Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily Commuting in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been having a little dispute regarding the charger cord.
Do any of you carry it with you for your daily driving??

I do but only use it when I leave work early to play disc golf :wink:

My commute is between 4 and 4.4 miles depending on which roads I take. (0.9 - 2.8 kWhr)
I have recorded 36 trips to work and 22 trips home. usually using heater before leaving home for 5 minutes or so

min/max Whr/mi to work have been 227/662 and average is 383
min/max Whr/mi home from work have been 381/605 and average is 445

my work is ~ 10-20 feet above sea level and home is ~ 80-120 feet

I wish I had a longer drive but I have been managing to put plenty of miles on my S without it. The warming of the battery can be done w/ a 0-60 out of the driveway, then I have full regen for the little hill I go down. I usually do 1 or 2 quick starts up to 40-45 mph on the way to/from work so my #'s could be much better. The minimums could be a little lower, especially the home from work.

This morning I 'missed' my turn to work since the 'freeway' was empty and Joules told me to floor it, please. I think I have had her over 100 enough that I should refrain from listening until I'm in an appropriate location. My coworker always wants to go somewhere to get coffee now and commented on the fact that he was stupid for not having ordered one already! W/ 3 children and a soon to be replaced minivan I think he may be the first(...second, do I really have one of theSe :love: ) person to get one up here

COST
Now that I have the Model S, which saves me $ each month in fuel, I can afford the slightly higher insurance and a garaged parking spot in the city, so I can get off the bus.
Freedom, and at lower cost! (Capital outlay cost of the Model S not included. :) )

RANGE
I drive 16 miles each way, which brings my rated range from 238 each day to about 180-190 when I get home . That's due to colder weather, running the heat, stop-and-go traffic, going up hills and doing the occasional sprints. Definitely no charging needed during the day - in the indoor parking garage, the car only uses about 2 or 3 miles of rated range NOT in sleep mode during an 9-hour work day.

DRIVING
One-pedal driving is so nice. I do have a worry that my brake lights come on too often when regen kicks in, and I might be unduly annoying drivers behind me. The VIN screen shows when the brake lights are on, but it's hard to see that while driving.

I find I can sprint into spaces in traffic as needed.

Switching lanes is a challenge, due to large C pillars and a low-profile rear view. I depend on my carpooler to call our "clear" to make tight lane changes in traffic. I could use the rear-view camera for this if I wanted to, or just be less assertive about choosing lanes in traffic.

I have written a custom web page, with some hints from teslamods.com, to display 6 Portland I-5 traffic camera videos on my display. This is a great tool for my carpooler to watch and recommend alternate routes as needed for our drive in every day.

There's a section of I-5 called the Terwilliger Curves: 3-lanes, packed with traffic, moving in no-shoulder turns at 50 mph, next to a jersey wall. I used to not enjoy this much in my '02 Saturn. The wider Model S makes me look forward to them. I have much more confidence in the sure-footed Tesla; the curves become fun instead of fearful of hitting a jersey wall.

-andy

80 mile round trip commute in mine, every day. Love it. The driving itself is so fun--both the regen braking and instantaneous power is addicting.

I've had my car for 45 days now. My car has never had less than 100 miles of rated range on it (haven't had the opportunity for a road trip yet!)

Oh, and by the way I save about 5 bucks in fuel every day I drive. I didn't get it to save money, but it's a nice fringe benefit...

No issues with daily commuting here. The car is silent and smooth. Once or twice per week I drive more like 120 miles in a day, and never really worry about range, so it's more than an "around town" car. I'm only nervous when going 90 or more miles one-way.

My daily commute is 60 miles round trip, 70% highway and I typically use 20 kWh....

So average around 330kwh/m? That's actually pretty good. I can manage 380 on longer highway jaunts, but haven't managed that low yet.

I have been able to make my ~55mile work round trip in under 300Wh/mi on two occasions. Doing under 300 for both legs one time. I was driving 60-70 on the interstate portions, but drafting to do it.

I find I get much better efficency when not looking at the power stuff on the dash. I did 390wH/mi in the cold rain on the way in this morning. I am averaging about 350Wh/mi over the almost 2k miles on it so far.

I have a 130 mile round trip commute, and can easily hit 200 miles depending on meeting locations around Indianapolis. Only have had the car for a week, but the commute is no longer a chore. I have pristine audio playing from great digital sources compliments of Tesla, news headlines on the top of the screen (if I'm in the mood to care about headlines), and a true luxury performance ride at my disposal. Does it get better? Kinda stinks to arrive at the office.

I'm averaging 355wh/mi, so don't have any concerns about the round trip. But Indianapolis is thoroughly covered with public chargers, many of them free, so topping off is never a problem and I do it every time just to learn the infrastructure and encourage further development in Indiana. I don't think I've had the car below 150 miles of rated range yet. I'll get more daring (or lazy and not top off) as time goes on.

My commute is just under 58 miles round trip from the coast over the Santa Cruz mountains to work in the valley. In the right car it's a beautiful drive. In the wrong one it's terrifying. The Model S is easily the most pleasant vehicle I've driven on this route: it's easy to respond to opportunities and challenges other drivers present, letting me enjoy the scenery and music. The low center of gravity hugs the twisty road like a dream. I can frequently drive the entire route with one pedal (except for stop lights), and the one time I was stuck in traffic behind an accident it proved to be trivial to creep at speeds that would be painful to maintain in our Boxster.

I do wish the traffic integration was better. The map should show more of the road ahead than behind, and traffic details are nearly invisible when zoomed out. Otherwise I have zero complaints.

I'm averaging 50-60 miles a day, with my work commute at 50 miles round trip. I just topped 1000 miles this week. They have been the best 1000 miles I've ever driven. I'm averaging around 350 Wh/mi. I think the test drive have been keeping that average so far, because usually it is steadily around 300 Wh/mi on a typical day, as my drive to work is mainly down hill and I drive home at twilight usually (4 am), when I can keep the speed down very leisurely. My arrival time at home makes for the perfect TOU charge time.

I have an inter-city commute of 80 miles round trip (about 75% freeway). I've been boasting about how much my fuel savings are going to be. An engineer in my office quickly pointed out I could be saving even more by moving further away from the office :smile:

I have an inter-city commute of 80 miles round trip (about 75% freeway). I've been boasting about how much my fuel savings are going to be. An engineer in my office quickly pointed out I could be saving even more by moving further away from the office :smile:

Did you smack them?

- - - Updated - - -

1000 mi turned today on my 60kWH Silver Beauty - 52mi RT,4-5 days per week @ 90-95% highway, 100+ miles on weekend, mostly city streets.
I'm noticing that I drive faster, and I'm not looking forward to my first ticket - those sprints to nice positions are bad enough, but I'm finding myself showing off to Porsche, Audi, MBs etc. <embarrassed look>

Most enjoyable best car ever. I will never go back... on this valentines day I'd say: I'm in Love.