Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Waiting Room - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they release a pickup in the US that can not challenge any of the specs that existing ICE pickups there have, no-one will buy it.

That explains the quietly growing success of Rivian, then…

None of the infantile Elon indulgences on CT are actually required to “challenge any of the specs” of existing ICE pickups. Not one. And affectations like raking tray sides, which are there purely as a geometric design statement and absolutely no other reason, are rightly ridiculed as impractical by those who actually use utes for work purposes. Even the frunk has been a massive disappointment, shown up as a joke when compared to the F-150 Lightning.

You are right in one regard… “no-one will buy it”. Or at least, very few will buy it.

That explains the quietly growing success of Rivian, then…

None of the infantile Elon indulgences on CT are actually required to “challenge any of the specs” of existing ICE pickups. Not one. And affectations like raking tray sides, which are there purely as a geometric design statement and absolutely no other reason, are rightly ridiculed as impractical by those who actually use utes for work purposes. Even the frunk has been a massive disappointment, shown up as a joke when compared to the F-150 Lightning.

You are right in one regard… “no-one will buy it”. Or at least, very few will buy it.
Don’t high sides significantly improve efficiency?

I heard in one of the recent interviews with the opening lowered range is very significantly improved. It was almost 10 percent higher.

First step to understanding most things Tesla does comes back to efficiency of operation and manufacturing.

I’m happy with the product offered. It is unique design and has the Tesla EV polish. If it was sold here I would buy it in a heartbeat over other 40 year old design concepts.

If they release a pickup in the US that can not challenge any of the specs that existing ICE pickups there have, no-one will buy it.

It's similar to what they did with the Roadster, and to a degree the Model S. Destroy all the negative assumptions about range and performance right from the start.
If you dig up one of elons first tesla interviews, for memory on sbs, he states clearly that the issue tesla identified blocking ev sales was that all ev’s looked strange, and that a clear objective of tesla was to create an ev that the masses would find visually appealing rather than wheels half covered dorky. That became the model s. Whether or not cybertruck is masses mainstream or ev dorky is something the market will inform when initial sales start to dry up.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RichardV and Vostok
No, the alternative was to design and build an efficient, practical, lowest-possible-cost Ute that actually “accelerates the transition to sustainable transport”. Cybertruck is the polar opposite of that.

Musk embarked on another indulgent, brainfart vanity project even worse than the falcon-wing doors on Model X. And with no-one at Tesla having the spine to ever say “no, Elon, this is a stupid idea”, Tesla has wasted 4 years to get to this point, and will waste another 2 years before there’s even a realistic prospect of volume production. At which point CT might be cancelled as the dumb idea it always was. 8 years down the drain.

There was absolutely no need for CT to have a stainless steel “exoskeleton”, a massively oversized and boxy shape, or 3s 0-100 acceleration. Or a completely impractical tray with raking sides, bulletproof windows, or the need for a “range extender” battery due to the poor design decisions it started with.

Instead, Tesla could have designed a far more conventional Ute that cost a fraction to make and would pass vehicle design rules around the world. It could have been made production ready in 2 years not 4, and ramped up to volume manufacturing by now, thereby genuinely making a contribution to “accelerating the transition to sustainable transport” by having a workmanlike Ute that could be sold around the world at prices competitive to the Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux.

Instead we have 💩.

Down voted for telling the truth. So wishing for that 60kWh ute for $50k that doesn't want to assult the earth.

It's similar to what they did with the Roadster, and to a degree the Model S. Destroy all the negative assumptions about range and performance right from the start.

So you are saying you have to appease knuckle draggers? They will be driven out of the market by reality eventually. Its literally worse than an ICE F-150 for the world.

It’s OK, I don’t mind at all collecting the highest number of “disagrees” I ever have on this forum. I take it as a badge of honour in this case 😄
1701815979831.png

The argument for the stainless steel body - if you're building a work vehicle, meant to go on work sites and rough terrain, why would you make the outside easily scratched paint on easily dented/damaged panels? - does make a lot of sense to me. It's a real pity that it seems to come along with severe compromises for pedestrian safety though.
I’m not convinced it’s designed to be a work vehicle. Every plumber, electrician, and carpenter I know has a roof rack full of ladders, pipes, and other materials around 4m long. Not sure how that would work on the cybertruck?

The argument for the stainless steel body - if you're building a work vehicle, meant to go on work sites and rough terrain, why would you make the outside easily scratched paint on easily dented/damaged panels? - does make a lot of sense to me. It's a real pity that it seems to come along with severe compromises for pedestrian safety though.
apparently it's not regular steel. will be interesting to see in reality what it's like but i dont think you can really say regular paint is any better at avoiding scratches

I think it is solvable by having a lower strength steel for the bonnet and the bumper.
The doors will also need to meet ADR requirments to absorb energy by deforming thereby protecting the vehicle occupants. (But not deforming so much that they get squashed) It is a very complicated equation and process so my comment is heavily simplified. As this process has not yet occured to ADR requirments I have no idea if the special alloy will achieve that.

• Informative
Reactions: SPadival
shape alone makes it much safer. Imagine being hit by a F250 or similar which is like a sheer brick wall, almost to head height.

The CT at least has the angle to mitigate the impact.
Its more a case of which will kill you faster. At least the CT the driver can open the back as you’ll likely be scooped over the top of the roof due to the angle . Saves calling for an ambulance.

I have an order in for a CT. If it comes to Australia I will get one. If it doesn't then obviously I won't. Not losing any sleep over it.

Its very existence seems to be upsetting some people. I for one expect it will do very well. If it replaces some of the Fseries / Silverado / RAM guzzlers that are appearing everywhere on our roads then excellent.

There is a market for ute's / trucks that does not involve tradies.

I have an order in for a CT. If it comes to Australia I will get one. If it doesn't then obviously I won't. Not losing any sleep over it.

Its very existence seems to be upsetting some people. I for one expect it will do very well. If it replaces some of the Fseries / Silverado / RAM guzzlers that are appearing everywhere on our roads then excellent.

There is a market for ute's / trucks that does not involve tradies.

👍🏼👍🏼