Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Service Centre break my screen? I have proof they did!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
(Warning: long post) After two nearly trouble-free years with my Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Full Self Drive, I have run into a spot of bother. A €1400 plus three days Spanish holiday lost sort of bother. And, 8 Kwh lost overnight at the Service Centre. Small beer in relation the the rest of this sad outcome but needs explanation nonetheless.

On problem started on 25 April, display screen things stopped being nominal. The first symptom was the Quick Control Menu button icon
ceasing to work. Being a tyre pressure obsessive, this was an issue but voice control still worked and I resolved to have it seen to back home.
Tyre pressure remained fine.

Then the display went haywire the next day - 19th Nervous Breakdown-type hay wire on 26 April - while on holiday in Spain. See video below for the screen behaviour. What you can't see is the non-function of theQuick Control Menu, the HVAC spontaneously turning itself on and off,the driver's seat heater coming on high, the boot lid and charge port opening unbidden when parked, irregular rear view camera operation, the inability to enter the Pin-to-Drive, enter nav instructions or openingthe pin-protected glove box... and other random things that not only seriously degraded the ability to drive safely, or comfortably orindeed, at all until I discovered a few work-arounds using my phone'sTesla app and voice commands.

Look carefully at the short video, especially the lower right handcorner near the Quick Control Menu icon. This is important. (Trouble posting video. Will add screen shot anon.)

An appointment was made with the Barcelona Service Centre using the appand, after brief text conversations and an online diagnosis I got them to understand the problem. The Service Centre confirmed that they hadthe parts necessary to fix it on 9 May. Sunday, on the way toBarcelona, my wife used her phone's Tesla app to turn off HVAC and the driver's seat heat constantly... more than once every minute for almost two hours. We drove 120 km to Barcelona on Sunday night and booked intothe SB Hotel Plaza Europa (free charging!) to avoid morning rush hour traffic on the motorway and city streets.

We turned up for the appointment a half hour early and were told to return at the end of the day. Before I could return to collect the carMonday afternoon, I received a call telling me the screen was broken andwas not covered under warranty. Did you see a crack in the video?

Neither did my wife nor I see it having driven the car over 100s of Km since the faulMonday afternoon at the Service Centre, after the"repair", the screen was obviously and visibly cracked. We had arrivedat the Service Centre in the morning with an intact but malfunctioning screen and then a crack appeared before we went to collect it.

Apparently, the root cause of all the nervous flickering was allegedly a defective cable. Presumably the screen was removed by the Service Centre technician in order to replace the duff cable. I don't want to have aconversation about negligence or accident but it is evident that thescreen was intact before their repair efforts which then resulted in a cracked screen afterwards.

I showed the Service Manager two videos of the unbroken screen taken inthe past week, showing non-functioning but intact, visibly un-cracked display. Now, the crack was obvious sitting in the car now and would have been observed by my wife and I. However,I got no relief fromhaving to pay for a new display, crack not covered under warranty.

Initially, Elisabeth, the Service Manager, tried to tell me that my button for the automated garage door back in England that was Velcro-ed to the back of the screen on that corner was the reason the screen broke. Not likely as that button had not been used in the pastfortnight while we were in Spain with no visible damage - see video. Besides, the button was in constant use back in England for the twoyears prior to our holiday trip without an issue. That excuse does not wash.

There ensued conversations where the service personnel claimed that they didn't have a replacement display and couldn't guess when they could
receive the part which would entail us leaving the car behind in Barcelona when we returned to England. Taking it as-was on a 1000 mile drive back to Britain, the car would be a serious pain in the butt and made no sense. Flying home for business engagements was mooted. A figure of 10 days wait was mentioned as a replacement screen arrival but no guarantee.

Calmly expressing my displeasure unveiled an alternate solution: they did indeed have a replacement screen for another car and that could be used - and the other car's repair would have to wait. Somewhat satisfactory as it would see us home in a functioning car but we had to "approve" the estimate for the replacement. €1409+ including tax.

Oddly, I can't access the invoice in my account at the moment - only the warranty invoice of 0.00 for replacing the defective cable and greasingand resealing the front suspension ball joints. I'm sure the grinding wheels of Tesla accounts mill will post it anon. I'm sure my credit card company has a record.

Our overnight stay in Barcelona turned into two, the second purelybecause of the screen replacement. We were advised that the car would
be ready at 1730 on Tuesday. We got a call mid-morning that the car was ready was so we could avoid the travail of Barcelona rush hour on the way back to our holiday base. In effect we lost three days of sun andfun to-ing and fro-ing to Barcelona, unplanned overnight stays, and a bill for a screen broken at the Service Centre which should have been covered either by Tesla warranty or their own business liability insurance.

8 Kw disappeared? Full on seat heater overnight? Does Tesla have a secret vehicle-to-grid capability? No biggie compared to the cost and inconvenience caused with the screen damage.

