Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash Test Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not disagreeing that Tesla's vehicles are safe, but I wonder if some of it's safety record is due to it's price and styling.

Because it's a high-priced vehicle, it is immediately out of the price range of certain (potentially, high-risk) drivers. Also, due to it's price, owners may be more cautious while driving it. In the same way, the styling might not appeal to younger, more riskier drivers, especially a SUV.

For example, while it may be common for a teenage male to be drag-racing a Honda Civic, you probably won't see too many doing that in a Model-S or Model-X.

I don't know, teenagers get to drive their parents vehicles all the time. I believe, in fact, the Model S that was launched into a field happened to fit that very situation.

Another counter point, I'd imagine that supercars have a higher percentage of low injury accidents, owing to the discrepancy in the power to skill ratio.

In the NCAP side pole test on the Model S, "dummy measurements of rib compressions indicated marginal protection of the chest."

"marginal protection" doesn't sound like a glowing term when it comes to crash tests results.

In the NCAP side pole test on the Model S, "dummy measurements of rib compressions indicated marginal protection of the chest."

"marginal protection" doesn't sound like a glowing term when it comes to crash tests results.

It's also completely different from the NHTSA side pole rating of 5 stars. Given how well the Model S handles side impact as compared to other 5 star vehicles, I'm thinking something is wrong with Euro NCAP's test here. Go look at the videos of the side impact pole tests... a slew of the highly rated vehicles have the pole pretty much in the dummy's lap. I'd love to see an explanation of the discrepancy. They have a video of the side pole impact, and there's so little intrusion that the driver actually goes towards the door. That doesn't happen in most other vehicles. Something isn't right with those test results.

Compare what happens to the dummy with a Mercedes GLA, which scored higher:

The intrusion into the passenger compartment is much higher and the dummy is shifted dramatically to the left. A slightly higher impact to the GLA and the pole would be completely where the driver used to be... squish. Maybe it's test setup... in either case, I'd rather be in the Tesla for that than the GLA, or any number of higher rated pole impact vehicles. Again, the dummy actually moves to the right in the Tesla.. I haven't found another case where that's true.

Last edited:
This might actually be part of the reason for why the score is lower. Since there is almost no crumple zone at the side of cars, some intrusion might help with reducing forces / deceleration speed. Just guessing though.

True, but it wouldn't take much force for that pole to completely squish a driver in the GLA. I'm thinking the design of the test isn't right. This is a pole impacting at 29 kph, or 18 mph. That's not very much at all.

Here's perfect example of real-world side impact resilience. Note little intrusion and side pillar almost intact.

tesla-jpg.163408

video from the crash:

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven