Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 7.18.51 AM.png

:rolleyes:
This may be his worst take yet.
It's also not cool to encourage known C19 positive people to go out and possibly expose more people.

View attachment 558055
It's also not cool to encourage known C19 positive people to go out and possibly expose more people.
I read his tweet a bit differently. He is right about the false positives in the antibody tests but he is wrong in general in thinking that the positive serology tests are being counted as new Covid-19 infections. That did happen in a few states (Florida most notably) but the states I follow do not make that mistake any longer.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and dfwatt
View attachment 558055
I am not sure, his 'worst take' to me is the log scale graph of deaths. Making 100,00 deaths only look just a little worse then 10,000 deaths. He really needs to stick to cars.

I read his tweet a bit differently. He is right about the false positives in the antibody tests but he is wrong in general in thinking that the positive serology tests are being counted as new Covid-19 infections. That did happen in a few states (Florida most notably) but the states I follow do not make that mistake any longer.

It takes just a few hours to study the difference between a PCR and a serology test to the point of at least sounding intelligent about it.

A curious person by nature is going to go and study everything that's standing out in his immediate environment. Like most of us on this thread not in the medical thread. If instead Yellowstone was doing grumbles right now, you'd see the same set of people on here becoming amateur volcanologists instead and reading up on it for hours a day. It's just in the nature of a curious person.

Elon is such a curious person.

For Elon's not to give this even a few hours to get stuff like this right, he must believes it's such a non-event that it's worth exactly zero of his time. Either that or he is outright evil, and did in fact study that, but now preaching misinformation. I find either hypothesis hard to believe.

View attachment 558055

Aaah, from what I understand hospitals in hot spots are swamped with cv patients. Wonder what he’s been reading. Austin where he wants to build the next factory is one of those where hospitalization are up. They don’t put you in the hospital just because you test positive on a test.

Reactions: JRP3 and 30seconds
View attachment 558055

My God. He’s dumber than I thought. Unbelievably irresponsible.

Another useful idiot to go in the Russians’ quiver. Talk about a force multiplier!

Last edited:
My God. He’s dumber than I thought. Unbelievably irresponsible.

Another useful idiot to go in the Russians’ quiver. Talk about a force multiplier!

I am seeing similar data. Look at them carefully and don't fall for the headlines. I came into work today asking my coworkers about our Covid cases, she said "we have no more ICU beds, it's getting real bad!". I personally counted the amount of covid positive pts that are in the ICU. This number is 3. So yeah true we are pretty booked in our ICU, but about 7% of them are covid pts.

I am seeing similar data. Look at them carefully and don't fall for the headlines. I came into work today asking my coworkers about our Covid cases, she said "we have no more ICU beds, it's getting real bad!". I personally counted the amount of covid positive pts that are in the ICU. This number is 3. So yeah true we are pretty booked in our ICU, but about 7% of them are covid pts.
Are you sure they're not starting to have COVID hospitals and non-COVID hospitals?
I am seeing similar data.
What data shows that PCR tests don't have ~0% false positive rate? That's what was so dumb about the tweet.

Are you sure they're not starting to have COVID hospitals and non-COVID hospitals?

What data shows that PCR tests don't have ~0% false positive rate? That's what was so dumb about the tweet.

I was only talking about drop in hospitalizations.

Also I don't know what you are talking about Covid and nonCovid hospitals. I have access to all pts in my hospital and they are identified clearly as Covid or not and what floors these pts are on. We don't just magically build negative pressurized ICU rooms and stuff them on a different floor.

I am waiting on our compiled Covid update for our hospital system and will post the data here when I have it. Very curious to see what the overall picture is like for Central FL since we had the most interesting past 2 weeks where new cases surged from under a hundred per day to over a thousand per day.

Look at them carefully and don't fall for the headlines.

Yeah, I'm not talking about hospitalizations. I've been extremely clear that the characteristics of this surge are much different than the first surge (and we're not as bad as that first surge, yet, anyway - nowhere near as many infections), with predictable results on hospitalizations & mortality. I'm talking about this nonsense about false positives - the topic of his tweet.

I was only talking about drop in hospitalizations.

Also I don't know what you are talking about Covid and nonCovid hospitals. I have access to all pts in my hospital and they are identified clearly as Covid or not and what floors these pts are on. We don't just magically build negative pressurized ICU rooms and stuff them on a different floor.

I am waiting on our compiled Covid update for our hospital system and will post the data here when I have it. Very curious to see what the overall picture is like for Central FL.
If you've got a hospital system you might designate a hospital as a non-COVID hospital and send all non-COVID ICU patients there. That way you don't have to worry as much about infecting people who are hospitalized that don't have COVID. Just a thought.
Definitely curious to see the system wide numbers.

Reactions: madodel
Yeah, I'm not talking about hospitalizations. I've been extremely clear that the characteristics of this surge are much different than the first surge (and we're not as bad as that first surge, yet, anyway - nowhere near as many infections), with predictable results on hospitalizations & mortality. I'm talking about this nonsense about false positives - the topic of his tweet.

I'll post some of our central FL hospital data when I get them. It is very weird that we are seeing ridiculous new case increase but without increase hospitalization to match. Something definitely feels off.

If you've got a hospital system you might designate a hospital as a non-COVID hospital and send all non-COVID ICU patients there. That way you don't have to worry as much about infecting people who are hospitalized that don't have COVID. Just a thought.
Definitely curious to see the system wide numbers.

My hospital is actually Covid central since we actually had very reliable PCR tests while our competitor botched the initial batch. So my hospital sees more than 35% of all Covid pts in Central FL.

...Wonder what he’s been reading...

Maybe along the lines of this
The FDA's 'Wild West' COVID-19 antibody test rules did more harm than good, 60 Minutes finds

On March 16 ... "the Food and Drug Administration took the unprecedented step of allowing COVID antibody tests to flood the market without review."
But federal officials knew pretty quickly that this "'game-changer' that could get Americans back to work" wouldn't work, because many of the tests were seriously flawed, Anfonsi reported, citing a three-month investigation. They "continued to allow them to be sold anyway."
In late May, the FDA started pulling tests — 50 so far — "but by then it was too late," 60 Minutes reports. "The flawed antibody tests are still being used and the bad data collected from them is guiding critical decisions about when to reopen communities."
If you still want to get a serology test, Alfonsi said you should get checked two or three times using different tests to lower the risk of false positives...

i WOULD BE CURIOUS WHAT THE 93% ICU cases are.
Snakebites ?

We are a level 1 trauma center. Once the economy opened up, we have plenty of car accidents and gun shot wounds to attend to. Other day we had a mother who is on life support and lost her 3rd trimester child due to being T-boned.

Quick glance I am seeing

Altered mental status, head injury, post code pts, strokes, kidney failures, sepsis not covid related, gun shot wounds, a guy who tried to hang himself, etc etc. Yes we test 100% of our pts for Covid. Life however still kills more than Covid….

Last edited: