Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon’s least advised tweet of all time? I woke up, saw the tweet and was thinking, “intriguing, Elon is going to tell us why WHO and most govts’ healthcare authorities are wrong”.

I kept scrolling down to see the explanation and there wasn’t one. WTF is he thinking?
Strawman. WHO and governments are not telling us to panic. We choose to do that to ourselves.

Elon’s least advised tweet of all time? I woke up, saw the tweet and was thinking, “intriguing, Elon is going to tell us why WHO and most govts’ healthcare authorities are wrong”.

I kept scrolling down to see the explanation and there wasn’t one. WTF is he thinking?

At least with this one he can angle it where he clarifies that the panic itself is dumb. Like toilet paper flying off of shelves for example. He's also most definitely not a neutral party in this. Having people panic is bad for the bottom line.

As to the least advised tweet of all time there is some stiff competition even from recent ones. For example a few weeks ago he actually had the gull to insult Bill Gates because he was mad that Gates bought a Porsche Taycan instead of a Tesla.

Last edited:

One can describe panicking as over reacting.
One can describe what the Who is advocating as appropriate reaction. Two different things.

Reactions: DavidB and AZRI11
At least with this one he can angle it where he clarifies that the panic itself is dumb. Like toilet paper flying off of shelves for example.

A few weeks ago he actually had the gull to insult Bill Gates because he was mad that Gates bought a Porsche Taycan instead of a Tesla.
He didn't insult Bill Gates. He said our conversation was underwhelming meaning it was fruitless. He didn't call Gates underwhelming. Quit it.

One can describe panicking as over reacting.
One can describe what the Who is advocating as appropriate reaction. Two different things.
Oh sure. But Musk has +30m Twitter followers. And he is now on record that he knows that all he has to do is Tweet and his comment with then be magnified to a even greater audience by the MSM. Half a billion people may have seen this comment by tomorrow. Maybe he means it’s dumb everyone buying a year’s worth of toilet roll. Maybe it’s dumb because his Chinese contacts told him the disease isn’t as dangerous as thought. Maybe he means it’s dumb that his factory workers say they don’t want to come in sick. Maybe the changes to end of quarter deliveries is dumb. Tell us!!

A global thought leader issuing a three word tweet that seeks to downplay the crisis but without saying why, is frankly as counterproductive as anything Trump has tweeted in recent weeks.

Are you arguing that the words themselves constitute an insult or are you arguing that Musk's intention was nefarious? The statement literally makes no assessment of Gates' character or intellect. As to Musk's intention, it is irrelevant.

Are you trying to claim that it wasn't a jab?

I would have been perfectly okay with it if Bill Gates, and Elon had good friendly spars. But, I simply don't see that. Instead to me it looks like Elon insulted a very well respected man that has done a lot for humanity.

Over what? That he chose to buy a Porsche instead?

At best the tweet was bizarre like who cares if Gates is a dull conservationist? What difference does that make in the context of which EV to buy?

At worst he looked like someone with thin skin crying that he didn't get picked.

Now I'm going to go back into stealth mode as other people have way more knowledge of the Cornavirus than I do. I only spoke up because to me was the most ill-fated tweet in recent months. Of course long term nothing is ever going to beat the 420 funding secured one.

Last edited:
Hitting the panic button on a disease that seems to be under control and nitpicking the cases that fail does little to help people’s optimism...

A disease that seems to be under control? That is not going to age well. In the US this virus is everything but under control. In China it is, in Korea they have a chance, in Italy they are struggling. But the US will be going the way of Iran.

The virus is rapidly spreading in the US and there are likely thousands of undetected cases. Hardly anyone gets tested, sick people take it to work and infect co-workers and customers because they cannot afford to stay home. The fast food and take away oriented society facilitates the spreading. Starbucks and Burger King are corona’s best friend.

Testing and quarantine could slow it down but this government hopes it will just go away by ignoring it, by not testing (1500 tests so far, which is ridiculous) and by downplaying it. The official line now seems to be that it is not much worse than the flu. I can tell you, the flu doesn’t kill 15 people in one nursing home in one week. But how about those low death rates in Japan and Korea? Well, the US isn’t Asia. Elderly people in those countries are in relative good health. The ones in the US are not, many are obese, diabetic or have/had cancer.

If this virus is not stopped, and it doesn’t look like it will, the US health system will collapse within a few months. China was able to handle it, but barely. They locked down cities, provinces and companies and built hospitals in the same time it took US politics to agree it would be a good thing to spend 8 billion on fighting this virus. But that’s all show. The money will be wasted because what this administration really wants us to believe is that there is no problem and that it will go away, so that there will be a booming economy, a booming stock market and a glorious re-election.

Until it blows up in their faces.

Last edited:
By the way Singapore had a big jump in new cases yesterday, 13. Everyone had become quite used to only 2-3 a day.

Two imported (Germany and France), one unknown source and the rest locally transmitted with 9 from a single new cluster.

Out of the 130 confirmed cases, 9 are critical. They are being treated with unspecified anti viral meds.

just because he doesn’t agree with your POV and does not fear the CV doesn’t mean he wasn’t thinking. It’s a different perspective, we have more to worry about, like getting to work and paying the bills. The economy isn’t going to improve if people keep panicking and cancelling all sporting events, concert, flights, etc. for 2-4 weeks. Get real.

A poor economy will kill more people in Africa than this Virus. See you in a few months when this blows over. Nearly everyone on this planet has heard of the CV and knows the basics of quarantining by now. The idiot church members in SK who spread this disease has recently apologized. People are doing what they can with the little they have in funding (which has only recently increased in size).

Shall we cancel all schools, colleges classes and public events across the globe for 4 weeks? Then what? The virus is still going to spread and the dire consequences of economic loss causing hunger will persist. This is a catch 22 and you have to keep your eye on the goal, keep the economy going, and trust the process. The word is out there, people are talking and stocking up toilet paper, it’s on their minds..

just because he doesn’t agree with your POV and does not fear the CV doesn’t mean he wasn’t thinking. It’s a different perspective, we have more to worry about, like getting to work and paying the bills. The economy isn’t going to improve if people keep panicking and cancelling all sporting events, concert, flights, etc. for 2-4 weeks. Get real.

A poor economy will kill more people in Africa than this Virus. See you in a few months when this blows over. Nearly everyone on this planet has heard of the CV and knows the basics of quarantining by now. The idiot church members in SK who spread this disease has recently apologized. People are doing what they can with the little they have in funding (which has only recently increased in size).

Shall we cancel all schools, colleges classes and public events across the globe for 4 weeks? Then what? The virus is still going to spread and the dire consequences of economic loss causing hunger will persist. This is a catch 22 and you have to keep your eye on the goal, keep the economy going, and trust the process. The word is out there, people are talking and stocking up toilet paper, it’s on their minds..
But we don’t know what his POV is because he has communicated in such a sloppy manner.

It is intellectually defensible to trade economic losses against public health outcomes. Societies do this all the time.

But in this instance, the healthcare professionals are saying that unless the curve is flattened, health systems are unlikely to cope. Even then it’s touch and go. We have seen this in action in Wuhan, Iran and even now in Northern Italy reports are that the system is creaking.

There is a meaningful percentage of cases that require O2 respirators and that percentage is far higher than the much debated mortality rate. The UK chief medical officer has been blunt that in a worst case, they may need to choose who to treat.

So flatten the curve we must. This ill advised tweet does not assist in this effort and it most likely does the opposite. Because it gives the healthy young (that predominantly make up Musk’s twitter feed) the subliminal green light to go about their lives and be complacent to how they affect those around them.

I shall take this all back if Musk comes back with cited and sourced reasons why this is not a big deal.

Oh sure. But Musk has +30m Twitter followers. And he is now on record that he knows that all he has to do is Tweet and his comment with then be magnified to a even greater audience by the MSM. Half a billion people may have seen this comment by tomorrow. Maybe he means it’s dumb everyone buying a year’s worth of toilet roll. Maybe it’s dumb because his Chinese contacts told him the disease isn’t as dangerous as thought. Maybe he means it’s dumb that his factory workers say they don’t want to come in sick. Maybe the changes to end of quarter deliveries is dumb. Tell us!!

A global thought leader issuing a three word tweet that seeks to downplay the crisis but without saying why, is frankly as counterproductive as anything Trump has tweeted in recent weeks.

the guy has more data to work with in Shanghai than you think.

the precautions the Chinese made were admirable, the decisions everyone else made afterwards were questionable at best and idiotic at worse. Just because he doesn’t agree with your POV doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: DavidB
the guy has more data to work with in Shanghai than you think.

the precautions the Chinese made were admirable, the decisions everyone else made afterwards were questionable at best and idiotic at worse. Just because he doesn’t agree with your POV doesn’t mean he’s wrong.
You still don’t know his POV. Let me ask you this? Who has more data on this. Elon Musk, who has a very recently opened factory with a few thousand employees in a city that was not hit hard? Or the Chinese government? Why then are the Chinese government blocking visitors from certain foreign countries? Why did they feel the need to weld people in Wuhan into their buildings?

Elon Musk is by several measures a genius but he is not all powerful. Sometimes he says and does foolish things. Unless he explains himself very shortly, this is one of those occasions. But there’s a bit more at stake this time than stock positions or a single person’s pride.

You still don’t know his POV. Let me ask you this? Who has more data on this. Elon Musk, who has a very recently opened factory with a few thousand employees in a city that was not hit hard? Or the Chinese government? Why then are the Chinese government blocking visitors from certain foreign countries? Why did they feel the need to weld people in Wuhan into their buildings?

Elon Musk is by several measures a genius but he is not all powerful. Sometimes he says and does foolish things. Unless he explains himself very shortly, this is one of those occasions. But there’s a bit more at stake this time than stock positions or a single person’s pride.

You and I both know we can use data to our own advantage. Do you really expect a CEO of a company to digress on things he deems “stupid?” It’s a waste of his time, air and it’ll be minutes he will never get back. I’m glad he made that statement and agree with him 100%. We have very brilliant people here explaining to me about mRNA and all I see are naysayers that this virus is going to spread, we’re doomed, it’s going to mutate and take over. If these guys were so brilliant, why aren’t they putting their efforts to a cure? Stock up on toilet paper, we’ll be fine. I fear people’s over reaction fighting over toilet paper than I fear the CV.