Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Wheel (Looking for feedback on options)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After just putting brand new tires on my MYP I have a cracked wheel up front. Had I not just bought tires I would for sure look at 20" wheel/tire options, but now it's a tougher situation. Looking for feedback on what you guys think might be my best option. Find a OEM Tesla replacement wheel? (not sure cost) Should I just look at getting some aftermarket forged 21" to salvage my new tires? Should I just look at forged 20" w/ new tires to hopefully avoid future cracked wheels? Funny thing is I didn't have any hard impacts, this must have been stress over the 18,000 miles I have on the car.

Last edited:
You can check the TMC Community Marketplace - Tesla Parts for Sale forum. Also, try Craigslist and eBay for a replacement 21 inch wheel.

The easiest option would be to just have Tesla replace the wheel. Open a request in the Tesla app and explain that the front wheel developed a crack. There is a chance that after examining the cracked wheel that Tesla will determine that the wheel was defective from the factory. Tesla might replace the wheel free of charge. Worth a try.

20" wheels don't offer that much more sidewall rubber for protection from pot holes than 21" wheels. Also, there are more choices of tire in 19" and 18" than 20" or 21" OE size wheels. If you decide to purchase new wheels then 19" or 18" will provide the greatest sidewall protection, improved efficiency (by up to 10%) versus the OE 21" wheels.

Reactions: Soap
You can check the TMC Community Marketplace - Tesla Parts for Sale forum. Also, try Craigslist and eBay for a replacement 21 inch wheel.

The easiest option would be to just have Tesla replace the wheel. Open a request in the Tesla app and explain that the front wheel developed a crack. There is a chance that after examining the cracked wheel that Tesla will determine that the wheel was defective from the factory. Tesla might replace the wheel free of charge. Worth a try.

20" wheels don't offer that much more sidewall rubber for protection from pot holes than 21" wheels. Also, there are more choices of tire in 19" and 18" than 20" or 21" OE size wheels. If you decide to purchase new wheels then 19" or 18" will provide the greatest sidewall protection, improved efficiency (by up to 10%) versus the OE 21" wheels.
Thanks for the reply, I did open a service request but the earliest they can get me in is July 20th.

Thanks for the reply, I did open a service request but the earliest they can get me in is July 20th.
For immediate help, try Tesla Roadside Assistance. Roadside Assistance can reach a local contracted tow company that theoretically could provide you with a loaner wheel until your wheel/tire can be replaced. That's the way it is supposed to work.

For immediate help, try Tesla Roadside Assistance. Roadside Assistance can reach a local contracted tow company that theoretically could provide you with a loaner wheel until your wheel/tire can be replaced. That's the way it is supposed to work.
Reached out to service center and was told not covered under warranty. (I had provided pics) Cost to replace is $973.80 but I see a new OEM on EBay for much less I made an offer for. Just a bummer being down a car for a week or more. Thanks for all of the input.

Still, try contacting Roadside Assistance. If the Roadside Assistance contracted tow service has a loaner wheel that will fit your Tesla vehicle they will bring the wheel to you and install the loaner wheel on your Tesla vehicle. Normally you have 3 days to get your wheel repaired or replaced but you can ask for a few more days until you can obtain a wheel. Then you drop off the loaner wheel at the local service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and Soap
Still, try contacting Roadside Assistance. If the Roadside Assistance contracted tow service has a loaner wheel that will fit your Tesla vehicle they will bring the wheel to you and install the loaner wheel on your Tesla vehicle. Normally you have 3 days to get your wheel repaired or replaced but you can ask for a few more days until you can obtain a wheel. Then you drop off the loaner wheel at the local service center.
Just curious, is the loaner wheel typically the same tesla wheel or something aftermarket?

Just curious, is the loaner wheel typically the same tesla wheel or something aftermarket?
The tow service that would be dispatched by Tesla Roadside Assistance; assuming they have the wheel it would be a Tesla front wheel and OE tire to fit your Performance Model Y. Tesla Roadside Assistance can advise you on the availability of a loaner wheel for your vehicle. You can contact Roadside Assistance via the Tesla app. Be sure your phone number is correct as Tesla Roadside assistance will likely use SMS text messaging to communicate with you.

Resurfacing this thread as my wife’s MYP was just diagnosed with a crack too, after it started slowly leaking air. Can’t get a service appointment before October 12. The ugly underbelly of Tesla.
I strongly recommend that you NOT trouble Tesla with any wheel/tire issue. Take it to a reputable wheel/tire retail outlet: Discount Tire. They can remove the tire, inspect the crack, and you can determine if it can be safely repaired.

Tesla Service can provide a replacement wheel. You should not have to wait a month for the part. Any tire center can move the tire and TPMS sensor from the cracked wheel to the replacement wheel. You could also search on Craig's List or eBay for a used wheel. Performance Model Y owners frequently swap out the OE 21" wheels and tires for other sizes. The front and rear wheels on the Performance Model Y are staggered (different sizes, in this case wheel width differs for the front and the rear.) Indicate whether you need a front or rear 21" Uberturbine wheel.