Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to the ignore bin with you.

I give stupid people one chance to come to rational thought. You have used that up, and then some.
Yes, very stupid people make false accusations. And which irrational thought am I accused of? Only trying to assess the safety or non safety of vaccine for children. I made few or no assertions just trying to collect facts and opinions. Only idiots like yourself jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
You are wrong in stating that I'm wrong. I only stated that I searched VAERS as you suggested and the result was 20 deaths and asked if I did something incorrect. Please don't spread lies on the internet.

Almost half of human beings on the planet have been vaccinated. If there were any serious adverse events from the vaccines, the media would harp non-stop on vaccine safety. Yet, the billions of people vaccinated have had virtually no ill effects let alone anything serious. Don't be afraid, it's just two shots.

Alan is asking if you are being deliberately obtuse?
Alan is saying we don't have any "confirmed" directly attributed deaths, so the number is zero. I do think that is very obtuse.
I think your logic is confused here.

@bkp_duke said that medical professionals must report any potential vaccine adverse effects. It does not follow that you can go to VAERS and determine how many deaths there have been due to the vaccine. Nor did he say to do so. Just not meant for this. I thought everyone knew this?
Only trying to assess the safety or non safety of vaccine for children.

The answer is that it is very safe for children, however, there is an increased risk of heart inflammation particularly in young males, around 70 cases per million at last estimate I saw (about 1 in 14000). Generally these cases are mild and easily resolved outside a hospital. They’re not resulting in deaths (though it is probably possible, it does not seem to have happened).

However, if a young male has a cardiac history, it might well make sense to carefully evaluate the risks and consider an alternative vaccine strategy. Getting COVID has a much higher risk of myocarditis than vaccination, so the risk is related to how likely the child is to get COVID. Also about 1 in 100000 male children have DIED of COVID in the US. And that 100k includes at least 50k who haven’t even had COVID yet. 1 in 7000 children identified as COVID+ have died of COVID (750 out of 5.4 million) per current CDC data. (I updated my number to 750 here; the website says 763, up from 500 a couple months ago (this number goes up AND down). There are about 75 million children in the US.) Anyway, it has to be discussed with the competent physician treating the child, as any vaccination should be.

Last edited:
I'm fully vaxed and got vaccinated as soon as I could. I was happy and excited to get vaccinated.
Maybe, but your post sure sounded like trolling. Most of the people have been here for a long time and while we don't always agree, we accept facts. Accusing people of "murder" for requiring vaccines is not going to get you much respect here. And attacking @bkp_duke and @AlanSubie4Life is really not a good idea. They add more to this thread then anyone else here. So if you plan to stick around you might want to rethink your approach.

@bkp_duke said that medical professionals must report any potential vaccine adverse effects. It does not follow that you can go to VAERS and determine how many deaths there have been due to the vaccine. Nor did he say to do so. Just not meant for this. I thought everyone knew this?

The answer is that it is very safe for children, however, there is an increased risk of heart inflammation particularly in young males, around 70 cases per million at last estimate I saw (about 1 in 14000). Generally these cases are mild and easily resolved outside a hospital. They’re not resulting in deaths (though it is probably possible, it does not seem to have happened).

However, if a young male has a cardiac history, it might well make sense to carefully evaluate the risks and consider an alternative vaccine strategy. Getting COVID has a much higher risk of myocarditis than vaccination, so the risk is related to how likely the child is to get COVID. Also about 1 in 100000 male children have DIED of COVID in the US. And that 100k includes at least 50k who haven’t even had COVID yet. 1 in 7000 children identified as COVID+ have died of COVID (750 out of 5.4 million) per current CDC data. (I updated my number to 750 here; the website says 763, up from 500 a couple months ago (this number goes up AND down). There are about 75 million children in the US.) Anyway, it has to be discussed with the competent physician treating the child, as any vaccination should be.

Spot on. As a pediatrician, and as I have mentioned before, I would be 100% on board with just a single shot for kids, as they form a robust immune response after the first dose. The incidence of myocarditis is extremely low, except after the second shot, and only in males that have entered puberty (don't know why that is, but that's the data).

Last edited:
Which logic are you referring to?

@bkp_duke said that medical professionals must report any potential vaccine adverse effects. It does not follow that you can go to VAERS and determine how many deaths there have been due to the vaccine.
Your are confused. Where was it stated "... go to VAERS and determine how many deaths there have been due to the vaccine? I only stated that I searched VAERS as was suggested and reported results.

Nor did he say to do so.

Any significant vaccine adverse events, by law, must be reported by health professionals (and false reporting is punishable by loss of license and/or imprisonment - so all healthcare professionals take this VERY seriously):

You can search the database (VAERS) as it is publicly accessible.
I interpret that as an invite to search VAERS. Do you disagree?

They’re not resulting in deaths (though it is probably possible, it does not seem to have happened).
What makes you reach that conclusion? Are you reaching the conclusion that all the deaths in the VAERS database are not attributable to the vaccine?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Maybe, but your post sure sounded like trolling. Most of the people have been here for a long time and while we don't always agree, we accept facts. Accusing people of "murder" for requiring vaccines is not going to get you much respect here. And attacking @bkp_duke and @AlanSubie4Life is really not a good idea. They add more to this thread then anyone else here. So if you plan to stick around you might want to rethink your approach.
Your idols have faults, accept it. Perhaps the murder question was a bit much. I'll think about how to collect opinion in a lighter fashion.

Last edited:
I interpret that as an invite to search VAERS. Do you disagree?
Yes it is an invite to do that. However there was an “and” in my statement that he was not saying to do that - you can’t search AND determine the number of adverse events (or deaths) due to vaccine. It’s kind of a way to establish an upper bound (most likely - it may not even be an upper bound since in theory there could be under-reporting). That’s all.

What makes you reach that conclusion? Are you reaching the conclusion that all the deaths in the VAERS database are not attributable to the vaccine?
I haven’t seen any confirmed reports of deaths in children due to COVID vaccination. What’s the baseline rate of deaths in children (they’d be required to be reported as a potential adverse events if they occurred in a certain time window, as I understand it)? How many reports would you expect due to that baseline rate? Have you calculated it? (This is what I meant by “think.”) I do believe it will be news when a confirmed death occurs. And eventually I actually expect one to occur (I’d guess due to allergic reaction or cardiomyopathy). But not yet, AFAIK. Have you seen any such reports?

I’m not a doctor. Talk to your pediatrician or family physician about the risks if this is actually a concern for your children.

Spending time in Germany, where most people wear masks indoors and virtually nobody wears them outside, has driven home to me just how strongly political polarization is now shaping the actions of many Americans. In red Florida, some were risking their lives to prove their devotion to their political tribe. In blue Pennsylvania, others were taking precaution to an extreme to prove their devotion to the opposite political tribe.

This politicization of everyday behavior helps explain many of the ways in which America’s response to the pandemic has been even worse than that of other Western democracies. And it makes me skeptical that the United States will ever manage to implement the simple measures that are enabling other countries to get through yet another pandemic winter. There’s no silver bullet for the coronavirus, as the recent rise in cases across the European continent indicates. But that only makes it all the more infuriating that America is prolonging the pandemic by refusing to take simple precautions like stepping up testing or upgrading to better masks.

Question for the group.

Is a vaccinated person less likely to spread the virus VS an unvaccinated person?

I am unclear on the best way to answer this question. I would assume that the production of virus (the viral load) one is able to spread is reduced if vaccinated?

For the record I am fully vaccinated and will get the booster soon.

Reactions: madodel
Is a vaccinated person less likely to spread the virus VS an unvaccinated person?
Yes, because they are unquestionably less likely to be infected.

I am unclear on the best way to answer this question. I would assume that the production of virus (the viral load) one is able to spread is reduced if vaccinated?
If you were asking “given infection,” that’s trickier. There’s some evidence that viral loads can peak just as high, but that they drop off a bit quicker. It’s generally pretty poorly studied, is my impression, since you really are only looking at the symptomatic people for these studies, usually. It’s hard to determine how asymptomatic people spread in general and whether it is different for the vaccinated. Anyway: It’s definitely possible and likely for a symptomatic vaccinated individual to spread the virus, but on average it’s probably a bit less likely. Just a guess though. There are several studies out there at this point.

Overall, it most definitely cuts transmission though, because it prevents some infections.

Yes it is expected. I posted that because of other posts that state 100% of those in hospitals are unvaccinated. Which I believe is false or inaccurate. What do you think? @daniel

I'm pretty sure I said "NEARLY." If I left out the "nearly" I apologize for that and correct myself here.

The latest number I read in the NY Times this morning is that 24 out of 100,000 unvaccinated people are or have been hospitalized with covid, while 1.5 out of 100,000 vaccinated people are or have been in hospital with covid. And that the bulk of hospitalized vaccinated people are either immunocompromised or have confounding health issues. So an unvaccinated person is something like 18 times more likely to be hospitalized with covid than is a vaccinated person, and if you are healthy and vaccinated, the numbers are even more in your favor.

If we'd had the present anti-science political climate six or seven decades ago, we'd still have people dying of smallpox and polio. We eradicated measles from the U.S. by vaccination, but then Dr. Wakefield and Jenny McCarthy came along and convinced people not to vaccinated their kids with a campaign of outright lies, and now measles is back and killing children.

The lies from anti-vaxxers are killing close to 1,500 Americans every day. In today's world, anti-vaxxers are the real terrorists: terrorizing people with their anti-vaccine lies and killing thousands upon thousands of people. And the saddest thing is all the children dying because their parents believe the anti-vaccine lies.

Quote:
40% of the people who died in Maryland where fully vaccinated.
This is a lie being spread by certain groups in attempts to deceive. Anyone repeating it likely has similar motives. The truth:

The Maryland Department of Health released statistics that while the total number of deaths in Maryland among vaccinated people since the vaccines came out is .0065%, between Sept. 1 and Oct. 15, they accounted for 30% of COVID-19 deaths.

"That proportion can be misleading, and the reason why is that as more and more people are vaccinated in the United States, they make up a greater proportion of the deaths," Moss said.

Germany was helped having a scientist as head of state. Germany has political problems too, but the virus was a lot less politicized there.

A relatively few idiots in the US turned it into a political issue early on. When it was still a mostly blue state disease I was predicting that it would end up hitting red states harder in the end because the governors in blue states (including the few Republicans running blue states) took the right measures early on and the red state governors were following the leader and dismissing the virus as a minor problem.

Masking or not has become a sign of which "team" your on. I've known people who both refuse to wear a mask and those who wear one more than necessary. Their political affiliations align with the stereotypes too.

Personally I'm a rational mask wearer. Indoors, public places yes, otherwise no. If I had to be close to someone outdoors I probably would, but I also social distance by instinct now.

Masking or not has become a sign of which "team" your on. I've known people who both refuse to wear a mask and those who wear one more than necessary.
I look at mask wearing as being similar wearing a seat belt. The first thing done when getting in a car is putting the seat belt on. It (should be) so much of a habit that it's buckled (without thinking) even for just a driveway shuffle. (Of course, I know people in my age group where buckling up is an afterthought to be done only when the alerts chime--but it shouldn't be.) The first thing done whenever there is a chance of meeting people is mask up. Outside or inside makes no difference because although a person may be conscious of social distancing, the other person may not be.