Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year for the first time since WWII the US life expectancy dropped by over a year. That's the difference between the Flu and COVID.
I never claimed there was no difference. BTW, You should take into account the horrible record opioid overdoses for the drop in life expectancy. Those are almost all young people.

COVID-19 is a deadly disease. It is much worse than the seasonal flus we have come to know so well.

If you are going to advocate for quarantines and mandatory vaccinations, there must be a threshold that has nothing to do with the name of the disease, but rather its fatality rates. The Spanish Flu of 2018 (out of Kansas, lol) was also called a flu, but it was much more virulent and deadly than anything we have called a flu since then.

Since we are calculating on the basis of deadliness and contagion, there is no false equivalency. In order to save people, Daniel advocates we issue a fascist edict. My question is simple: If 30,000 for the flu is not enough, then where is the cut off? Or is 30,000 enough, in which case we should issue the same edicts now for the upcoming flu season.

I am well aware of that. Are you aware that they are not absolute? If you want to home school your children, in all states that list doesn't apply (even California, which has the strictest of vaccine mandates for kids).

Are you also aware that in most of those states if you can provide documentation of prior infection with one of those diseases, you can be exempted from taking the vaccine?

They are not absolute, but required for the 93% of kids that are in public/private schools. Not to mention this percentage is around 96-97% in non-pandemic years. This is proof to me that vaccine mandates work.

I was not aware of proof of prior infection for passing the vaccine requirements, but I'm guessing the percentage of children that contract these diseases without getting vaccinated is minute.

They are not absolute, but required for the 93% of kids that are in public/private schools. Not to mention this percentage is around 96-97% in non-pandemic years. This is proof to me that vaccine mandates work.

I was not aware of proof of prior infection for passing the vaccine requirements, but I'm guessing the percentage of children that contract these diseases without getting vaccinated is minute.

Minute among US-born children, but not minute among immigrants. FYI.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I never claimed there was no difference. BTW, You should take into account the horrible record opioid overdoses for the drop in life expectancy. Those are almost all young people.

COVID-19 is a deadly disease. It is much worse than the seasonal flus we have come to know so well.

If you are going to advocate for quarantines and mandatory vaccinations, there must be a threshold that has nothing to do with the name of the disease, but rather its fatality rates. The Spanish Flu of 2018 (out of Kansas, lol) was also called a flu, but it was much more virulent and deadly than anything we have called a flu since then.

Since we are calculating on the basis of deadliness and contagion, there is no false equivalency. In order to save people, Daniel advocates we issue a fascist edict. My question is simple: If 30,000 for the flu is not enough, then where is the cut off? Or is 30,000 enough, in which case we should issue the same edicts now for the upcoming flu season.
Not sure what is his "fascist" edict. But I would propose that you have proof of vaccination before you can fly, go on trains, go to concerts, sporting events, schools, healthcare workers, and virtually any person with significant exposure to the public. If there is medical verification available on an individual basis that shows their specific prior infection offers them the same protection as the vaccinated - that would be also acceptable. - follow the science. However, at this point any medical treatment for COVID on the unvaccinated should not be covered by insurance OR allow insurance companies to offer a supplement to cover COVID - that the person has to pay for. Likewise, medicare or any other public health program should exclude it without additional payments.
As to the "flu" - the good news is there are not too many people running around with the flu that are asymptomatic. If someone in fact has the flu they obviously should not be spreading it around. Go to Asian countries. If someone doesn't feel well THEY were a mask. Sadly we live in the land of idiots who cry "Freedom" and god forbid someone tells them to wear a mask.

