Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Arizona Registration Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I dug through the internet and this forum to avoid a duplicate post. As you know the government is confusing when trying to increase how much money they steal from us. My question is this:

If I buy a used Tesla first registered before the arizona law changed, does that car carry a set price for life (eg. 1% or 20%)? Or did the car need registered to a name before these dates? I read somewhere that the price will stay with the life of the car, but can't figure out if that was because it was registered to a person before. I think I know the answer, but I need your help.

All the best,
Mark

It's a bummer with the registration increase. Renewals for my 2021 M3 was $240 while my 2022 was $535 this year.
Our son wanted to buy our 2021 M3, and if we sold it to him, it would change his registration cost. So we offered for him to take over payments and we will add him to the registration.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
It's a bummer with the registration increase. Renewals for my 2021 M3 was $240 while my 2022 was $535 this year.
Our son wanted to buy our 2021 M3, and if we sold it to him, it would change his registration cost. So we offered for him to take over payments and we will add him to the registration.
I hate to say this, but I think any change to the registration triggers the new VLT rules in AZ At least that is what I recall reading a couple of years ago. Adding him to the registration will likely trigger the VLT increase. Sorry

FWIW I've seen warnings about adding someone to the registration triggering that increase as well on the AZ Facebook page. I suspect the tide will change soon to charging EV owners MORE because of the missed revenue on gasoline sales and how heavy our cars are. There isn't any real chatter here in AZ about it AFAIK but other states certainly are leaning that way.

FWIW I've seen warnings about adding someone to the registration triggering that increase as well on the AZ Facebook page. I suspect the tide will change soon to charging EV owners MORE because of the missed revenue on gasoline sales and how heavy our cars are. There isn't any real chatter here in AZ about it AFAIK but other states certainly are leaning that way.
Which is kind of lame for reasoning as well when you think about it? Gasoline tanker trucks to refill the stations weigh a lot more than our EVs which never add that burden on highways.

Currently, if the vehicle changes "ownership" you pay current rates, which are not discounted over ICE.

Here is a link with more info:

Alternative Fuel Vehicle | Department of Transportation

Bummer I was hoping that this would improve value of my car. Oh well at least I get the lower VLT myself

Registration Fee $8.00
AQF $0.25
Vehicle License Tax $26.88
Postage $0.63
Total Amount: $35.76 till '29!

• Love
I'll get my new MYLR on Tuesday and can provide those stats shortly thereafter.
The link to the formula agrees with what we paid in "fees". ~52,600 * 0.60 * 0.028 = $884 (not sure where the extra $26 came from)
Not sure why its says 1768 which is 2x 884, but we did not pay 1768

1707149051494.png