Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead in my driveway....(fixed:12V replaced)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there's a known software problem with a known solution, why doesn't Tesla just notify all the affected cars over the air?

As I posted, the actual problem was only diagnosed by Engineering looking at my vehicle error logs and researching the problem. Also the service manager told me this could be updated with a laptop and cable NOT OVER THE AIR.

This makes perfect sense to me as these kind of "bedrock" systems typically do not need updating very often and it should only be down in conformance with the written procedures and test equipment. In this case they had to hook up a 12V external supply and push a hidden button in order to make the update from the laptop. Also it required three transmittals of firmware (instructions said to keep flashing the unit until no more updates were requested, this took three times).

In short, let Tesla do the work! Tesla service goes the extra mile to make it right, and it can take a lot of work/time on their part to do so.

As I posted, the actual problem was only diagnosed by Engineering looking at my vehicle error logs and researching the problem. Also the service manager told me this could be updated with a laptop and cable NOT OVER THE AIR.

This should help pacify those who are concerned about security in one of the other threads. No everything can be changed over the air.