Not sure what is his "fascist" edict. But I would propose that you have proof of vaccination before you can fly, go on trains, go to concerts, sporting events, schools, healthcare workers, and virtually any person with significant exposure to the public. If there is medical verification available on an individual basis that shows their specific prior infection offers them the same protection as the vaccinated - that would be also acceptable. - follow the science. However, at this point any medical treatment for COVID on the unvaccinated should not be covered by insurance OR allow insurance companies to offer a supplement to cover COVID - that the person has to pay for. Likewise, medicare or any other public health program should exclude it without additional payments.
As to the "flu" - the good news is there are not too many people running around with the flu that are asymptomatic. If someone in fact has the flu they obviously should not be spreading it around. Go to Asian countries. If someone doesn't feel well THEY were a mask. Sadly we live in the land of idiots who cry "Freedom" and god forbid someone tells them to wear a mask.

“They should be placed in mandatory, enforced quarantine until the pandemic is under control.”

Not sure what your uncertainty is about the above fascist edict.

BTW, I am fine with all the solutions you listed above.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
“They should be placed in mandatory, enforced quarantine until the pandemic is under control.”

Not sure what your uncertainty is about the above fascist edict.

BTW, I am fine with all the solutions you listed above.
That is accepted public health protocol for extremely contagious deadly communicable diseases that threaten public health. You are politicizing public health regulations. Had that been done in the very beginning then we wouldn't have 700,000 dead.

That is accepted public health protocol for extremely contagious deadly communicable diseases that threaten public health. You are politicizing public health regulations. Had that been done in the very beginning then we wouldn't have 700,000 dead.
Not politicising. Identifying them for what they are. There are times when fascist edicts are appropriate. But calling them anything else is disingenuous.

So easy to say if we had gone full fascist immediately we would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Maybe this is true. But you have no idea. Furthermore there are real life examples of countries that did no such thing, no shut downs of any kind, and yet have better outcomes to date than the USA.

You want to go full fascist to save lives? Fine. Give me the parameters. When are we entering? What is the plan? When can we exit? What are the penalties for breaking quarantine? And explain to me why it is not worth it for every flu season to save tens of thousands lives just in the USA.

But whatever you do, don’t insult me by hiding behind Big Brother speak.

Yeah all those horrible fascists back in 1798 when they created the US Public Health Service. We can't have a reasonable discussion when one of us has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I'd suggest reading up on the US Public Health Service.
Fascist edicts and good public health policy are not mutually exclusive.

Rounding up unvaccinated people and forcing them into mandatory quarantine was advocated. I labelled this as a fascist edict and requested that good justifications and metrics be enumerated as well as an end point. I questioned why such actions should not be considered for the annual flu season in the USA based on 30,000 plus people dieing per year from the flu. While certainly at least an order of magnitude less deadly on an annual basis, the flu is deadly in its own right and my question is fair: what is the trigger point for engaging in such extreme acts?

I am accused of considering COVID and the flu equally deadly. Then I am told I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about based on my labelling the idea of a forced herding of unvaccinated individuals into a mandatory quarantine as fascist. I am called unreasonable and told that I have no idea of history, specifically that of the US Public Health Service.

Eh, what can one do? I guess we can just call it a day.

Reactions: madodel
That is accepted public health protocol for extremely contagious deadly communicable diseases that threaten public health.
You are politicizing public health regulations. Had that been done in the very beginning then we wouldn't have 700,000 dead.
Incorrect, we would not have 4.8M (+5.0M by YE) dead if Covid-19 had been contained in China. The truth will set you free. ;)

DeadliestPandemicsbyPopulation-Datastream-main.jpg

Last edited:
Again, the argument of "endangering others" is hollow. The unvaccinated are only endangering themselves. There is not a significant number of vaccinated individuals that are dying of COVID. That doesn't give you an excuse to force upon them something that they don't want. We've had this argument several pages back, I'm not going to rehash it, nor am I going to budge on the personal freedoms stance. The "risk" is to the vaccinated population is too low to justify what you are proposing.

There is an indirect risk to the vaccinated. Because the hospitals in some places are completely topped out with unvaccinated COVID patients, all other services are suspended. There are stories of people dying of easily treatable conditions because the hospital had no room. People from some of the hardest hit states are flying to low COVID places like the Bay Area and Seattle to get necessary surgeries like for cancer because they can't get it at their local hospital. Others who can't afford the airfare are waiting and hoping their condition doesn't become fatal before they can get surgery.

Do you advocate the same remedy for flu vaccine refusers?

COVID has only killed as few people as it has because modern medicine is so much better than the last time we had a global pandemic. The worst variant of the flu is at least an order of magnitude less dangerous than COVID.

I've never had a flu shot. So far I haven't needed one, I haven't had the flu since I was 11 or 12. My entire family is the same way.

Trust me, for the poor souls that have succumbed to influenza over human history there is no false equivalency. A death is a death. There is no fallacy in that.

Most of the deaths from the flu are from secondary infections caused because the person was weakened by the flu. We are very effective at treating and preventing most of the secondary infections that killed people in the past.

Flu outbreaks also tend to be worse when the population is already stressed. The 1918 flu pandemic came when a large part of the world was weakened by years of war and it spread very efficiently as armies demobilized at the end of the war and former soldiers went back home infected with the disease. That pandemic was the first in history to penetrate into rural areas efficiently.

The Spanish flu is still with us. It was on some NPR program I heard over a year ago, but the researchers who got samples of the Spanish flu from bodies they dug up. They sequenced the virus and compared it with samples collected in later years. They found little change genetically with samples into the 1950s. The descendants of that virus are in circulation today.

The Spanish flu was not a big killer after 1919 because enough of the world population had had it, as the world returned to normal the stress conditions from the war went away, and treatment techniques improved so those who did get seriously ill died less often.

Another thing with the Spanish flu is that 1918 may have not been it's first outbreak. The flu season around 1890 was a bad one, though nowhere near as bad as the later outbreak. In the Spanish flu outbreak the bulk of people who got sick were under 30. Those over 30 tended not to get sick or got much milder cases.

The chart showing the death toll from various pandemics in the past is a bit misleading because before the 1930s~1940s we didn't have the level of science based medicine to figure out and effectively treat infectious diseases. When my parents were children in the 1920s it was still common for children their age to get sick and die of infectious diseases. My father had an incredibly good immune system and never even had the chicken pox, but my mother almost died of whooping cough (though that was the only serious childhood disease she got). My father talked about classmates who died of measles, polio, and a number of other diseases.

Almost everyone, if not everyone, in this thread have lived their entire lives in a bubble in history where few people in the developed world die of infectious diseases. They have been a problem in the developing world in living memory, but even there they are becoming much less common thanks to the developed world vaccinating people in those countries.

There are infectious diseases more deadly than COVID, but we've knocked all those down to a point where outbreaks in the developed world in the 10s or 100s are considered big. And herd immunity for most of those diseases is high because of vaccination. Depending on how COVID mutates, it may be with us the rest of our lives or it might mutate itself out of existence.

I am well aware of that. Are you aware that they are not absolute? If you want to home school your children, in all states that list doesn't apply (even California, which has the strictest of vaccine mandates for kids).

Are you also aware that in most of those states if you can provide documentation of prior infection with one of those diseases, you can be exempted from taking the vaccine?
Are you aware that no one here is arguing for tie-them-down-and-jab-them laws?

Are you aware that the position at issue is the same that you seem to agree with re kids: participation in structured society —programs that are usually also sites of disease transmission (for kids-school, for adults-job,travel,events) is simply conditioned on getting a f’ing vaccine.

Are you aware that there can always be the medical exemption and the f-you-I-live/homeschool-in-my-trailer-and-dont-go-anywhere exemption.

Last edited:
Incorrect, we would not have 4.8M (+5.0M by YE) dead if Covid-19 had been contained in China. The truth will set you free. ;)
China should have closed its borders to keep COVID from spreading outside of China, but instead they just did what was required to attempt to control the disease within their borders with their own citizens. The US, run by a pack of profound mental defectives was more concerned with a war of words with China rather than implementing a functioning public health response. In the past people from our CDC would have gone there to investigate and get started on a way to deal with it in our own country. That didn't happen and we are still paying the price for the incompetence. When known COVID infected people returned to the US in the early days of 2020, nothing was done to quarantine them let alone the 100's of thousands coming in from everywhere else in the world. The US China travel ban did not stop 10's of thousands of US citizens from traveling back and forth and did zero to control people coming to the US from Europe and everywhere else. Did you not watch the 60 Minutes episode where cruise passengers many of who tested positive for COVID were left back into the US with no safety precautions in March of 2020?

Collapsing passengers, CDC missteps and "public health malpractice": The story of the COVID flight from hell After passengers on the Costa Luminosa cruise ship fell ill with COVID-19 in March, Americans were flown to Atlanta after reaching Europe. Passengers say what happened next was nothing short of a nightmare.

And that was just one plane load of people that was pretty much ignored because "COVID will just go away". So yes, a corrupt, stupid and incompetent US administration bears responsibility for what happened in this country and the subsequent deaths.

Total f***ing BS website built by liars.

"2. There has been NO unusual excess mortality". Pure garbage. How can you post this crap? Here are total US deaths:

2015 - 2.71m
2016 - 2.74m
2017 - 2.81m
2018 - 2.84m
2019 - 2.85m
2020 - 3.36m (provisional)
2021 - 3.25m (est., barring another wave)

This study published in JAMA found 528k excess US deaths from March 1, 2020 - January 2, 2021. A 22.9% increase vs. historical norm. It's also significantly more than the official Covid death count, which indicates significant undercounting in 2020.

China should have closed its borders to keep COVID from spreading outside of China, but instead they just did what was required to attempt to control the disease within their borders with their own citizens. The US, run by a pack of profound mental defectives was more concerned with a war of words with China rather than implementing a functioning public health response. In the past people from our CDC would have gone there to investigate and get started on a way to deal with it in our own country. That didn't happen and we are still paying the price for the incompetence. When known COVID infected people returned to the US in the early days of 2020, nothing was done to quarantine them let alone the 100's of thousands coming in from everywhere else in the world. The US China travel ban did not stop 10's of thousands of US citizens from traveling back and forth and did zero to control people coming to the US from Europe and everywhere else. Did you not watch the 60 Minutes episode where cruise passengers many of who tested positive for COVID were left back into the US with no safety precautions in March of 2020?

Collapsing passengers, CDC missteps and "public health malpractice": The story of the COVID flight from hell After passengers on the Costa Luminosa cruise ship fell ill with COVID-19 in March, Americans were flown to Atlanta after reaching Europe. Passengers say what happened next was nothing short of a nightmare.

And that was just one plane load of people that was pretty much ignored because "COVID will just go away". So yes, a corrupt, stupid and incompetent US administration bears responsibility for what happened in this country and the subsequent deaths.
Complete nonsense... A nationwide travel ban from China took effect on January 31, 2020, with few confirmed cases in the United States.

We need to have an honest discussion about the root cause analysis on the origin of the virus in Wuhan... and the tragic loss of 5M lives.

Complete nonsense... A nationwide travel ban from China took effect on January 31, 2020, with few confirmed cases in the United States.

We need to have an honest discussion about the root cause analysis on the origin of the virus in Wuhan... and the tragic loss of 5M lives.
Yes lets start the "honesty" by saying there was no travel ban from China, there were restrictions but travel was allowed and there was no quarantine.

“We don’t have a travel ban,” Klain said. “We have a travel Band-Aid right now. First, before it was imposed, 300,000 people came here from China in the previous month. So, the horse is out of the barn.”

“There’s no restriction on Americans going back and forth,” Klain said. “There are warnings. People should abide by those warnings. But today, 30 planes will land in Los Angeles that either originated in Beijing or came here on one-stops, 30 in San Francisco, 25 in New York City. Okay? So, unless we think that the color of the passport someone carries is a meaningful public health restriction, we have not placed a meaningful public health restriction.”