Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

difference between P85D and 85D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
quick question on difference between p85d and regular 85d.

is the only difference between them the power of motor?

are there any interior/exterior differences?

when i check the info on 85d, It's stated that it has 259hp front and rear motor. combined to 518 hp total. but on the ordering page 417 hp total stated, so I'm a bit confused can someone help me out?

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but just couldnt't find the answers.

Range, P85D has less range.

You can get red calipers on the P85D. You can also get a spoiler on the P85D.

when i check the info on 85d, It's stated that it has 259hp front and rear motor. combined to 518 hp total. but on the ordering page 417 hp total stated, so I'm a bit confused can someone help me out?

You can't just add the numbers. Tesla got in trouble for that with the P85D, see how it no longer lists the total HP?

Depends on when you buy a P85D. The first D's had the + suspension then they stopped putting the + suspension in the D's around April but now, just recent they started putting the + back in. I have driven all 3 and I would stick with a PD with the + suspension.

There are 3 other differences:

On average 85D supercharges 5 minutes faster than P85D. This is related to percentages. For example, if you need to leave the supercharger with 200 miles rated range, that equals to 200/253= 79.1% supercharging in P85D but it equals to 200/270=74.1% supercharging in 85D. Because the batteries are the same they will both supercharge to 74.1% at the same time. But then you have to wait an extra 5 minutes in P85D to supercharge to 79.1% because that's when they both have 200 miles rated range.

Another difference is, the 85D can be driven at higher speed than P85D when the distance you have to drive is near limits. Let's say you need to drive 205 miles. Speed is the most important factor that determines energy consumption. If you can drive that distance in P85D at 75 mph, you can drive the same distance in 85D at 80 mph because you have more rated range to burn.

Another difference is degradation. 85D has 6% slower degradation. This is because of charging cycles. Both batteries are the same and both will lose 5% capacity at 183 charging cycles. A charge cycles is when small percentage charges add up to 100%. For example if you charge from 70% to 90% 5 days in a row, that's 5 times 20%= 100%= 1 charging cycle. The difference between the two happens because they will reach the same charging cycles at different mileage.

Upgrading to P90D will make these three things identical to 85D. In other words, P90D has the same range as 85D.

quick question on difference between p85d and regular 85d.

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but just couldnt't find the answers.

Why are you combining the two numbers to arrive at total hp? Just because each motor can output a certain hp doesn't mean both motors are putting out their maximum hp at the same time and they're not.

The 85D has been logged at 376 KW which is 504 hp at the battery. This output is flat from 50 or 60% to 100%. The P85D maxes out at 415KW (555hp) at 90% or above but starts dropping below 90%. Eventually the P85D and 85D converge in power output at a lower SOC. We still need some more data before we know exactly what that SOC is.

From a performance standpoint, the largest difference is from 0-60 MPH. The 85D does it in about 4 seconds while while the P85D does it in about 3 seconds. 1 second at those times is a humungous difference. Even at lower SOCs, the P85D will still output more power at very low RPMs than the 85D will so it's 0-60 is still much faster than an 85D even if both are charged at 60%.

On the freeway from a roll, there is very little difference and as the SOCs of both drop the little difference there is eventually vanishes.

Last edited:
I'm kind of used to only having one motor in a car before :) so didnt know what to do when you get two motors. considering they are both seperate and not linked, I did assume you could add them up though.

I'm not really launch freak, and standard tesla is already good enough. I was torn between p85d and 85d. did the extra cost to p85d gave more then the extra power or not. It seems it doesnt. as I have no interest in the spoiler or the red clippers. thanks for all the replies :)

I'm kind of used to only having one motor in a car before :) so didnt know what to do when you get two motors. considering they are both seperate and not linked, I did assume you could add them up though.

I'm not really launch freak, and standard tesla is already good enough. I was torn between p85d and 85d. did the extra cost to p85d gave more then the extra power or not. It seems it doesnt. as I have no interest in the spoiler or the red clippers. thanks for all the replies :)

There's a loaded black 85D in Portland with a $10K discount....I think it's $98K and ready to go.

The spoiler is not specific to any model. It's an option on any Model S. The P85D does have more power but it's not as much as was originally advertised. The P85D no longer lists a combined HP output. Unless you're a total car nut/enthusiast, the 85D should be more than enough.

Depends on when you buy a P85D. The first D's had the + suspension then they stopped putting the + suspension in the D's around April but now, just recent they started putting the + back in. I have driven all 3 and I would stick with a PD with the + suspension.
Do you have any evidence that they have introduced the plus-suspension again on new PDs?

If I had it to do over again I would go with a 90D to get more range. Our P90DL is fun but not worth losing the range. And by "fun" I mean a quick launch from time to time but more than 3-4 launches makes almost everyone sick at their stomachs. The car has exceeded most human's capacity for repeated G forces.

If I had it to do over again I would go with a 90D to get more range. Our P90DL is fun but not worth losing the range.

Are you bothered more by what repeated use in the cold, or long trips do to range? Since you aren't far from them, I'll admit making the west to east trek, from Somerset, PA to Hamilton, NJ (265miles) in the P85D. Just curious, and I also realize Ohio doesn't have the supercharger saturation that the coasts do.