Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting UK Lights To EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, any confirmation of this? I have a Tesla 3 LR 2024 and I'm moving from Spain to the UK in summer and I'm thinking about importing the vehicle but I need to make sure that the lights are repositioned to the correct format. Tesla is not replying to me. Is my only option to actually go to the UK and check if I have a popup? thanks!

Hi there, any confirmation of this? I have a Tesla 3 LR 2024 and I'm moving from Spain to the UK in summer and I'm thinking about importing the vehicle but I need to make sure that the lights are repositioned to the correct format. Tesla is not replying to me. Is my only option to actually go to the UK and check if I have a popup? thanks!
Is it an M3H or one of the last legacy M3 registered in 2024?

Either way, I can confirm that the low beam pattern changes every time I take the Chunnel, so I assume you would be good.
In any case, in order to import the car and register it in the UK they will ask for an MOT to be done, and that's how you're going to know 100% if it passes the test or not.

I’m driving to France in a model 3 highland tonight and I can take a picture of the pop up if that will reassure you? Last time I only saw the pop up on the way home but happy to keep an eye out for you

Hey everyone, first of all, thank you to everyone who helped here in the past and I'm really sorry about not getting back to this sooner, work got crazy over the last half a year after the move. Just got an email reminding me of the thread so I thought I would pop in.

First of all, what I actually ended up doing to pass the roadworthiness exam after a ton of research was replacing the matrix lights with pre-refresh non-matrix lights as those have a fixed beam pattern. So what I did was put EU versions of those in, re-coded the car config to those instead and passed the exam. This wasn't ideal as even though the lights worked they wouldn't auto adjust to the weight of the car and some errors showed up as my car is missing the ride height sensors that appear in older vehicles. Anyway, drove around like that for a while but then noticed posts coming up about a quiet update Tesla pushed to all cars with matrix lights that finally fixed this sometime in December I think. Maybe they were listening?

So in February I took the risk and put my old Matrix lights back in which I had kept just in case something like this happened. Recoded the car to matrix lights, all the errors disappeared and a new message appeared saying it was switching beam pattern to suit the side of the road I'm now driving on! After comparing it to an EU car at the supercharger on a wall I went to do another roadworthiness exam to make sure they passed (didn't want to be blinding other drivers in case it was my mind playing tricks). Sure enough, it passed :D

Attaching pictures of the before, after and EU cars.

TLDR: After a recent update there's no need to replace or code anything anymore. Tesla Matrix headlights now flip their beam pattern to suit the EU or whichever country you are driving in and should pass roadworthiness checks when registering in a LHD country ;)

Hopefully, this can clear things up and help some people out!

This was me comparing before update

Lights With Matrix Back In After Update

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cardo and init6
When you travel - how long it takes to adapt once you leave the chunnel?
Once it gets the GPS fix.
After exiting the tunnel it takes usually a couple minutes for the car satnav to realise it has traveled 30 miles while stationary hence figure out it's no longer in Calais/Folkestone but in the country on the other side.
Once it does and the map updates on the screen the lights pattern change simultaneously.

awesome thank you! My wife is very worried about importing my LHD (Spain) Tesla to the UK RHD, mainly about not being safe. What do you think?
Personally, I think it's fine.
Minor inconveniences will include entering barrier operated car parks without a passenger. Higher insurance premium than for the RHD equivalent. And of course limited options if you intend to resale the car in the UK at some point. Refer to the thread on Model S / X announced as LHD-only for the UK for more.
Apart from that it shouldn't be a big issue.

And of course limited options if you intend to resale the car in the UK at some point. Refer to the thread on Model S / X announced as LHD-only for the UK for more.
This,

and it is far worse resale compared to the latest generation of S / X - as they aren't available in RHD so if you want one you have no choice but to get LHD. But to sell a LHD 3/Y in the UK when there are thousands of RHD vehicles you are competing against - there needs to be a big reason (£££) for a buyer to go with a LHD example.