSDbeta? I am and have experienced different versions of that that limit your speed.

AP on the highway is much more tolerant. You can set up another profile that doesn't have FSDbeta turned on BTW.

If you experience this again, pull over and wipe cameras down.

Also, make sure to use products that keep your glass and cameras clean (ie. beads water). One I use below.

Trico 47112 Aquapel Aerosol Glass Windshield Cleaner
Specific Uses For Product Mirror, Windshield
Surface Recommendation Glass
About this item
  • Contains no ozone-depleting chemicals
  • Ammonia free
  • Leaves no film
  • Safe on acrylics, polycarbonates and other nonporous surfaces

I'd guess you are FSDbeta? I am and have experienced different versions of that that limit your speed.

AP on the highway is much more tolerant. You can set up another profile that doesn't have FSDbeta turned on BTW.

Also, make sure to use products that keep your glass and cameras clean (ie. beads water). One I use below.

About this item
  • Ammonia free
  • Leaves no film
I have fsd beta, but it wasn't active at the time.

And yes, after wiping down the rear camera all was fine. Just curious why it didn't give me a warning until I've started driving...

Hanging out at a friend's place. Heavy rains. Leaving his house, all my safety features were disabled... Lane keeping, hold, steering, auto drive, everything. I've only had this car for a week so not sure what to do. I was driving a crippled car, while my wife in the passenger seat was trying to figure out how to turn the safety features back on.

Was able to drive home fine, but if it felt unsafe. The only thing we could find was a possible dirty rear camera. So I wiped it clean and took it for a test drive. All safety features were turned back on, even though the rear camera during the drive was pretty unuseable, I never lost my safety features.

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems like losing all safety features in heavy rain is exactly when we DON'T want to lose those features.
It is normal for those features to fail in poor weather. They are all based upon what the cameras can see visually. In heavy rain, likely they will all be disabled. If you are driving along and the weather deteriorates, you probably will get a warning that autopilot impaired due to poor weather. If the weather is already bad when you request a feature, it simply will not activate. The cams cannot see any better than you can.

About this item
  • Ammonia free
  • Leaves no film
I disagree that AP is more tolerant. That was the case, but I've never had FSD turned off, even in actual hurricane conditions since v11. It just degrades and locks maximum speed at a point.

I disagree that AP is more tolerant. That was the case, but I've never had FSD turned off, even in actual hurricane conditions since v11. It just degrades and locks maximum speed at a point.
I have driven AP highway 6 times at least through pretty bad rain with a hint of concern from it. I've driven FSDbeta 4+ times thru *modest* to pretty bad rain and it has slowed down to like 60 on the modest rain ones.

I have driven AP highway 6 times at least through pretty bad rain with a hint of concern from it. I've driven FSDbeta 4+ times thru *modest* to pretty bad rain and it has slowed down to like 60 on the modest rain ones.
Right, but it doesn't turn off...ever anymore. Regardless of weather conditions.

The rain detection on 11.4.7 FSD is terrible, so there are times where it slows you down when it's not even raining, yet.