Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime running lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I have a 2022 Tesla model 3 from the US that we have brought into Canada as we had to move. On Canadian Teslas when you turn all the lights off and are still on drive, the daytime running lights are still on. On our model 3, the DRL are always on when in “auto” but you can turn them off and still drive without any DRL at all. We went to Tesla service today and they weren’t sure. Anyone have any experience here? We are out a pile of money if we can’t get a work around here. Thanks so much in advance!

that seems the logical choice but it is not that simple. They are not allowed to have an “off” function for DRL in Canada. I always use auto in all my cars but I guess that’s not good enough and failed an inspection. Hoping for a solution here.

that seems the logical choice but it is not that simple. They are not allowed to have an “off” function for DRL in Canada. I always use auto in all my cars but I guess that’s not good enough and failed an inspection. Hoping for a solution here.
I thought my ‘23 MY DRL were on in the daytime, I’m set for auto.

You‘re saying the issue is they are on, but you have the option to turn them off? Oh Canada.

Reactions: Sneakerdoc
Do they know it’s a US market car? Is there some pet of exception for imports since other cars from US or other counties won’t have the option of permanent DRL?

Otherwise Tesla needs to reprogram the car as a Canadian car, which they probably have to switch the eSIM to get Canadian data long term anyways?

Open a service request and ask Tesla to run a manual update on your car pushing down a Canada package?

Beyond that, the garage that did the inspection is dumb ass. Can you have it inspected at the Tesla Service Center?
I think this is our next step. Unfortunately Canadian Tire is the only one authorized to do this inspection. Who takes a Tesla to Canadian Tire???

Your only option is speak to Tesla but I wouldn't think they're obliged to do anything, just like other manufacturers. The RIV notes for Tesla confirm "Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required". A quick Google tells me that the consensus is importing US to Canada is not worth it, for example Exporting a Tesla Model 3 from San Francisco, California to Toronto, Ontario.

Go talk nicely to your service center, maybe they can do you a favour and "make your car Canadian" but I doubt it TBH. Good luck.

Reactions: cdswm3
Well I'll be damned. With all of the imported cars I see driving around (especially Japanese ones that are right hand drive and a huge safety risk in Canada) I didn't think there was really anything to do on an imported car but I guess you are right it DOES indeed need to have daytime running lights enabled:

Hopefully Tesla can help you out. They definitely are not obligated to, and any reprogramming obviously wouldn't be warranty, but hopefully they can set the car to Canada. If not, there are probably some 3rd parties that can but I wouldn't want to go down that road unless I had no other option.

That makes total sense that they did that. PS : not all Tesla service sucks and it totally depends on your SC. YEP I have had some major problems with my car from the factory that required 15 visits in 18 months. Those folks never gave up escalating and working on the car to find the problem....until they found the problem and it is (knock on wood) fixed for a long time now. The prying on and off of trim left some clips broken and some rattles and the mobile Ranger was a pro fixing them like new. Sure, I should never have had to go through what I did but the people at Tesla worked hard to keep me in loaners, getting escalation and ultimately a significant credit on my account for anything I want or need from Tesla. Consider it a nice extended warranty.

I encountered my fair share of A-holes at BMW......

I have the same problem with a car I have imported. Which Service Center resolved this for you? I have tried 2 in Ottawa and they tell me they don’t understand why they are not working correctly and that I should call Tesla. The 1-800 number for Tesla tell me to contact a service center.

I have the same problem with a car I have imported. Which Service Center resolved this for you? I have tried 2 in Ottawa and they tell me they don’t understand why they are not working correctly and that I should call Tesla. The 1-800 number for Tesla tell me to contact a service center.
I am in Calgary. I worked with a service advisor in Calgary. There was a bit of back and forth texting through the tesla app with her and I think we had a phone call but we never needed to call Tesla Canada. Maybe call the Calgary service center but it was resolved within the week.