Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service say Daytime Running Lights not covered under ESA??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My 2017 Model S Daytime running lights just went out again. I have the Tesla covered under ESA and Tesla service has replace the headlight a few times without issues. They're now telling me that this is a 2k charge to replace this and that the folks who replaced them before did it incorrectly. Definitely planning to fight this but just curious if anyone has ran into this issue and what they said to make their argument? Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank in advance.

Check the exclusions listed in your Extended Service Agreement. The copy I have says:

"Other Parts not covered:
o Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);"

Reactions: electricar
This is the 2017 version that I found online.

"Other Parts not covered:eek: Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12Vbattery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, bodyseals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);"

Does the Daytime running lights (DRL) fall under light bulbs or sealed beams?

It seemed like a bunch of folks were able to get their DRL replaced for free so I'm hoping to find a way to do the same too.

Has anyone ever tried to successfully escalate this issue with Tesla?
I have a model S i bought brand new barely 4 years ago and just ran into the same issue.
Driver side headlight DRL is fading and they told me it’s not considered part of the headlight and it won’t be covered under warranty. If the low beam or high beam had failed they would, even though it is practically one single assembly.

Let me know if you had any luck!

I had both headlights replaced just early this week, but under the used vehicle limited warranty. Not sure if that is the same as the ESA.
Nope, not the same but my 12/2016 S had both headlight assemblies replaced today under ESA. Invoice was originally over $4500 until they corrected it to just my $200 co-pay. Don’t know why I didn’t notice the issue for over seven years😂