Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Model S weighs couple-hundred lbs less than earlier cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could I use a magnet to test if it's steel or aluminum?

I'd assume that would work. No guarantee the magnet won't find something else to stick to though, like seat belt mechanisms or other things in the B pillar.

Like I said, not sure if this change has made it to production. It is only something I heard had been redesigned, because the boron-steel was a quick (less engineering time) way to make the car super safe, and Tesla was burning cash super fast before Model S was released so they didn't have time to optimize everything. Changing something like that costs a bunch of money to retool, retrain workers, reprogram robots etc, so who knows. Might be a good opportunity to introduce it at the recent shutdown of the line if they haven't already.

I really like how Tesla is constantly improving the car. I don't expect weight reduction will have much impact on range, it might make the car get a better City MPGe rating, but at higher speeds, which I assume most long distance travel occurs at, aero is king.

Like I said, not sure if this change has made it to production. It is only something I heard had been redesigned, because the boron-steel was a quick (less engineering time) way to make the car super safe, and Tesla was burning cash super fast before Model S was released so they didn't have time to optimize everything. Changing something like that costs a bunch of money to retool, retrain workers, reprogram robots etc...

If they changed a major safety structure, I would imagine that "etc" would also include re-crash testing the vehicle also adding to expense and time delays.

I was surprised to hear that they've been able to take that much weight out of the car. Definitely would like to see one of the car magazines do their acceleration testing on a 2014 or 2015 model to see how much quicker it is. I know Car and Driver's testing was on a Signature.

I'd been considering in the back of my mind whether I might look for a used Model S next spring. I was thinking there would be a fair number of "Pre-Loved" cars available as people trade up to the Model X. But after listening to the call and hearing about the cycle of continuous improvements I've definitely decided I want a new car with the most up-to-date tweaks.

From the Q2 financial results call. Elon just said said the current Model S weighs "several pounds" less than the original cars. Quarter pound here, half pound there.

My first thought was wow, now the AWD won't be any heavier than my early MS, not fair :smile:. Would be interesting to know what the current options weigh too- things like pano roof, air suspension, jump seats and 21 inch wheels.

Last edited:
Is there any objective evidence of a weight reduction in Model S between introduction and current deliveries? Just curious because a major Tesla short/critic on Seeking Alpha is using this as evidence of false claims by Elon Musk. It also seems possible that things like the addition of the titanium battery shield are masking net reductions by being counted in the weight of new deliveries but not older cars that were retrofitted.