Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they make v10 UI better for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just so surprised people like Version 8 better. I have a MCU1, and have updated to v9, and I don't notice things slower. The new UI took a week to get used to, and there is nothing significant that I miss. So, to have the latest safety improvements, and teh latest software seems like an obvious choice. With v10, I think obvious becomes no brainer. If you don't like change, maybe wait until v10 gets kicked around a bit and a second update comes. Just my opinion though...

I'm just so surprised people like Version 8 better. I have a MCU1, and have updated to v9, and I don't notice things slower. The new UI took a week to get used to, and there is nothing significant that I miss. So, to have the latest safety improvements, and teh latest software seems like an obvious choice. With v10, I think obvious becomes no brainer. If you don't like change, maybe wait until v10 gets kicked around a bit and a second update comes. Just my opinion though...

In my case, with a pre-AP car, there are no safety improvements. And V9/V10 UI takes away a use case, which is having the camera on the top half of the display while any other app is on the bottom half. I know I can have the media player on the bottom half, but I keep the map down there nearly 100% of the time. So the V9/V10 is definitely a downgrade in that one respect.

In my case, with a pre-AP car, there are no safety improvements. And V9/V10 UI takes away a use case, which is having the camera on the top half of the display while any other app is on the bottom half. I know I can have the media player on the bottom half, but I keep the map down there nearly 100% of the time. So the V9/V10 is definitely a downgrade in that one respect.

Why have the camera up all the time? And why is it important that it be on top? Just curious.

Visibility. It's much better view than the rear view mirror, and having it on top puts it closer to eye level.

Visibility from the S is ... marginal, at least relative to the cars I've had in the past. I have a really hard time gauging how close a car is to the rear of my car, and having the rear view screen up makes it clear how close / far a car is. I don't keep it up all the time but it is nice to have the option.

Reactions: Chaserr

I drive with browser on the bottom (waze), and backup cam on top. There's no way to do this in v9/10. Period. This is the safest way to drive and they made it impossible for no good reason reason.

Why have the camera up all the time? And why is it important that it be on top? Just curious.
Why have the map up all the time? And why is it important that it be on top? Just curious.

Personally, I do 99% of my driving in familiar territory where maps are not needed, and when I do need to use it I prefer the map on the other screen. I never used the one on the center screen and don't like v9/v10 keeping it open 100% of the time to the detriment of all other use cases. I have no problem with people doing things different than I like it, but I do have a problem with Tesla telling me I can't have it the way I liked it ever again.

The one thing I liked on the center map was the arrival & return to destination % reminders, and they broke those on the center screen too.

The only thing that tempts me about v10 is "Joe Mode". On road trips, there have been many times I avoided enabling AP because my wife was asleep in the passenger seat. The loud two-tone chime on transitions would wake her up, every single time.
t.
Joe mode is not that much quieter. Other thing I have noticed is the blinkers are not as loud and I often thought they were not originally loud enough.

The fisheye lens covers blind spots perfectly. A necessity since we don't have blind spot detection.

I believe there is "blind spot" detection, in the form of display change on the instrument cluster. When activating the turn signal, if a vehicle is detected to that side in a position that would cause collision, the lane marker turns red. The utility of this solution is a different topic, but it exists. I think there's also an audible warning now.

Also, mirrors can be adjusted so that there is no "blind spot" for cars/trucks. My experience has been that motorcycles can still fit into a space between the visibility of the rear and side mirrors though.

I believe there is "blind spot" detection, in the form of display change on the instrument cluster. When activating the turn signal, if a vehicle is detected to that side in a position that would cause collision, the lane marker turns red. The utility of this solution is a different topic, but it exists. I think there's also an audible warning now.

That depends on the when the car was made. Mine does not have blind spot sensors.

Also, mirrors can be adjusted so that there is no "blind spot" for cars/trucks. My experience has been that motorcycles can still fit into a space between the visibility of the rear and side mirrors though.

I have found, at least on my car and my seating position, this isn't the case. The mirrors cannot be angled out far enough.

That depends on the when the car was made. Mine does not have blind spot sensors.

I suspect you have an Autopilot 1 vehicle? I believe that feature may require Autopilot 2 hardware with the additional cameras, so I see how you could not have that feature.

I have found, at least on my car and my seating position, this isn't the case. The mirrors cannot be angled out far enough.

I've noticed a bit of that problem on my current Model S, which is my second. The side mirrors do not turn out as far as I'd like. My previous one did. I wonder if this is a build inconsistency problem, or a shortcoming in the design of the mirrors...or some combination of the two.

I've noticed a bit of that problem on my current Model S, which is my second. The side mirrors do not turn out as far as I'd like. My previous one did. I wonder if this is a build inconsistency problem, or a shortcoming in the design of the mirrors...or some combination of the two.
I test drove an M3 yesterday. I noticed the mirrors didn't turn out as far as I adjust mine on my 12/2016 MS. Not even close.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've intentionally stayed on 7.1. After that I read about more frequent AP nags so I intended to wait for a later update where that got adjusted. Then they changed AP to primarily using the radar over the camera and I read about people experiencing phantom breaking, so I waited to see if that got resolved. Then they made the top bar controls disappear, then took colors out of the maps and made them lower cotrast and harder to read, and I didn't want any of that. Then v9 and I sure as hell didn't want that! It has been a series of usability downgrades from my point of view and I have managed to avoid them. Apparently my 7.1 can't force an update. I get the notifications and clock icon but I dismiss them and no update runs.

My lease on this 2016 AP1 Model S is up and I have an I-Pace on order. Other than driver asistance that doesn't measure up to AP it has a lot that I like: nicer interior, CarPlay, front and rear cross-traffic warnings, 360 degree camera views, heads up display, and gesture liftgate. Also the suspension adjustment is by physical buttons that are always accesible. No navigating through screens to find the suspension controls and not getting there by the time I'm at the bump or dip.

"But supercharges!!!" I don't need a supercharger network because I fly instead of taking road trips, and with free unlimited supercharging not included (except when the want to unload inventory) Tesla loses its advantage anyway. If I'm going to have to pay there are DC fast chargers located more conveniently to my routes than where the Superchargers are.

They have over the air updates but you have to enable that and affirmatively get and run them if you want. They fix bugs and make small improvements but they don't do huge UI overhauls like v9. I'm good with that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've intentionally stayed on 7.1. After that I read about more frequent AP nags so I intended to wait for a later update where that got adjusted. Then they changed AP to primarily using the radar over the camera and I read about people experiencing phantom breaking, so I waited to see if that got resolved. Then they made the top bar controls disappear, then took colors out of the maps and made them lower cotrast and harder to read, and I didn't want any of that. Then v9 and I sure as hell didn't want that! It has been a series of usability downgrades from my point of view and I have managed to avoid them. Apparently my 7.1 can't force an update. I get the notifications and clock icon but I dismiss them and no update runs.

My lease on this 2016 AP1 Model S is up and I have an I-Pace on order. Other than driver asistance that doesn't measure up to AP it has a lot that I like: nicer interior, CarPlay, front and rear cross-traffic warnings, 360 degree camera views, heads up display, and gesture liftgate. Also the suspension adjustment is by physical buttons that are always accesible. No navigating through screens to find the suspension controls and not getting there by the time I'm at the bump or dip.

"But supercharges!!!" I don't need a supercharger network because I fly instead of taking road trips, and with free unlimited supercharging not included (except when the want to unload inventory) Tesla loses its advantage anyway. If I'm going to have to pay there are DC fast chargers located more conveniently to my routes than where the Superchargers are.

They have over the air updates but you have to enable that and affirmatively get and run them if you want. They fix bugs and make small improvements but they don't do huge UI overhauls like v9. I'm good with that.
I would assume it's been to a service center at least once or twice without them forcing you to update?

Apparently my 7.1 can't force an update. I get the notifications and clock icon but I dismiss them and no update runs.

I wouldn't take that as evidence that they can't force an update. Tesla has never done a fleet-wide force, as far as I know. They have selectively forced some cars to update from V8 to V9, though, and they may be able to do the same with V7, if they choose.

If you want to prevent updates, connect to a wifi access point then don't turn that access point on ever again. In my case I used one of many spares I had lying around from upgrades I'd made over the years, though you could probably just as easily use the hotspot on your phone - just change the hotspot name and password after connecting your tesla to it. You might get prompted a few times initially but it does eventually stop. I haven't been asked to upgrade in months and haven't allowed an upgrade in over a year at this point. Other car features continue to work with 4G, but it doesn't bug you about connecting to wifi if you just have *something* configured even if it never connects.

that’s not going to prevent a firmware update. My car has not been connected to WiFi for 3 years. Yet in June 2019 tesla forced a firmware update on my car from ver 8.1 to ver 9 without any prior indication and without asking for permission. One day the car was operating on ver 8.1 software. The next morning there was a message on the touchscreen that the car was updated to ver 9. It was all done over the LTE network. In fact, I was 1000+ miles away from home at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke