Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data service when traveling to Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, northern neighbors,

We need your help! You're the experts on smart phones with affordable data plans and good coverage in Canada! What is your recommendation for providers in Canada. Thortsmd, I would love to get your guidance.

I'm interested in BC and Yukon coverage, of that makes a difference.

Guy

I went to Canada from the US (NY I87 crossing to Quebec) on 5/31 with my 2014,US model, tech package equipped s85. I had already entered a destination in NAV. The navigation continued the mileage count down but the big screen was gray, no map data.

I then called Tesla and they said that this was the expected behavior and there was no roaming into Canada. They said that nav would continue to a previously entered destination.

However, within a minute or so of the call completion, I started receiving all map information (data) and continued to the for the remainder on the weekend. I can not explain how that happened but I was pleased.

We'll be in Canada for a week this summer, but will be on a small island visiting my in-laws. Basically, we won't need data services while there. But here's what I'll be doing to minimize the pain.

- I'll put in a 3-4 destinations into the Nav so that the address is saved. That way the on-board Nav will work for guidance.
- I'll scroll the maps screen over to the island and zoom in. Hopefully that helps cache the maps so it's not a totally blank screen.

Last edited:
Hey, northern neighbors,

We need your help! You're the experts on smart phones with affordable data plans and good coverage in Canada! What is your recommendation for providers in Canada. Thortsmd, I would love to get your guidance.

I'm interested in BC and Yukon coverage, of that makes a difference.

Guy
I think you might get a lot of similar answers: most companies have good coverage (LTE) in major centres and on popular routes, but "affordable"? No one's happy AFAIK. For the opposite example, I am currently paying Rogers $80 for a US travel plan that gives me 100 minutes of talk (there is no missing zero), unlimited texting, and 500 MB of data, for one month (this is in addition to the $75 I give them monthly for my normal smartphone rate). I think these rates are exorbitant compared to what I've heard is available in the US, however feel free to correct me.

I use Rogers in BC (don't know about Yukon). Telus also has a strong presence; I used them for 20 years until the Telus billing people pissed me off several years ago. Rogers seems to have hired their siblings or cousins sometimes, but Rogers hasn't totally pooched it yet. Both seem to have similar (confusing) choices. Beyond those two I haven't had any experience. Hope this helps - at least it may soften (or harden?) the sticker shock.

For the opposite example, I am currently paying Rogers $80 for a US travel plan that gives me 100 minutes of talk (there is no missing zero), unlimited texting, and 500 MB of data, for one month (this is in addition to the $75 I give them monthly for my normal smartphone rate). I think these rates are exorbitant compared to what I've heard is available in the US, however feel free to correct me.

International roaming plans are always exorbitant. That's why there are services that sell local sim cards for travelers...

Here's a link to AT&T's global rate plans: ATT

AT&T charges separately for voice, texting and data -- no combo packages. Your $80 from Rogers plan appears reasonable in comparison. AT&T would charge $30 for 80 minutes of talk in Canada (more for more minutes), another $30 for a whopping 120MB of data (or $60 for 300MB), and $10 for 50 texts (or $30 for 200). The only decent thing about AT&T is that they pro-rate those rates -- so if you are in Canada for just a week, they pro-rate by day based on when you turn the plan on and off (consumer plans can add/delete options from AT&T's mobile app).

I think you might get a lot of similar answers: most companies have good coverage (LTE) in major centres and on popular routes, but "affordable"? No one's happy AFAIK. For the opposite example, I am currently paying Rogers $80 for a US travel plan that gives me 100 minutes of talk (there is no missing zero), unlimited texting, and 500 MB of data, for one month (this is in addition to the $75 I give them monthly for my normal smartphone rate). I think these rates are exorbitant compared to what I've heard is available in the US, however feel free to correct me.

I use Rogers in BC (don't know about Yukon). Telus also has a strong presence; I used them for 20 years until the Telus billing people pissed me off several years ago. Rogers seems to have hired their siblings or cousins sometimes, but Rogers hasn't totally pooched it yet. Both seem to have similar (confusing) choices. Beyond those two I haven't had any experience. Hope this helps - at least it may soften (or harden?) the sticker shock.

You would be much better off stopping at an ATT store and picking up a go phone SIM. Best buy and other retails sell the go phones which includes the SIM but not just a sim. Go phone is prepaid, no contract, etc.

I can confirm- currently in (Alberta) Canada with my US spec P85 - no data service whatsoever. A data roaming option, even if Tesla wanted to charge me for it would be nice.

If I may ask, when did you take delivery on your Model S? Tesla changed their terms of the data plan a few months ago, and it seems that people who purchased a car following the data plan may​ have data roaming in Canada.

I am currently paying Rogers $80 for a US travel plan that gives me 100 minutes of talk (there is no missing zero), unlimited texting, and 500 MB of data, for one month (this is in addition to the $75 I give them monthly for my normal smartphone rate). I think these rates are exorbitant compared to what I've heard is available in the US, however feel free to correct me.

Hey Ugliest1,

As I said earlier in this thread, T-Mobile has a prepay $30 for 5 gb at 4G per month. Before I go to the states I put $30 on my account to use when I'm down there. Then it can be inactive for months until the next time I go. I use it with a mobile hotspot (Sierra Wireless 754s). It's much cheaper than Rogers ripoff roaming fees. This is the plan:

Rate Plan Charge:
$ 30.00 / Month
Plan features:
Unlimited Nationwide and International Messaging
Unlimited Data incl up to 5 GB 4G data
100 Minutes then $.10 per minute for any national voice calls

It's tricky to find this plan on T-Mobile's website since it's very well hidden. This is how I learned about it and it explains how to find the plan:

T-Mobile $30 Unlimited Data Plan: Unlimited Data And Text Plus 100 Minutes Talk, Find Out How To Get It For Your Smartphone

I then bought the sim on ebay:

Tmobile Sim Prepaid Activation Kit 4G Sim Activation Code Unactivated | eBay

And I pay for the monthly fees using the T-Mobile pre-paid refill cards that you can buy at most drugstores in the States. I buy $30 cards and then put them on my plan online before I go. Don't use a credit card or it will automatically renew and when it expires your account is still active waiting for you to pay another $30 and it activates automatically for another 30 days.

Last edited:
If I may ask, when did you take delivery on your Model S? Tesla changed their terms of the data plan a few months ago, and it seems that people who purchased a car following the data plan may​ have data roaming in Canada.

Vin 13xxx, took delivery June 2013. So I wonder if I can get roaming enabled? When I called Tesla the person I spoke to just said I won't have data when outside the US.

I traveled from Seattle to Whistler this evening, and I was a bit nervous not having the tech package (nav) and losing data connectivity on Maps after crossing the boarder, so I zoomed way out and purposely turned off traffic hoping it would just keep plotting my GPS position. I realized like 20 minutes into Canada that Slacker was still going and that I hadn't lost my data connection. I kept waiting for it to go out, but everything has worked the whole way up to Whistler, actually with pretty good coverage, and continues to work. I am not sure if my car is special (it is to me) or if this is just a new policy?

I traveled from Seattle to Whistler this evening, and I was a bit nervous not having the tech package (nav) and losing data connectivity on Maps after crossing the boarder, so I zoomed way out and purposely turned off traffic hoping it would just keep plotting my GPS position. I realized like 20 minutes into Canada that Slacker was still going and that I hadn't lost my data connection. I kept waiting for it to go out, but everything has worked the whole way up to Whistler, actually with pretty good coverage, and continues to work. I am not sure if my car is special (it is to me) or if this is just a new policy?

I can confirm this for my trip through Ontario the last two days. I crossed into Sarnia on Thursday, having already selected destinations in the NAV so I could easily recall them. About 5 minutes after crossing the bridge I noticed that Google tiles were no longer refreshing. About 10 minutes after that I had connectivity again through to Niagara where I presume I switched back to US service.

As you say, not sure if it's a new policy, or simple courtesy on the part of Tesla but was quite happy to have it.

I just made the trip from Boston to Montreal in a US 2015 85D. I was fully expecting the data to cut out after I crossed the border, but it never did. Worked perfectly the entire time I was there. Seems like something might have changed?

I'm currently in Whistler, BC with my April 2013 MS60. No problems at all with the data. It dropped for about 5 minutes when I crossed the boarder, but then came back. I also noticed that if the car has been off for awhile, it takes several minutes for the data to come back. I assume it's first trying to connect to a US carrier before giving up and going to a Canadian one. Considering there were reports of US cars not working at first, I'm very happy Tesla is now allowing us to roam a bit. It's been very handy having full GPS while over here!