Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A discussion of firmware will likely stretch way past release 6.0. Indeed, I expect that any number of things he discusses won't be available until, version 7, 8, 9 . . . infinity.
And thank goodness he is thinking ahead! I personally like visionaries. Why should his comments be limited to next release? And, why should Tesla, one year from now, be limited to strict priority of what is said today? Are we so literal that he should stop talking and they should stop innovating?

He began by talking about the Japanese cars not having full navigation as of today. But, via the magic of updates...

…within a few months, the cars will have full Japanese navigation capability, and there will also be a bunch more additional features. In fact probably, in a week or so, I’m going to do a worldwide press conference on version 6 of the software, and everything that that can do, which I think is really cool. It’s all about customization, and the car learning your behavior and adapting to you.

And thank goodness he is thinking ahead! I personally like visionaries. Why should his comments be limited to next release? And, why should Tesla, one year from now, be limited to strict priority of what is said today? Are we so literal that he should stop talking and they should stop innovating?

I don't have a problem with the discussion of future software releases/features as long as it is clear in which context they are being described (i.e. "We anticipate that in a future release, not 6.0, we will have a trip planner integrated with the navigation"). I do, however, take issue when we have it from the highest level that a substantial firmware is due out by the end of the month and 7 months later have it be no where in sight.

Just to stir the pot....
What are the odds that tomorrow we see something like the following:
1.OTA mass deployment of V 6.0 begins
2.Release of new Tesla remote app.
3.V 6.0 includes Apple Car Play interface tied to new IOS release

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely no information to support any of these ideas...but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had dreamed of these developments.

OK. Don't laugh at me. Especially with all the skeptical posts I tend to do.

Promise?

Really?

OK, I have an android phone. And I asked my wife, you know, just in case, if I could buy here the new iPhone 6 and get her old iPhone 5 in case that is exactly what happens.

Now back to being jaded and cynical :)

Just to stir the pot....
What are the odds that tomorrow we see something like the following:
1.OTA mass deployment of V 6.0 begins
2.Release of new Tesla remote app.
3.V 6.0 includes Apple Car Play interface tied to new IOS release

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely no information to support any of these ideas...but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had dreamed of these developments.

I'd say there is a possibility of that... Would be very happy if true (even if it's about a week later -- I bet iOS 8 doesn't get released until next week though...)

Perhaps the mass OTA push of the latest version of 5.12 is to make sure cars are ready for 6.0...

Perhaps the mass OTA push of the latest version of 5.12 is to make sure cars are ready for 6.0...

I was thinking this too, but I'm not inclined to believe this to be the case. There are several folks who held back on 4.5 because of the disablement of automatic lowering in 5.8. They just as easily upgraded directly to 5.11 once it became available suggesting that firmware updates are not sequential. Each firmware is likely an image file containing the entirety of the code.

I was thinking this too, but I'm not inclined to believe this to be the case. There are several folks who held back on 4.5 because of the disablement of automatic lowering in 5.8. They just as easily upgraded directly to 5.11 once it became available suggesting that firmware updates are not sequential. Each firmware is likely an image file containing the entirety of the code.
That is certainly the case. But they may have made other changes that make it desirable for the car to be on 5.12 before upgrading to 6.0. New certificates that manage certain restrictions (like the disabled browser in HK, the different navigation solutions, etc), or new telemetry that they want to monitor certain aspects of the 6.0 upgrade.
Yeah, I realize. Nothing but wild hopeful speculation. Could also be that they are rolling you 5.12 because earlier versions weren't compatible with the harvest super moon...

That wouldn't be very efficient. I can't imagine downloading the entirety of all code each time a minor release is pushed.

I imagine (although I don't have any proof or knowledge) that it may be something more like an incremental, component-based push to the car, with a release manifest that is compared against installed component versions. That's why some updates take only 10 minutes to install, and others can take an hour or more. Imagine rsync being used to continuously update a firmware directory on the car. Small updates == small bandwidth, big updates == big bandwidth.

I know that there are many people here who want to believe that Apple and Tesla are somehow intertwined so closely that they would co-launch. I don't see that being the case -- if it were, then there would have been a co-launch of CarPlay. I suspect that the release of v6.0 is not tied to Apple's release event tomorrow.

I don't see it; the v5.12 thread covers enough screen bugs to keep a team of entomologists busy. Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but flashing or blank center screens seem to be pretty common on v5.12; why would that be a better basis for v6.0?

Ive seen one of the earlier 5.12 bugs myself -- it was installed by service on the first day or two people were reporting it, and the day before we left for TMC Connect. While in Monterey, we got back to the car after the bonfire and the center screen was blank. Reboot fixed it and it didn't return. But I received the latest 5.12 this morning and installed tonight.

Hopefully it's stable and we can get to 6.0 faster...

I imagine (although I don't have any proof or knowledge) that it may be something more like an incremental, component-based push to the car, with a release manifest that is compared against installed component versions. That's why some updates take only 10 minutes to install, and others can take an hour or more.

I thought I had read somewhere about the firmware updates being image files, but I can't seem to find it now.

I have never experienced an update that takes an hour or more to complete. All the ones I've had recently have finished within 20-30 min (even 4.5 -> 5.8). However, if what you're saying is true then that does provide compelling evidence to support your theory. I guess I just haven't ever seen it.

Last edited: