Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash: Euro-spec Roadster -vs- VW SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy who took the original photo told me the 3rd car (the cause of the accident) was a Toyota Avensis. I think the Wired commenters are just guessing.

He was wrong, it's a Prius. The dashboard is unique to the Prius, the wheels are used on the Touring edition Prius in the states and on other editions elsewhere, and you can see traces of the "HYBRID" badge above the side marker light.

For comparison:
2009-toyota-prius-interior.jpg

2007prius.jpg

hmm

Looking at the pic above....Door would not open on Tesla, Window was forced down in track so driver could exit? I guess the electric latch didnt work so good anymore? Should cars have a backup release?

Did the Toureg drive away? Looks like it could have.

Tesla driver is OK

This is from Rachel Konrad, Tesla spokesperson:

"The driver stopped at a red light behind a truck and was hit from behind by a VW Touareg driving at 80km/hour at the time of impact. The Roadster driver walked away with minor bruises."

"The driver stopped at a red light behind a truck and was hit from behind by a VW Touareg driving at 80km/hour at the time of impact. ..."
Welcome Steve. Yeah I've read that description but it doesn't seem to jibe with the 3 photos we have. The clear side view of the Touareg doesn't suggest any damage to the front and it seems unlikely it climbed on top of the Roadster from behind. The Touareg appears to have one of Roadsters hood fins jammed under the rear bumper, suggesting the front of the Roadster went under the back of the Touareg. But given how smashed the rear of the Roadster is, it was definitely rear-ended. Most likely by the Prius. Perhaps the "truck" the Roadster was stopped behind was in fact the Touareg.

I'm still amazed how intact the passenger cell is. One has to wonder how close the VW tires came to the Roadster driver's head.

Last edited:
Tesla Roadster, Toyota Prius, VW Touareg Crash in Denmark - All Cars Electric

By steen Joergensen #3, Posted: 10/24/2009
Hi
I am the driver of the Tesla in the three-way crash. I`am all right and as Jason writes above, both front and back crumple zones did their job wel. But Tesla could do better with the neck support on top of the seat, it was very hard on my head. But the accident has convinced me that the Tesla is a very safe sports car. There were no damage in the passanger compartment at all. The Tesla was brand new and had only been running for 400 miles and it was very sad for the owner, I had lent it from. Over all, 6 people went to the hospital, and after 3 hours we were all on our way home. 12 hours after the accident, my famely and I could enter the plane for a week holiday in New York.
I find it very interesting to read about the accident on different international web sites.
Please feel free to make some comments if you have any questions.
Steen (Denmark)

More from the driver.
I hit my head at the neck support, but I have not been suffering from whiplash yet. The doctors tell me there could be ocuring probems later, but not yet :O)
The Tesla was only 14 days old and i had ben driving it for 400 miles. A new roaster has been orderd and paid by the insurance company and will arrive in Denmark in about 6 months.
The driver of the Toyota Pirus Hybrid did not notice that the traffic was stopped in front of him (roadworks on the road). First he hit a motorbike, then me in the Tesla and I was pushed forward under the Touareg. ...
Thanks for all for intrest in the accedent and my health.

Last edited: