Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, and now we find out why the seats cannot be installed by service centers after delivery. FYI, my son hit this button just yesterday and it freaked my wife out since I didn't know about it either. Turns out it only works when the car is in park. Thank goodness!

I ran into another MS owner at the Gilroy SC today and he told me that rear facing seats cannot be installed after delivery. I don't remember hearing this before I ordered and my wife and I both thought this could be done after delivery. Is there information posted on the Tesla website about this? Is it that hard of a change to make besides this magic button?

It depends on how old your vehicle is.

Newer cars have a different design in the rear safety envelope depending on the presence of rear-facing seats. If you check the design studio now, it's clear that the seats can't be added later.

I think there's a thread here that describes the VIN range.

Newer cars have a different design in the rear safety envelope depending on the presence of rear-facing seats. If you check the design studio now, it's clear that the seats can't be added later.

Thanks, I just found this. Appreciate the tip as a prior search didn't yield the answer.

3rd Row Child Seats Now Factory Only

So a benefit (private resale point) of having an older Model S that does not have a 3rd row,
over a newer Model S that does not have a 3rd row is that
the older one can still be modified by a new owner to install the 3rd row whereas the newer car can not!

Last edited by a moderator: