Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery MS 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Model S delivery today. I noticed significant chipping of the paint around the rear window panel. Additionally, there seems to be a label affixed behind the rear door, as shown in the picture. I’ve never noticed this before, and it appears as though a label of the same color has been applied. When I inquired with the delivery representative, she mentioned that it’s for paint protection. Considering the noticeable paint chipping, I declined the delivery. I’ve reviewed several high-resolution videos of the Model S on YouTube and haven’t observed this affixed label. Has Tesla recently introduced this feature in their manufacturing? What do you think my next steps should be? Currently, the car is at the Tesla Service Center. I can either have the chipped paint repaired or request a new VIN number.

Attachments

• IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_9082.jpeg
    IMG_9082.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7061.jpeg
    IMG_7061.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7060.jpeg
    IMG_7060.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 127
Additionally, there seems to be a label affixed behind the rear door, as shown in the picture. I’ve never noticed this before, and it appears as though a label of the same color has been applied.

Thats Paint Protection Film, or known as "PPF" online. If you google that term you can find a ton (and I mean a TON) of information about it. I am not making any judgements at all on Tesla's implementation of it, though.

Thanks! It was so noticeable and had a white border. Also is it supposed to be raised as this one was a mm or so above the surface of the car’s body.

PPF film is a film that is put on top of paint to protect it. If you dont get an entire surface covered, yes, you would see it raised slightly.

Im not a fan, personally, of partial PPF on any specific car surface, for that exact reason. I feel you should cover the entire surface to the crease / gap, or not do it at all. The "unfinished" nature of a surface plane being partially covered in PPF really (really) irks me, so I have never done that.

Climbing down off the soap box for a second, my feelings above does not make it "wrong" at all.

The TL ; DR answer to "should it be raised like that?" is "yes, the only way to not get that look is to cover the entire panel to the seems and wrap the edges"

Thanks jjrandorin. Maybe I’m not making my point clear. I did not do the PPF nor did I ask Tesla to do a weird partial poorly executed PPF in a side of the car behind the rear doors. And that’s my question: Has anyone seen this done by the factory as a default on a model S 2023? If so was it also on the same spot (please see the pictures) and not even extending to the edges?! And to my understanding, you would want the front of the car (bumper, hood, side mirrors, etc) to be covered (RIVIAN does that beautifully as an option).

Thanks jjrandorin. Maybe I’m not making my point clear. I did not do the PPF nor did I ask Tesla to do a weird partial poorly executed PPF in a side of the car behind the rear doors. And that’s my question: Has anyone seen this done by the factory as a default on a model S 2023? If so was it also on the same spot (please see the pictures) and not even extending to the edges?! And to my understanding, you would want the front of the car (bumper, hood, side mirrors, etc) to be covered (RIVIAN does that beautifully as an option).

Yes, Tesla does Factory PPF on some cars, for some reason, so this has been seen before.

Mine had the PPF film on the rear flares too. Admittedly I didn't notice them on my car during the pick up inspection two weeks ago - it was essentially flawless.

At first glance when I finally noticed it last weekend, I thought I'd been keyed by a very careful vandal who marked very straight lines and then I realized it was film.

Couldn't find any obvious film elsewhere, though.

• Funny
Reactions: SilverGS
If you don’t like it, it can be removed. But removing it leaves the paint in that area more susceptible to rock chips. Tesla obviously feels that area could be prone to such damage.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I had my new 2023 Plaid car PPF'd (whole car). I did it on my last Model S too, a 2017, and 6 years later, it still looked brand new! Also, with both being Black, the PPF makes the car look clean and shiny regardless of if was dirty or not.

The PPF installer (who's been doing it for over 20 years) added ANOTHER layer of PPF on top of the PPF where Tesla puts it. He says the rear fenders get a LOT of rock chips there, and adds the extra protection for the same reason Tesla does: so you can remove and replace it and still have a good surface under it.

Thats not tape, it's PPF. My Feb 2022 MSLR came PPFed just like that. The part in front of the rear tires is flared out and will eventually catch rocks and get paint chips if not protected. It is a sacrificial layer of protection. Keep it on. However, if you don't like it, it can easily be removed. Use a hot water soaked towel to soften it and gently peal it off. I pealed them off, did my own PPF on the whole car including a layer in the chip prone areas. After two years the flair outs in front of rear tires have 95% of the damage and the front bumber only 1%. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

The other paint chip photos show no context and make it hard to answer the question about it.

Last edited: