Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Complete nonsense... A nationwide travel ban from China took effect on January 31, 2020, with few confirmed cases in the United States.

We need to have an honest discussion about the root cause analysis on the origin of the virus in Wuhan... and the tragic loss of 5M lives.
It only applied to non-US citizens and was purely racist meat for the rabid base. Explain why nothing was being done to not only stop US travel to and from China, but nothing done to deal with people coming into this country who were visibly ill. Of course we couldn't even get a valid test together until March and heaven forbid the geniuses allow a working WHO test to be used even though there was nothing Made in the USA that was working at the time. The only nonsense is your political agenda. My mother died in a nursing home in NJ in March of 2020 and there was no test available for anyone outside of a hospital so she didn't have COVID on her death certificate. We should have done something to stop this and the US did nothing put political games. Clinical idiot criminals should not be allowed near important things like government. The cost is too great.

Complete nonsense... A nationwide travel ban from China took effect on January 31, 2020, with few confirmed cases in the United States.
That's a lie. And your link gives a 404 error (which somehow seems appropriate). The actual Trump order banned CHINESE, not "travel from China". As if yellow skin was the root problem, not a virus. US residents were free to fly to the US straight from Wuhan and spread Covid to everyone they encountered.
We need to have an honest discussion ...
If you crave honest discussion, first stop lying.

Covid started in China. Smart leaders reacted swiftly and intelligently, saving countless lives. Taiwan, with 26 daily flights from Wuhan, has had 845 deaths total. Trump's grossly incompetent response resulted in nearly a million deaths.

Covid started in China. Smart leaders reacted swiftly and intelligently, saving countless lives. Taiwan, with 26 daily flights from Wuhan, has had 845 deaths total. Trump's grossly incompetent response resulted in nearly a million deaths.
Some related news out of the UK (no, I don't mean they had a competent response...)

Coronavirus report warned of impact on UK four years before pandemic

"Senior health officials who war-gamed the impact of a coronavirus hitting the UK, warned four years before the onset of Covid-19 of the need for stockpiles of PPE, a computerised contact tracing system and screening for foreign travellers, the Guardian can reveal.
The participants imagined cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS-CoV) arriving in London and Birmingham and spreading rapidly resulting in “a large scale outbreak”. Like Covid, MERS causes potentially fatal respiratory illness and can spread asymptomatically; there were no known treatments or vaccines.
Health officials involved in the 2016 coronavirus exercise believed levels of PPE were “of crucial importance for frontline staff” and “pandemic stockpiles were suggested as a means to ensure sufficient quantities were available”.
They also explicitly called for consideration of “port of entry screening” to restrict the spread of the virus from abroad, and for health officials to “produce an options plan using extant evidence and cost benefits for quarantine versus self-isolation for a range of contact types, including symptomatic, asymptomatic and high risk groups.”
The exercise also raised concerns that the UK needed better systems ready to trace the contacts of people who had the virus. They suggested “a web-based tool … a live database of contacts with classifications, current state and other data germane to the situation”
------------------------
And in a rare incident the UK government recognized and spoke the truth:
"In August the government refused to release the file saying it could “lead to loss of public confidence in the government’s and the NHS’ Covid-19 response …”

only to continue with some fib
"...based on misinterpretation of the report."

There doesn't seem anything to misinterpret.

China should have closed its borders to keep COVID from spreading outside of China, but instead they just did what was required to attempt to control the disease within their borders with their own citizens. The US, run by a pack of profound mental defectives was more concerned with a war of words with China rather than implementing a functioning public health response. In the past people from our CDC would have gone there to investigate and get started on a way to deal with it in our own country. That didn't happen and we are still paying the price for the incompetence. When known COVID infected people returned to the US in the early days of 2020, nothing was done to quarantine them let alone the 100's of thousands coming in from everywhere else in the world. The US China travel ban did not stop 10's of thousands of US citizens from traveling back and forth and did zero to control people coming to the US from Europe and everywhere else. Did you not watch the 60 Minutes episode where cruise passengers many of who tested positive for COVID were left back into the US with no safety precautions in March of 2020?

Collapsing passengers, CDC missteps and "public health malpractice": The story of the COVID flight from hell After passengers on the Costa Luminosa cruise ship fell ill with COVID-19 in March, Americans were flown to Atlanta after reaching Europe. Passengers say what happened next was nothing short of a nightmare.

And that was just one plane load of people that was pretty much ignored because "COVID will just go away". So yes, a corrupt, stupid and incompetent US administration bears responsibility for what happened in this country and the subsequent deaths.

American health experts were frustrated at every turn trying to get information out of China and get CDC teams into Wuhan to assess the situation. The Chinese were playing hide the ball from the outset. There is some evidence that it was circulating in China before they admitted it. For example satellite photos showed the parking lot at the Wuhan hospital unusually full in August 2019.

The Chinese government is obsessed with putting a pleasant face on anything. They tend to hide anything that could possibly put them in a bad light until it can't be hidden any longer, then they minimize the problem as much as possible. This is very common in the authoritarian's playbook.

Total f***ing BS website built by liars.

"2. There has been NO unusual excess mortality". Pure garbage. How can you post this crap? Here are total US deaths:

2015 - 2.71m
2016 - 2.74m
2017 - 2.81m
2018 - 2.84m
2019 - 2.85m
2020 - 3.36m (provisional)
2021 - 3.25m (est., barring another wave)

This study published in JAMA found 528k excess US deaths from March 1, 2020 - January 2, 2021. A 22.9% increase vs. historical norm. It's also significantly more than the official Covid death count, which indicates significant undercounting in 2020.

It's obvious there was excess mortality. COVID contributed, but there are a lot of factors at play. In 2020 accidental deaths were way down in the US because people were driving less and there were fewer opportunities for industrial accidents. However some people died of treatable conditions because they didn't get medical care they needed. we also know that some US states were trying to keep their COVID death numbers down by not counting deaths that had other causes than just COVID on the death certificate, even though it is common to list multiple conditions that contributed to someone's death.

It's statistically almost certain that COVID deaths were under-counted in the US for 2020 and it's possible they are being under-counted in some places this year. During the peak of the recent surge in Florida they were reporting zero COVID deaths, but the body count got high enough they had to fess up and start reporting the deaths. Nebraska wasn't even reporting cases in most counties from about May to a few weeks ago, but finally had to start reporting cases. They still officially have 0 deaths per week in most counties the last few months.

Timely article given the recent discussion on the topic:

The article makes a pretty good case that getting vaccinated is warranted even if you contract COVID, primarily because an individual's antibody response to COVID infection is highly variable, leaving up to 20% of those infected with low antibody levels.

Some related news out of the UK (no, I don't mean they had a competent response...)

Coronavirus report warned of impact on UK four years before pandemic

"Senior health officials who war-gamed the impact of a coronavirus hitting the UK, warned four years before the onset of Covid-19 of the need for stockpiles of PPE, a computerised contact tracing system and screening for foreign travellers, the Guardian can reveal.

The United States had a pandemic response team whose job was to make sure the country was prepared for an unexpected outbreak. Supplies, emergency plans in place, leadership preparedness, etc. It was dismantled a year or so before Covid hit the United States. So when the virus came, we had no plans in place and nobody whose job was to lead a response.

The United States had a pandemic response team whose job was to make sure the country was prepared for an unexpected outbreak. Supplies, emergency plans in place, leadership preparedness, etc. It was dismantled a year or so before Covid hit the United States. So when the virus came, we had no plans in place and nobody whose job was to lead a response.

I recall reading an interview with Greg Burel who maintained the Strategic National Reserve until Jan 2020 when he retired. He said the stockpile was 100% full when he left, though the stockpile was never intended for the scale of pandemic we faced with COVID. But the distribution of the equipment in the stockpile was very uneven. The states that were hit early were blue states and they got very paltry distributions whereas when the pandemic started hitting red states they often ended up with more than was needed.

In a case of locking the barn door after the horse got out the stockpile is now much more heavily stocked with PPE than before COVID hit.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I recall reading an interview with Greg Burel who maintained the Strategic National Reserve until Jan 2020 when he retired. He said the stockpile was 100% full when he left, though the stockpile was never intended for the scale of pandemic we faced with COVID. But the distribution of the equipment in the stockpile was very uneven. The states that were hit early were blue states and they got very paltry distributions whereas when the pandemic started hitting red states they often ended up with more than was needed.

In a case of locking the barn door after the horse got out the stockpile is now much more heavily stocked with PPE than before COVID hit.
That’s inconsistent with what I’ve been reading. My understanding is that PPE was not adequately restocked and many ventilators in the reserve were not in working order because maintenance contracts had lapsed. Those problems happened under the Obama administration and were not fixed under Trump. I don’t know, but I would not be surprised if Congress failed to allocate needed funding and the executive branch failed to prioritize requests for it. The bottom line is that we have chronically underfunded and under-prioritized long-term public health preparation.

This 5th wave isn't going away as fast as it ramped up

1633745479313.png

Reactions: Norbert and madodel
That’s inconsistent with what I’ve been reading. My understanding is that PPE was not adequately restocked and many ventilators in the reserve were not in working order because maintenance contracts had lapsed. Those problems happened under the Obama administration and were not fixed under Trump. I don’t know, but I would not be surprised if Congress failed to allocate needed funding and the executive branch failed to prioritize requests for it. The bottom line is that we have chronically underfunded and under-prioritized long-term public health preparation.
The National stockpile was not restocked by the Obama administration after multiple national emergencies and I recall reading that the Trump administration was warned that this needed to be done. Trump even complained about it despite his being in office for over 2 years by that point. I also recall that some of the supplies of masks sent to providers were so old that the elastic was brittle and the masks were moldy so they were useless. And the Trump administration stopped maintenance on medical equipment like ventilators in the warehouses so when they were needed they didn't work. A perfect storm of stupidity, incompetence and corruption.

Fact check: Did the Obama administration deplete the federal stockpile of N95 masks?

A Ventilator Stockpile, With One Hitch: Thousands Do Not Work

If you are aware of a study that shows a complete diminution of vaccine efficacy against Delta, then please post it, because it seems to me like you are misinterpreting something again.

Adjusted estimated vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection by variant:

This is from
Effectiveness of mRNA BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccine up to 6 months in a large integrated health system in the USA: a retrospective cohort study
Rather short time frame for the chart don't you think? After only 4 months already gone down significantly. What happens if we extend that trendline?
Quote:
Elderly individuals (60+) who received their second dose in March 2021 were 1.6 (CI: [1.3, 2]) times more protected against infection and 1.7 (CI: [1.0, 2.7]) times more protected against severe COVID-19 compared to those who received their second dose in January 2021. Similar results were found for different age groups.

Conclusions These results indicate a strong effect of waning immunity in all age groups after six months.

... Those who are vaccinated are much less likely to be infected in the first place, and obviously those individuals who avoided infection altogether will have zero viral load. ...
My source was taken down. I'll search for another source.
Quote from deleted source:
A study commissioned by the US Pentagon. 5.6 million US Study of Individuals 65 years old and older show vaccines now have little benefit against Delta Variant in terms of both infections and hospitalizations. Data into August show a marked decrease in vaccine effectiveness for infections and hospitalizations. Power point link below, Page 7 shows 73 percent of infections are now occurring in the vaccinated. (box on right side) versus 80 percent vaccinated. So not much difference in population breakdown vs infection rate. Page 12 (box on right) shows hospitalizations amongst vaccinated is 61 percent of total hospitalizations vs 80 percent vaccinated. (And this hospitalization data was for the last week of July)

Yinon M Bar-On et al said:
Results: At least 12 days after the booster dose, the rate of confirmed infection was lower in the booster group than in the nonbooster group by a factor of 11.3
We better start requiring a booster shots since decreases infection rate by 11.3. Can't have little human bio reactors running around breeding vaccine resistant covid variants.

Last edited:
My source was taken down
Weird. I wonder why. 🤣A study commissioned by the US Pentagon, lol.

Vaccines wane in efficacy. Even efficacy against severe disease wanes a bit (the data on that is less clear).

Boosters are advised especially in the elderly and eventually for everyone.

But there’s exactly zero evidence that the effectiveness of vaccination against severe disease tapers to anywhere near the point of being unvaccinated and Covid-naive. There’s literally zero data anyone can show indicating that vaccines wane to “zero benefit.”

Vaccines save lives and offer enduring protection. Is a third dose advisable? Yes, I think so - we should be stopping people from becoming sick, not just from becoming hospitalized. I’ve had mine! But the two-dose series is quite effective - though probably not good enough to stop Delta entirely, even at high vaccination rates.

We better start requiring a booster shots since decreases infection rate by 11.3. Can't have little bio reactors running around breading immune resistant covid variants.

Note that this was for age 60 and older. I’m not sure what you were referring to by little bio reactors running around. This is a special population and somewhat better results should be expected in younger groups. Eventually everyone over 20 or 30 will probably need a booster though.

Breaded Covid….yumm! Though I like it beer-battered.

... Note that this was for age 60 and older.
Other studies show similar data for other age groups:
I’m not sure what you were referring to by little bio reactors running around.
@winfield100 I think you can explain little human bio reactors breeding strain resistant variants better than me.
This is a special population and somewhat better results should be expected in younger groups.
Preliminary study posted above differs.

Last edited:
Preliminary study posted above differs.
We’ll see.

That’s an odds ratio comparison so it’s possible you’re just seeing a 53% increase in the number of infections in all groups, which looks very different in different groups. I can’t really tell from skimming it.

So for example you could go from 95% to 92% efficacy in the young (53% increase) vs. a 80% to 70% efficacy drop in the elderly. ~53% increase. (Though honestly I didn’t read the study closely so I’m not sure what they are saying - and they had no really good plots or tables so I stopped reading.)

In any case it’s hard to say. Eventually everyone should get boosters. But there’s also little question that every first dose of vaccine is far more effective. But if no one is taking them, definitely boosters should be given.

To be clear, I think everyone should get boosters. Vaccines work. (This is why I have stopped reading papers on breakthrough infections carefully, lol.)

I’ve got my booster and am going on with my life as I did pre-COVID. Wearing an N95 indoors as appropriate.

Last edited: