Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i hate to be the person who fans the flames, but why would it be a safety issue? I assume when Tesla got the approval from the DOT for production of the car they would have also received approval for the seats, I get that they were optional but the data should have been comprehensive to include the seats, no? It must be a supplier issue at this point? has anyone tried talking to people within Tesla to confirm or deny this? If it's a safety issue this will open a whole can of worms, but I am sure it is also something that can be remedied with a bit of engineering. Now that I am deferred i can be on the sidelines and wait it out for a bit, but it does have to get resolved before I commit? Anyone else have some thoughts or insight?

I have a feeling that this may actually be a legal/regulatory issue. I am sure they were NHSTA/DOT crash tested.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are states that have laws against this style of seat.

or

My other thought is Tesla is putting together specific guidelines on weight/height limits for the seats before they give them out. To be legal I would imagine they would have to do this.

Elon has stated in the past that the rear seats will be the "safest" in the car, and he personally spent a lot of time working on making those seats safe. Not just to take his word for it, but I feel mpretty comfortable with Elon and company working on the engineering and physics of making those rear seats as safe as possible.

Unfortunately, "making them as safe as possible" and "conforming with the regulations" aren't the same thing.

Unfortunately, "making them as safe as possible" and "conforming with the regulations" aren't the same thing.

Agreed. Based on a post in a other thread, it sounds like its a regulatory issue, not a supplier issue, which isn't surprising.

Actually, my eight year old has told me she's concerned about the safety of the seats. She knows from school that most collisions are rear-end, so she is concerned of she sits back there. Smart girl, and I'd like to be able to assuage her (and her mom's) concerns with some data, more than Elon just saying "trust me!"

Spoke specifically to my OE Rep today, Sean. I directly asked him if the delivery of cars without the third row seats was a safety issue, crash test issue, or safety failure issue and his response was "no, not to my knowledge"

Okay, very appropriate, considering the political flavor of our nation currently, but I did not stop there. I asked if the seats had any mechanical issue that prevented them from being shipped.

His response was (and I paraphrase): The seats that were in the demo models were beta. They met all the safety requirements, but were not the final design. Whereas the dimensions of the seat were to fit 35-74 lb children from X to Y inches in height, the final produce will be similar, if not the same as the beta. The VINs that are being shipped sans third row (e.g. due bill) have the D-rings and latches on the rear of the second seat in anticipation of installation of the third row

Now, I did not ask him if it was a Ranger install, or a DIY.

So that's all I got.

WJ

It probably was not intentional, but of course there is a difference between waiting for an app and waiting for a 3rd row. :wink:

Of course you are right. I was only trying to make the point that I'd rather get my car and have a due bill for certain things than wait until I can get the car with everything perfect. When people talk about "early adopters" for this car, this seems like a reasonable thing to expect, as long as it doesn't take too long for the seats to get installed.

Since Elon drove with his kids in the jump seats on I-5, there are presumably no legal/regulatory issues with them?!

I think this is the second reported LA/SF Supercharger trip (after the official launch): (using all 7 seats)

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
Doing LA to SF road trip in Model S with all 5 kids & Talulah. Supercharger finished charging b4 we finished our burgers!

A6QhenjCQAEMjLu.jpg

So now that we have seen about 900 VINS and maybe 500 deliveries has anyone else had the rear facing seats delivered or installed? Seeing Elon driving the car with all the seats leads me to believe there is no regulatory issues as some surmise? So what could it possibly be at this point? The car was pitched as a 5+2 seater and I intend to use it that way when I eventually take delivery, but I will remain deferred until I can see some real progress on this issue other than pictures of Elon's one car with the seats. Has anyone gotten any concrete responses from tesla and for those that have received the car with the due bill items doesn't it annoy you that you have pre-paid for something you have yet to receive? I think this message might have a more negative tone but with each day I get a bit more antsy about what to do, so sorry in advance.

VIN 365 was just delivered and, the owner reports, included the rear-facing seats.

Not really. He states rear facing seats are on his due bill:

Sig 376, VIN 365 was delivered to Haymarket VA on Saturday, just in time to spend a couple of days in the garage while Sandy pushed some trees over.

Sig red, perf, black interior, kiddie seats, pano roof, 21" grey wheels. No paint armor. Parcel shelf and rear facing seats on the due bill.

I was given the impression not to expect the rear facing seats at least until year-end at the earliest. I wouldn't expect to see them before Q1 next year, and that may be optimistic. I imagine that there are other issues besides regulatory, but officially there is no one particular reason for the delay. For anyone who really needs the extra two seats daily, this could be an issue until they're included some time next year (hopefully early next year) in cars being delivered.

Can you elaborate from whom?

From my DS (a vague statement mentioning year-end). I don't think he had any special insight or knowledge, but just the impression I got was it was going to be awhile. The rest is my extrapolation based on previous experience with Tesla. I mean, they're delivering cars without parcel shelves and rear floor mats, which don't seem to be particularly complex items to manufacture or install, so rear facing seats, which are an order of magnitude much more complex in both areas, I would expect a significant lag time.

I should add that I asked someone in HQ about the root cause of the delay, whether it was a supplier delay, or a regulatory thing, such that as soon as the problem was resolved they'd start production and installation. The response was that there is no official response, which I infer to mean its not just one little thing that's holding this up, and they're not that close to getting them ready for installation. I recall (not for where) hearing that Elon's seats are betas, so just because he has them doesn't mean we'll have the production version within a month or two. Just my educated guess based on what I've heard (or haven't heard).

Last edited:
The response was that there is no official response, which I infer to mean its not just one little thing that's holding this up, and they're not that close to getting them ready for installation. I recall (not for where) hearing that Elon's seats are betas, so just because he has them doesn't mean we'll have the production version within a month or two. Just my educated guess based on what I've heard (or haven't heard).
I'd have to concur with your inferences based on what you've shared. Thank you