Action list: see what our car insurance covers (nada - besides the damage was NOT my fault), contact the credit card company and advise that the charge is a warranty dispute, contact the next level up of Tesla management and love bomb Tesla on every social media outlet in reach.

This defect has been reported several times passim but the crack appeared while in the OP's custody. This is not the case here.

Thank you for your attention. I hope this never happens to you. I will post results of my efforts to get this sorted

PXL_20220522_131515973.jpgPXL_20220522_131624700.jpgPXL_20220523_061445716.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-122557.png
    Screenshot_20220613-122557.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DigbyChicken
(Warning: long post) After two nearly trouble-free years with my Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Full Self Drive, I have run into a spot of bother. A €1400 plus three days Spanish holiday lost sort of bother. And, 8 Kwh lost overnight at the Service Centre. Small beer in relation the the rest of this sad outcome but needs explanation nonetheless.

On problem started on 25 April, display screen things stopped being nominal. The first symptom was the Quick Control Menu button icon
ceasing to work. Being a tyre pressure obsessive, this was an issue but voice control still worked and I resolved to have it seen to back home.
Tyre pressure remained fine.

Then the display went haywire the next day - 19th Nervous Breakdown-type hay wire on 26 April - while on holiday in Spain. See video below for the screen behaviour. What you can't see is the non-function of theQuick Control Menu, the HVAC spontaneously turning itself on and off,the driver's seat heater coming on high, the boot lid and charge port opening unbidden when parked, irregular rear view camera operation, the inability to enter the Pin-to-Drive, enter nav instructions or openingthe pin-protected glove box... and other random things that not only seriously degraded the ability to drive safely, or comfortably orindeed, at all until I discovered a few work-arounds using my phone'sTesla app and voice commands.

Look carefully at the short video, especially the lower right handcorner near the Quick Control Menu icon. This is important. (Trouble posting video. Will add screen shot anon.)

An appointment was made with the Barcelona Service Centre using the appand, after brief text conversations and an online diagnosis I got them to understand the problem. The Service Centre confirmed that they hadthe parts necessary to fix it on 9 May. Sunday, on the way toBarcelona, my wife used her phone's Tesla app to turn off HVAC and the driver's seat heat constantly... more than once every minute for almost two hours. We drove 120 km to Barcelona on Sunday night and booked intothe SB Hotel Plaza Europa (free charging!) to avoid morning rush hour traffic on the motorway and city streets.

We turned up for the appointment a half hour early and were told to return at the end of the day. Before I could return to collect the carMonday afternoon, I received a call telling me the screen was broken andwas not covered under warranty. Did you see a crack in the video?

Neither did my wife nor I see it having driven the car over 100s of Km since the faulMonday afternoon at the Service Centre, after the"repair", the screen was obviously and visibly cracked. We had arrivedat the Service Centre in the morning with an intact but malfunctioning screen and then a crack appeared before we went to collect it.

Apparently, the root cause of all the nervous flickering was allegedly a defective cable. Presumably the screen was removed by the Service Centre technician in order to replace the duff cable. I don't want to have aconversation about negligence or accident but it is evident that thescreen was intact before their repair efforts which then resulted in a cracked screen afterwards.

I showed the Service Manager two videos of the unbroken screen taken inthe past week, showing non-functioning but intact, visibly un-cracked display. Now, the crack was obvious sitting in the car now and would have been observed by my wife and I. However,I got no relief fromhaving to pay for a new display, crack not covered under warranty.

Initially, Elisabeth, the Service Manager, tried to tell me that my button for the automated garage door back in England that was Velcro-ed to the back of the screen on that corner was the reason the screen broke. Not likely as that button had not been used in the pastfortnight while we were in Spain with no visible damage - see video. Besides, the button was in constant use back in England for the twoyears prior to our holiday trip without an issue. That excuse does not wash.

There ensued conversations where the service personnel claimed that they didn't have a replacement display and couldn't guess when they could
receive the part which would entail us leaving the car behind in Barcelona when we returned to England. Taking it as-was on a 1000 mile drive back to Britain, the car would be a serious pain in the butt and made no sense. Flying home for business engagements was mooted. A figure of 10 days wait was mentioned as a replacement screen arrival but no guarantee.

Calmly expressing my displeasure unveiled an alternate solution: they did indeed have a replacement screen for another car and that could be used - and the other car's repair would have to wait. Somewhat satisfactory as it would see us home in a functioning car but we had to "approve" the estimate for the replacement. €1409+ including tax.

Oddly, I can't access the invoice in my account at the moment - only the warranty invoice of 0.00 for replacing the defective cable and greasingand resealing the front suspension ball joints. I'm sure the grinding wheels of Tesla accounts mill will post it anon. I'm sure my credit card company has a record.

Our overnight stay in Barcelona turned into two, the second purelybecause of the screen replacement. We were advised that the car would
be ready at 1730 on Tuesday. We got a call mid-morning that the car was ready was so we could avoid the travail of Barcelona rush hour on the way back to our holiday base. In effect we lost three days of sun andfun to-ing and fro-ing to Barcelona, unplanned overnight stays, and a bill for a screen broken at the Service Centre which should have been covered either by Tesla warranty or their own business liability insurance.

8 Kw disappeared? Full on seat heater overnight? Does Tesla have a secret vehicle-to-grid capability? No biggie compared to the cost and inconvenience caused with the screen damage.

Action list: see what our car insurance covers (nada - besides the damage was NOT my fault), contact the credit card company and advise that the charge is a warranty dispute, contact the next level up of Tesla management and love bomb Tesla on every social media outlet in reach.

This defect has been reported several times passim but the crack appeared while in the OP's custody. This is not the case here.

Thank you for your attention. I hope this never happens to you. I will post results of my efforts to get this sorted

View attachment 816054View attachment 816055View attachment 816056
Uncanny, almost what happened to me.
In a nutshell : picked up used £60k MX in Bristol, complained immediately as seats broken and screen non functional ( later found out it was due mcu1 upgrade , which hadn’t been done)
Spent next few days “repairing” the car at Tesla . Took “ repaired” car to Spain. Broke down in Madrid. Missed my £3k cruise from Valencia. Called Tesla 6 times to recover me ( under Tesla warranty) Tesla promised tow truck or loaner , no truck or loaner ever arrived. Repatriated the car to UK at my own expense. Returned my sad lemon to Tesla. They agreed immediately to return my £60k.

Here I am one month later , a million unanswered emails to “Customer services” ( oxymoron) still no refund , no holiday, no cruise, No apology, no answers to emails, no hope.

Tesla X is a fantastic car , when it works, but TeslaUK need a good piece of 3x2 rough shoved where it hurts!

Uncanny, almost what happened to me.
In a nutshell : picked up used £60k MX in Bristol, complained immediately as seats broken and screen non functional ( later found out it was due mcu1 upgrade , which hadn’t been done)
Spent next few days “repairing” the car at Tesla . Took “ repaired” car to Spain. Broke down in Madrid. Missed my £3k cruise from Valencia. Called Tesla 6 times to recover me ( under Tesla warranty) Tesla promised tow truck or loaner , no truck or loaner ever arrived. Repatriated the car to UK at my own expense. Returned my sad lemon to Tesla. They agreed immediately to return my £60k.

Here I am one month later , a million unanswered emails to “Customer services” ( oxymoron) still no refund , no holiday, no cruise, No apology, no answers to emails, no hope.

Tesla X is a fantastic car , when it works, but TeslaUK need a good piece of 3x2 rough shoved where it hurts!
4x4 better as they have had the 3x2 from me ;-)

Reactions: M1tch
Ugh, I hate these posts. Having been a customer for 12 years now I have watched Tesla's Customer Service go down the drain. I have been on the receiving end myself but not to your or @Damixa's level. Just left without a car for a very long time waiting for a minor repair. Thankfully we were at home and had a spare car.

Then when I bought my MX They double-charged me for the 14-50 mobile cable adapter. It took 2 months to get that sorted. Sure, it was only $50, but it should have been a simple thing.

The good news is that there are a lot of great EVs coming to compete with M3 (and other Tesla models - I will be keeping an eye on the Lotus Eletra to replace my MX). Non-Tesla charging access is still an issue here in the States but it is getting better. Plus as Tesla opens the SC network it will become moot.

I would be tempted to reverse the charge on your credit card for fraud.

Ugh, I hate these posts. Having been a customer for 12 years now I have watched Tesla's Customer Service go down the drain. I have been on the receiving end myself but not to your or @Damixa's level. Just left without a car for a very long time waiting for a minor repair. Thankfully we were at home and had a spare car.

Then when I bought my MX They double-charged me for the 14-50 mobile cable adapter. It took 2 months to get that sorted. Sure, it was only $50, but it should have been a simple thing.

The good news is that there are a lot of great EVs coming to compete with M3 (and other Tesla models - I will be keeping an eye on the Lotus Eletra to replace my MX). Non-Tesla charging access is still an issue here in the States but it is getting better. Plus as Tesla opens the SC network it will become moot.

I would be tempted to reverse the charge on your credit card for fraud.
Might have a look at the lotus thanks

I suppose Lotus has changed over the years but “frying pan” and “fire” come to mind when making a move due to concerns over Tesla reliability and build quality … but I’m probably out of touch on this one…

I suppose Lotus has changed over the years but “frying pan” and “fire” come to mind when making a move due to concerns over Tesla reliability and build quality … but I’m probably out of touch on this one…
You don't buy a Lotus for reliability ;) My one was a Series 2.5 or not-quite 3 from back in the mid 60s. I didn't worry about service as I did it all myself (and shouldered the blame for any issues). I did a complete frame off restoration in the 70s. Stinking fast. Won lots of autocross trophies...seems like a different life :cool:

Reactions: Adopado
Status report with new info about how the Tesla Service Centre in Barcelona screwed me for €1400...

It turns out that the dispay defect is well known and has been labelled "phantom touch". It's not from a cable or a connector, it's the screen itself. My videos of the dancing screen should have been all the proof needed to get it done under warranty. The crack obviously happened when a cackhanded tech dropped it or hit it with a spanner. This nugget was supplied by a UK service tech who viewed the crack-less display video and said it was a proof that the screen was duff regardless of when or how it got physically cracked. In the UK with a car two years old with only 20K miles it would have been a warranty replacement.

My credit card company and legal advice is take the matter to Tesla UK as it was a Tesla UK warranty on a UK car, then to small claims if unresolved.

Still love the car but if anything happens to it in Spain again, I'll have the thing on the back of a transporter home before I'd let those thieves touch it again.

I got my first formal response from Tesla regarding the defective screen that was subsequently broken at the Tesla Service Centre in Barcelona.

They denied my claim... ignored the fact that the screen was shown defective before the visit to the SC and again proposed the specious theory that a velcroed garage door openner (in place for two years and unused for a fornight in Spain) stressed the screen and caused it to crack.

BS on both counts

I'll see them in court ;-)

If you’re thinking of the legal route, I’ll just play devils advocate for a second…

Limitation of the warranty, Page 10 bullet 3. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-gb.pdf
By modifying the screen by adding the garage opener you invalidated the warranty. The repeated use of said opener weakened the screen and caused the dancing. The screen wasn’t cracked when we received the car into our care (prove it).

No idea what an expert witness would cost you. Asking for disclosure of Tesla’s internal data and reports on “phantom touch”, broken screens or similar might be an angle to try.
It could be a hard case to win. You might just have to hope Tesla don’t try to defeat it and lose by default.

Good luck / keep us posted.

Maybe but if you see the first post, there is a video of the screen with phantom touch going on and probably has metadata to date it which shows the screen to be undamaged and why wasn't it noticed immediately when the car was received for repair. The screen rear shell is very tough and designed for rough treatment (it's hardly an Ipad) so attaching a light remote wouldn't stress it in any way. You could hang a brick from it!
All very odd to me!

Reactions: M3noob
It’s going to cost you a lot more than you paid for a screen to fight this down the court route and of course time.

There is lesson here for everyone with openers and s3xy buttons: don’t stick to back of screen
Small claims fees are well within my budget ;-) I have two UK Tesla service techs that said "duff screen" when they saw the video. The video was dated prior to the service appointment being made. Wife and I will swear on a stack of Bibles about our visual examination of the screen before we left the car.

The crack is immaterial as the screen was demonstrated as defective by phantom touch. I don't want to get into a who/how exchange about how it got cracked though it was obviously "sometime" after we left the car. The size of the button and the pressure required to click the door openner is miniscule. It was located at what is the strongest part of the screen.

Last edited:
Devil's Advocate....

I can conceive of a scenario where pressing on the back of the screen, or pressing on something that is attached to the back of the screen, when the screen itself is fixed in place, is a force that could conceivably do damage. The edges of the screen are arguably the places you'd be most likely to do damage by pressing too hard, because the screen is only supported in the middle, the edges are free to bend and flex (and crack) depending on forces imparted on them.

Is it possible that damage was slowly being done over the course of 2 years, even microscopic twisting/bending forces, from pressing on the back of the screen in that area (i.e. pressing the button)? It's conceivable in my opinion. No one knows how hard you've been pressing on that button, or how hard the button needs to be pressed to function, including Tesla. Obviously any affected owner facing this kind of repair is just going to say that they only ever touched it with the faintest amount of force, whilst wearing soft padded gloves, etc. Few people are going to admit to doing this damage as they have a vested interest in getting the repair done under warranty.

I tend to agree that Tesla can simply say that repeatedly pressing on the back of the screen has - over time - cause internal damage that has ultimately caused this failure. The dispute over when the crack occured is a bit academic, I think, and would appear to be impossible to prove definitively.

I agree with @MrMoonUK in so much as that it is a lesson not to attach things to the back of the screen. This is a good rule of thumb generally for mods. They might not cause any damage, but if they do it's something Tesla can easily point to as being the cause - even if it isn't - and the reason they're not honouring the warranty on it. Sticking these buttons to inert, cheap bits of trim would be the sensible thing to do.

I hope you get it sorted but I think that your only hope in terms of small claims is if Tesla don't respond, which there is a good chance of to be honest.