Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC DC Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to work last Monday, the heater blew cold air. Tesla diagnosed over the air, and determined I needed a new DC DC converter, and a new heater. Seems that the DC DC blew a fuse, which fried the heater. I thought fuses were to prevent the downstream mechanicals from getting fried. And I thought fuses were a replaceable item. But in these early models, not the case. So a blown fuse required $450.00 in labor, a $2,100.00 new DC DC Converter, a $750.00 new heater and 10% tax. Seriously, $3,656.73 for a blown fuse. That is a design flaw, and an awfully expensive one on my out of warranty 2013 Model S60.

Driving to work last Monday, the heater blew cold air. Tesla diagnosed over the air, and determined I needed a new DC DC converter, and a new heater. Seems that the DC DC blew a fuse, which fried the heater. I thought fuses were to prevent the downstream mechanicals from getting fried. And I thought fuses were a replaceable item. But in these early models, not the case. So a blown fuse required $450.00 in labor, a $2,100.00 new DC DC Converter, a $750.00 new heater and 10% tax. Seriously, $3,656.73 for a blown fuse. That is a design flaw, and an awfully expensive one on my out of warranty 2013 Model S60.

Sad to hear the cost associated with this sudden failure! While the mechanicals of an EV look appealing to be less complex, the electrical circuitry are complex and the designs are in their infancy (for this EV industry). I am no more in the camp that EVs are cheaper to maintain than ICE cars. For sure, I will be buying the extended warranty if I am keeping the car beyond the initial 4yr/50K miles.

Apparently this is a pretty common failure point. Especially on earlier MS. My late ‘13 did the same thing. Thankfully, it was still under warranty. That, and a number of other expensive failures, convinced me to buy the extended warranty.

Apparently this is a pretty common failure point. Especially on earlier MS. My late ‘13 did the same thing. Thankfully, it was still under warranty. That, and a number of other expensive failures, convinced me to buy the extended warranty.

Hi Tforme and others who had their dc-dc replaced:

I'm curious if you still have your 2013? Has the dc-dc converter issue ever arisen again? My 2013 heater & dc-dc converter failed. I still have the extended warranty. However, it's been in the shop for a while now (eta is 1.5 weeks). I'm hoping the ac doesn't go next and blow it again.

Last edited: