Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Child Seats Now Factory Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email from Tesla saying that:

• On all cars produced from this point forward, Rear Facing Child Seats will be available only as a "factory installed" option. They will no longer be available as an aftermarket option through our Service Department.

They are giving me the option of adding it. Personally, I would love to if they were half their current price. As is, it's $1,500 for my kids when they won't be using them in just a few years. Easy option to mark off.

Interesting they are nixing it as aftermarket. There really is no reason to unless they just want to stop having the foot well in the back of the car.

Just got an email from Tesla saying that:

• On all cars produced from this point forward, Rear Facing Child Seats will be available only as a "factory installed" option. They will no longer be available as an aftermarket option through our Service Department.

They are giving me the option of adding it. Personally, I would love to if they were half their current price. As is, it's $1,500 for my kids when they won't be using them in just a few years. Easy option to mark off.

Interesting they are nixing it as aftermarket. There really is no reason to unless they just want to stop having the foot well in the back of the car.

Hmm, maybe it's a big odd thing to ship as well, or for safety standards it needs to be done at the time of build? Who knows. I doubt they want to get rid of foot well space though.

I asked several times and got emailed answers that yes I could add them later, so I didn't order them with my car. Hoping they'll make some exceptions esp if I have paper trail showing promises of being able to add later...

The way it reads is if your car is already built, then you'd still have the option. Going forward, newly manufactured cars can't be retrofitted. So if your car is already delivered or in production, you'd still have option.

I am thinking this is probably due to two things.

There are latches required on the back of the second row of seats. Tesla could be removing these mounting points (or others in the trunk footwell) to save weight/cost. There is also a button added to the trunk that opens the rear hatch. Tesla could be changing their wiring sets to remove the wiring to this location.

I would imagine this is a way to lower cost/weight in the bulk of the Model Ss.

I added the third row to my order this afternoon. I didn't get any more information w/r/t why the change. I was on a factory tour today, and I saw the 3rd row seats. I can't speak to inventory, but in eye-sight not in boxes I saw ~30 of them.

I am thinking this is probably due to two things.

There are latches required on the back of the second row of seats. Tesla could be removing these mounting points (or others in the trunk footwell) to save weight/cost. There is also a button added to the trunk that opens the rear hatch. Tesla could be changing their wiring sets to remove the wiring to this location.
From the conference call (roughly paraphrased), "How are you going t reduce manufacturing costs going forward to attain the 25% previously asserted and recently reasserted?"

Here are two examples.

Dammit! I did not order these at this time because my kids are too small (9 months & 3.5yrs). I was planning on doing this in a few years but now this sucks!!! I hope they change their mind on this. I know these were on due bill and installed at service centers later, so technically I think it is possible. I am going to try to see if they will make an exception for us 'early adopters'.

Dammit! I did not order these at this time because my kids are too small (9 months & 3.5yrs). I was planning on doing this in a few years but now this sucks!!! I hope they change their mind on this. I know these were on due bill and installed at service centers later, so technically I think it is possible. I am going to try to see if they will make an exception for us 'early adopters'.

Again, the email states that this affects only cars built go forward. Previously built cars still will have the option. Given your delivery window, I think it's safe to say you'll still have the option. But go ahead and verify...

Again, the email states that this affects only cars built go forward. Previously built cars still will have the option. Given your delivery window, I think it's safe to say you'll still have the option. But go ahead and verify...

I asked my DS and she said no.

Question to my DS:
I just came across a thread on TMC forum saying that the child seats are now a factory installed item only. I did not order these now because my kids are too small (9mo & 3.5yrs), but I planned on doing this later at a service center. I totally understand from this point forward that its a factory installed item only, but is there any chance that there could be an exception made for us early adopters that were all informed this could be done later?

her response:
Unfortunately we cannot add rear facing seats to any order once the car has been configured. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Question to my DS:

her response:

To me, it sounds like she didn't understand your question. It seems like she assumed you wanted to add the rear facing seats while your car was still in the factory being built and gave the standard 'Once a car has been configured, no changes can be made' response. Given that she didn't acknowledge that at one time the 3rd row seats were going to be offered as a dealer-installed retrofit, and they've since backtracked from that, I would try one more time...

Question to my DS:

her response:
OK, I think she is answering a different question. The general policy is that once an order is finalized, no changes can be made to its config prior to delivery. My read is she is answering no as such.

However, this is different. The ability to add child seats sometime down the road is what you want. And previous to now, this was always a possibility. For all cars built and prior to now, you could order and have them installed by service team at additional cost (over and above the 1500 it would cost if you did it up front). I think you still fall under this category, and thus it is a possibility. You don't want to add them now as I don't think you have to. You'll have the option to add them later as described.

But now, for all cars built go forward, if you don't order the seats up front, your car will be manufactured in a way that will not allow you to add the seats later at any cost. I presume a new 2nd row seat part is being used go forward that will not make it possible to add them later. Tis it's order it up front or never have the ability to add them.

Those of us who still have finalized, but pending orders that did not order the seats have received an email alerting us to this change. Because the change might affect people who didn't order up front thinking they could add them later, they are giving us a special chance to change our finalized order to add them now, so we don't get 'stuck'.

If you didn't receive the email, you probably don't need to change your order since you can add them later as everyone previously can. This is my assessment. And I still think the response you got wasn't addressing this. You may have asked the right question, but the DS is responding to the wrong question. You should ask specifically, with your car, will you be able to add the rear facing seats down the road as has been promised to previous buyers.

Anyways, I'm just offering my opinion on what I see in your case. If you think you asked that and their response was specifically addressing it, that's fine. But the point of the email I got (which I included in its entirety below) was to avoid anyone getting 'stuck'. So, if you are really 'stuck' that would seem odd to me that they would do that.

Dear John,

You are receiving this email because your Tesla Model S order does not include Rear Facing 3rd Row Child Seats. We are making a change regarding installation of this option and want you to be aware of this change as soon as possible.

On all cars produced from this point forward, Rear Facing Child Seats will be available only as a "factory installed" option. They will no longer be available as an aftermarket option through our Service Department.

These specially designed child seats are the ideal way to add more passenger space to your Model S while doing something that will make your kids smile. Children love having their own special place to enjoy the ride in Model S. These seats are equipped with five-point harness seat belts for safety and fold completely flat when not in use. It's the best of both worlds, room for two more passengers and fold away storage when not in use.

We are communicating this change now in case you would like to add this option to your order. If you would like to add Rear Facing Child Seats to your order, please let us know by this Tuesday, March 5th at [email protected] or at 888.771.2505. We will confirm your change and update your order right away.

There is no need to respond to this update if you'd like to proceed forward without the addition of Rear Facing Child Seats. Your Model S order will continue to production as originally planned.

Thank you for your attention to this update. We look forward to getting you behind the wheel of your Model S soon!

Tesla Motors

When I picked up at the factory a couple of weeks ago my DS explicitly mentioned (and not even in response to a direct question) that the rear-facing seats could be added later.

I just spoke to a technician in Menlo park service center. He read an email he received from Tesla mothership. Cars that have been completed with VINs higher than 542x will NOT be able to retrofit rear facing seats after it's been configured. Not sure why that cut off but that's the email he received.