Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there AC ducts in the back, if not i would be concerned as well....still no one has sent real time pics of the seats installed in a model S with all the deliveries 500? i am surprised not one person has gotten these yet?

So does back ordered mean that if i order the seats when i finalize that they will not come installed? if no one has received a Model S with the 3rd row seats how can they be back ordered? Also, any timeline suggested by Tesla when they could get them? curious since i wasnt a Roadster owner what happened with the carbon fiber hard tops?
Model S Man, you're asking the right questions and its as if you're in my brain as I was discussing it with that guy who got his S with the rear seats back ordered; he has 4 kids and a wife so said, right now, someone has to stay home! :tongue:

I was mentioning to him that it was like the Roadster carbon fiber hard tops all over again! Though honestly, that was a matter of form whereas this is a more important matter of function! That being said, how does a guy who has 8 posts and joined 17 months ago even know about that carbon fiber hard top issue unless you're really OCD about reading through ALL posts on TMC, and then your knowledge would rival Doug, VFX and TEG amongst others? :confused:

DrTaras, thanks for the reply....i think I might be getting into the OCD category as I have been reading just about everything on the car. I opted to defer my reservation since no one has effectively answered the question i posed and like you said its not a cosmetic thing i am upset about, but a functional one. It is my understanding that with the deferral i can jump back in the line when i change my mind so really not losing much by doing this...and gaining peace of mind before i have to spend +$80k on a new car that is more of a luxury than a need I currently drive a Lexus 450h hybrid.

Anyway, hoping someone will get the seats and be able to show me they are installed somewhat soon, thanks again in advance

Got my car yesterday, but without the seats.

There are no holes or mounting hardware visible, so it seems like installing the seats might be a serious job, requiring the whole back carpet and perhaps part of the deck below to be replaced. The problem with the rear seats must be serious if they are willing to ship cars and do a significant retrofit afterward.

The problem with the rear seats must be serious if they are willing to ship cars and do a significant retrofit afterward.

I see two types of serious:

(1) Serious as in "we want to keep the cars rolling out, so any non safety issue item (parcel shelf, third seats, etc.) will not delay shipment

or

(2) Serious as in "the seat belts, buckles, etc. are sub-standard and we need to re-engineer it.

I am guessing #1.

Got my car yesterday, but without the seats.

There are no holes or mounting hardware visible, so it seems like installing the seats might be a serious job, requiring the whole back carpet and perhaps part of the deck below to be replaced. The problem with the rear seats must be serious if they are willing to ship cars and do a significant retrofit afterward.

There are two mounting anchors next to each wheel well that will stick up from the carpet (they look like Latch anchors, U-shaped metal attachment). Another one behind back seat center headrest is a mounting plate with two more anchors and a paddle release to fold down the seats. Plus the seats have to attach the wall of the well area for it to fold down. They are either going to have to replace the carpet that is precut for the holes when they install the anchors and hinges or cut holes in the existing carpet. My guess, they'll give you new carpet.

I do not know who took this picture, but it shows the three anchor points:

Models jump seat anchors resize.jpg

Attachments

• Models jump seat anchors.jpg
    Models jump seat anchors.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 596
Last edited:
I see two types of serious:

(1) Serious as in "we want to keep the cars rolling out, so any non safety issue item (parcel shelf, third seats, etc.) will not delay shipment
or
(2) Serious as in "the seat belts, buckles, etc. are sub-standard and we need to re-engineer it.
I am guessing #1.

I'm hoping it's #1 as well, and along with the missing parcel shelves and HPWC, Tesla likely has important things to iron out and get their cars out. However, I do not see how these seemingly functional jump seats can be installed on betas and on Elon's car yet not be installed on cars in production. I can't see how this is any less complex to put in as a sectional piece like any other aspect of placing any other seat in the car.

We have yet to see any real safety data on the car in general, less so the jump seats.

I'm guessing it is a combination of issues.

I'm hoping it's #1 as well, and along with the missing parcel shelves and HPWC, Tesla likely has important things to iron out and get their cars out. However, I do not see how these seemingly functional jump seats can be installed on betas and on Elon's car yet not be installed on cars in production. I can't see how this is any less complex to put in as a sectional piece like any other aspect of placing any other seat in the car.

We have yet to see any real safety data on the car in general, less so the jump seats.

I'm guessing it is a combination of issues.

I would guess it's either they don't even have the jumpseats to send out (the ones seen at events being hand made proofs for examples), or they don't want to send the jump seats out without safety data first.

I think this IS a serious issue. If you went out and purchased a 5 passenger car and they gave you a 2 passenger car with a promise to add the rear 3-passenger seat at another time, I don't think this thread would only have 31 posts! It is the perception that the extra 2 seats are frivolous, but yet just look at TV ads from a cadre of manufacturers which tout 7-passenger cars & SUVs. This is more concerning, IMHO than somebody's VIN being different than what they were promised, or a delay of a month or 2 or 3 more than what they were promised, both of which got serious real estate in a recent memo from VP George! What the bleep! :cursing:

I hope it's ironed out before I get mine; I also have 4 kids and a great wife who graciously agreed to my crazy Tesla plan. I was hoping to have an all-electric garage by next year. Thankfully I was already planning on keeping my SUV for a few months longer, but my family will be UNHAPPY if we can't use the S for normal driving. In a recent article from Vancouver (it's in a Canadian thread here somewhere) the journalist mentioned the jump seats were not approved by Transport Canada yet: is waiting for approval in the USA as well? Does anyone actually know?

I hope it's ironed out before I get mine; I also have 4 kids and a great wife who graciously agreed to my crazy Tesla plan. I was hoping to have an all-electric garage by next year. Thankfully I was already planning on keeping my SUV for a few months longer, but my family will be UNHAPPY if we can't use the S for normal driving. In a recent article from Vancouver (it's in a Canadian thread here somewhere) the journalist mentioned the jump seats were not approved by Transport Canada yet: is waiting for approval in the USA as well? Does anyone actually know?

+1

Our family or six requires the jump-seats, and their existence was an important factor in our purchase-decision. We can cope for a while, but this isn't a convenience feature for us. If there is an engineering or safety issue behind the delay, the folks at Tesla better have sufficient engineering resources devoted to coming up with a better than adequate solution. If it's a supplier issue, they need to do what it takes to expedite the process. In either case, a "due bill" won't get my kids to our destination, and I was planning on selling the minivan.

Andy

Elon has stated in the past that the rear seats will be the "safest" in the car, and he personally spent a lot of time working on making those seats safe. Not just to take his word for it, but I feel mpretty comfortable with Elon and company working on the engineering and physics of making those rear seats as safe as possible.

I also expect that things like these seats, and the app, will come with time. As an early adopter, I absolutely anticipated that things wouldn't be perfect for me as they will for people getting their cars next spring. I can be patient once I have the car in my hands. The kids will have to "suffer" in the regular back seat for a little while.

As a father of 4 boys, unfortunately it's a no-go until the seats are installed. This means all family trips are in my wife's gas-guzzler until they're delivered.

That doesn't mean, of course, that I won't be enjoying it for trips that don't involve the whole family. :)

I was looking at the partially skinned Model S frame in the Houston Galleria not-a-store; you should have no doubts about the safety of the rear seats. They are guarded on either side by two very beefy octagonal beams, and a mean-looking slab of boron steel as the rear "bumper". And, of course, these seats will be secure in a side impact collisions, as they're sitting above the steel axles and powertrain gear. It's also been shown that rear-facing seats are safer--the possibility of whiplash is greatly reduced. The American Association of Pediatrics endorses rear-facing seats for as long as your child can fit in them.

So, now Telsa just needs to start shipping them. Very odd that there is this delay -- they've known for months how many they need.

I am in a different position than FlasherZ and others in that I purchased the rear seats as an adjunct to my daily lifestyle (e.g. if I look at my use of my vehicle right now, I rarely carry the 6yr and 3 yr old around anywhere, Diana does it).

And the 17 and 14 year old (if I can ever find them) can't fit, or they are in the 17 year old's car doing this or that. It is only when we drive to Houston (I am in Dallas) with all 6 of us, or go to a full family function (getting rarer and rarer as we age and the teenagers priorities change). I guess I am okay (personally) if the seats do not arrive with the car right away, but it certainly is another harbinger of bad news (albeit small bad news) for this fledgeling company if they cannot get it right.