Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deleting inappropriate Supercharger recommendation from route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Saturday I was in Paris (about 90 miles from home) with 160+ miles of rated range left. Selecting home as my destination, it routed to the Ardmore SC 135 miles away (and another 100 miles from home). After removing all charging stops, it still didn't route using the shortest way.
My own experience suggests that the routing is done to minimise energy rather than to optimise time. Often, they're the same or similar.

I got bit by this idiot bug on Saturday. Drove from Huntsville/Madison to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum 116 miles away with no issue. Grabbed what I could from their 4.8 kW EVSE while in the museum, then blew that and more on 4 "parade" laps of the track (about 750 Wh/mile), then back for a couple more hours in the museum before heading home with about 155 miles remaining on the battery and known 116 miles home.

Fool mollycoddling software red flagged my plans claiming I didn't have enough to reach my destination 151 miles hence. "What? Where are you taking me?" Fool navigation was determined to send me to the Chattanooga Supercharger 151 miles away rather than let me go 116 mile directly home. And then Chattanooga is yet another 130 miles home. Started closer to home than the distance to Supercharger it was determined to route me via, closer than from Supercharger to home. Something like 280 miles total via the idiot route vs. 116 miles the sane route. I was north of Cullman before it quite trying to send me to Chattanooga.

Faced with this idiot guidance I canceled the navigation altogether. As others have observed I could see in Trips that it was routing me via Chattanooga but couldn't find a way to delete the waypoint.

Arrived home with something over 40 miles of charge remaining.

Of course a Supercharger in Birmingham would have addressed this problem.

Seems that the "program" wants you to always start with a "full tank" no matter what it takes to get you to "fill up". If it would simply give us a chance to delete the unnecessary supercharger on the listing and would re-figure the route again, it would solve our problem.

I am guessing that Mr. Musk needed a "band-aid" for the problem and this was thrown together quickly in response to the clamor.... Hopefully they are working on it and perfecting it for a future release.

AK4IJ

Seems that the "program" wants you to always start with a "full tank" no matter what it takes to get you to "fill up". If it would simply give us a chance to delete the unnecessary supercharger on the listing and would re-figure the route again, it would solve our problem.

I am guessing that Mr. Musk needed a "band-aid" for the problem and this was thrown together quickly in response to the clamor.... Hopefully they are working on it and perfecting it for a future release.

AK4IJ
Band-aid for what problem and what clamor are you referring to?

Band-aid = for the problem of the perception of "range anxiety" which Mr. Musk was trying to address.

Clamor = Mr. Musk's perception that the EV world (market, users) is "clamoring" for a solution to "range anxiety."

I admire the fact that he recognized these perceptions are out there. My objection is that he was in too much of a hurry to solve the perceived problem and released a less than complete solution to the perceived problem.

I don't want to let this discussion become a lesson in semantics, I just want a solution to the perceived problem that doesn't have such obvious flaws. I realize that the program is beta, though I think the users would have been better served if Tesla did further testing before the release.

The system's logic is pretty simple. If it projects that you will arrive at your destination with less than 20% SOC or the next (distance-wise) supercharger, it will send you off to another charger that would let you do that. In my case, leaving Indianapolis toward Lexington, it wanted me to charge again. My acceleration on the freeway drove my Wh/mi up, which made the system think I'd get to Lexington with less than 20%, and so it wanted me to turn back around and charge up to full again.

It's a good algorithm to remove range anxiety, if you're willing to follow it. However, the system needs some tweaks to help with the user experience when users *know* what they want... allow me to "click off" the Indianapolis supercharger and head toward Lexington anyway, without having to change my destination and click off all charging stops.

FlasherZ,

Good summary, and, I am sure, that is how the program works. Still, just as you said, it still needs tweaking.

Overall the program seems to address the problem and I am asking for only one small additional feature: the ability to selectively delete a particular, or more than one particular Supercharger from the listing. EV Tripplanner does this.

I am hopeful that someone at Tesla will agree with this need and add that feature.

:wink:

The system's logic is pretty simple. If it projects that you will arrive at your destination with less than 20% SOC or the next (distance-wise) supercharger, it will send you off to another charger that would let you do that.

I'm not so sure. I was just playing around with a few destinations over the lunch hour. I was trying to route to a Supercharger an hour north of Toronto from where I am about 2 hours south west of Toronto, and it would try to route me quite a bit out of the way to the downtown Toronto Supercharger. When I manually deleted the Toronto Supercharger, it routed me there with 27% SOC remaining. Now if I'd gone way out of my way via the Toronto Supercharger, and not charged there, then I likely would have been below 20% at the final destination. The 20% thing may work if everything is in a straight line, but to me it looks like it first draws a path via all "nearby" Superchargers, then does its thing.

Mknox,

You said that you "manually deleted the Toronto Supercharger"... that's exactly what I have been trying to find out how to do (Removing one or more without deleting ALL of them). How did you do that?

PaulR

Mknox,

You said that you "manually deleted the Toronto Supercharger"... that's exactly what I have been trying to find out how to do (Removing one or more without deleting ALL of them). How did you do that?

You have to tap the button that says "Trip" or "Route" or something like that (not in the car now), then a screen will open with the option of "Delete all Charging Stops". It seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition in that you can't selectively delete single stations.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it to show my entire route in the first place. If I, for instance, plan a 500 mile trip, it will only route me to the first charging stop and won't show me any more of my trip (unless I "Delete all Charging Stops").

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get it to show my entire route in the first place. If I, for instance, plan a 500 mile trip, it will only route me to the first charging stop and won't show me any more of my trip (unless I "Delete all Charging Stops").

The summary is shown on the screen with the "remove all charging stops" button, at least it provides a basic read-out of total miles and time (not sure if it includes charging time or not). Is that what you're talking about, or something different?

As for the 20% threshold, that's what it seemed to be with me, perhaps there are corner cases - but 20% seemed to be the trigger point that redirected me via SpC instead of directly to destination.

I use it on long trips to see an overview of my entire route, but then I cancel the navigation and pick the next Supercharger and navigate leg by leg. The system just doesn't work. Always adds unnecessary stops and each time you get out of the car and back in, the navigation is stuck and only shows 'calculating...'. How good is a navigation system that adds charging stops but then locks up each time you do a stop?

^^ This is what I'm doing for now.

The summary is shown on the screen with the "remove all charging stops" button, at least it provides a basic read-out of total miles and time (not sure if it includes charging time or not). Is that what you're talking about, or something different?

No, I see that. It's basically the view you'd get if you have the planning feature disabled. I thought there was supposed to be some sort of full trip view that showed all of the charging stops and how long/how much of a charge you'd need at each one to reach the next charger most efficiently.

You have to tap the button that says "Trip" or "Route" or something like that (not in the car now), then a screen will open with the option of "Delete all Charging Stops". It seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition in that you can't selectively delete single stations.

Tap the lowest bar of the "next leg" window (where it shows miles & time). That will put the "Trip Path" icon (not sure if that's the name -- it looks like a curvy road) on the bottom of the window -- press it that to display the trip overview (which sometimes isn't highlighted very well, depending on the zoom level).

Or... I misunderstood your question :smile:

Tap the lowest bar of the "next leg" window (where it shows miles & time). That will put the "Trip Path" icon (not sure if that's the name -- it looks like a curvy road) on the bottom of the window -- press it that to display the trip overview (which sometimes isn't highlighted very well, depending on the zoom level).

Or... I misunderstood your question :smile:

I'll try that again, but I thought it still was only showing the first trip leg and not the entire route. Thanks.

mknox,

"You have to tap the button that says "Trip" or "Route" or something like that (not in the car now), then a screen will open with the option of "Delete all Charging Stops". It seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition in that you can't selectively delete single stations."

That's exactly my problem and the question I posed at the beginning of this thread.... how to delete just one? It only seems to offer the "Delete all Charging Stops" option - all-or-nothing.... Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any other choice short of some sort of work-around like going from Supercharger to the next Supercharger.

PaulR

The system's logic is pretty simple. If it projects that you will arrive at your destination with less than 20% SOC or the next (distance-wise) supercharger, it will send you off to another charger that would let you do that.

In my case the destination was a well known charger (my home) only 116 miles away and it was trying to divert me to a Supercharger 151 miles away. And then red flagging that as my predicted charge upon arrival in Chattanooga was -1%. Negative.

Guess I should be thankful it didn't try to send me to an Atlanta Supercharger only 138 miles away.

Clearly the Zeroth Law of GPS Navigation is Don't Believe Anything You Are Told.

I came across a strange situation. I was driving from Sonoma to Morgan Hill, CA. I didn't have enough charge to make the trip in one shot, and knew I'd need to stop in Fremont, however, it kept trying to add another stop ( out of my way) in Petaluma, for 0 Minutes of charge!!!

This is when I discovered that you can only remove all suoerchargers