Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I still advocate everyone think very carefully before adding Mennekes at the car. J1772 at the car makes more sense as it allows the use of Mennekes EVSEs *and* J1772 ones.

Yep, cars with single-phase chargers should have J1772 at the car end. The Mennekes-J1772 cable is also a standard from the shelf cable.

Mennekes at the car end only makes sense in cars with three-phase chargers, and you'd need an adapter cord to charge from a J1772 EVSE.

My only need for the mennekes is the situation, that most public sockets are the new mennekes. only a few privat socket from the "Drehstromliste" are the red 16A/32A CEE socket. i just want to cut my charging time in half when not being able to charge on a HPC.
I dont bother to have SAE J1772, Mennekes or Teslas proprietary socket. but for Model S, Mennekes 3-phase is a must.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone would like to take Tomsax's CAD designs and modify them to hold the Mennekes receptacle.
He indeed did a nice job on the J1772 connector. But I repeat myself, check the video from a few posts back, that Roadster (on 1:27) has a Mennekes connector. I'll try to contact the owner (Dutch) and ask how he did it.

Can I still advocate everyone think very carefully before adding Mennekes at the car. J1772 at the car makes more sense as it allows the use of Mennekes EVSEs *and* J1772 ones.
Yes, like jkirkebo also said, J1772 might be better since the Roadster is single-phase.

I didn't know Mennekes<>J1772 cables were freely available, but if they are, J1772 is no problem at all! But still, that seems a bit far away. Like Eberhard says, Mennekes<>Tesla is also fine, but we can't get the connector (other than wasting a UMC..)

Ah, I didn't see that you'd edited the post and added the video. Veeerrry interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1497&d=1300568633.png

I wonder if it has Tesla's blessing?

Tesla-Mennekes.PNG

Go to 1:27, is that a Tesla Roadster? I think so? (Not a modified Elise) That one seem to be fully converted to a Mennekes connector! I got to get in touch with that owner, see how he did it!

You're correct that is a Tesla Roadster with a Mennekes (Type-II) connector (both ends). I think the image is staged, though. It looks like the cable is just being held there and not actually connected. Doesn't look like the car is actually charging. Just my impression, though.

Spotted another picture of that car here:
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0104-300.jpg

It seems XL& is a Dutch shop that works on Roadsters.
images

Excellent Repair voor gratis vervangende Porsche bij autoschade en schadeherstel
Het laatste nieuws van Excellent Repair
30 november 2010
Erkend TESLA Reparateur sinds 1 november 2010
Per 1 November 2010 is Excellent Repair in Amsterdam officieel Tesla reparateur en autoschade hersteller voor Tesla Motors in de Benelux. Volgens importeur Tesla Motors is hiertoe vanwege de toenemende verkoopaantallen in de Benelux een noodzaak ontstaan. ”De Tesla Roadster beschikt over zeer verfijnde techniek waardoor professionalisme van groot belang is. Met Excellent Repair is het risico van imagoafbreuk door onoordeelkundige reparaties de kop ingedrukt. Excellent Repair is ook deelnemer aan Amsterdam Elektrisch en beschikt over laadstations op eigen terrein bij alle vestigingen, ook voor algemeen gebruik van derden. En we zijn bovendien ISO 9001 en 14001 gecertificeerd.
Translated:
November 30, 2010
Authorized Tesla Repairer since November 1, 2010
As of 1 November 2010 in Amsterdam was officially Excellent Repair repair and bodyshop repairer for Tesla Tesla Motors in the Benelux. According to Tesla Motors is an importer for this purpose because of the increasing numbers of sales in the Benelux a need arise. "The Tesla Roadster has a very sophisticated technique that professionalism is important. Repair with Excellent image, the risk of harm caused by improper repairs suppressed. Excellent Repair is also a participant in Amsterdam and has electric charging stations on site at all locations, including widespread use of third parties. And we are also ISO 9001 and 14001 certified.
Their sequence of pictures of the white XL& Roadster also included this:
IMG_0099.jpg

Is that by chance an MC240 they took apart?
Given that it is a repair shop's Roadster, and the sign that they may have taken apart an MC240 makes me wonder if they did in fact install a Mennekes in the Roadster.

Last edited:
What color ring light is on? White would say it is not connected, blue says it is connected but not "switched on" and any other color would say it's connected, and if it's off then it has never been connected or done charging.

Looks white to me - though the camera angles conveniently disguise that.

What color ring light is on? White would say it is not connected, blue says it is connected but not "switched on" and any other color would say it's connected, and if it's off then it has never been connected or done charging.

Looks white to me - though the camera angles conveniently disguise that.

Couldn't it be just some aluminum ring you are seeing? The car could be locked which turns the light off.

Ok, I was in Germany for a week so I didn't have any time to follow this up.

I've been mailing with EV-Box yesterday and they are currently creating a Mennekes<>Tesla adapter where they simple make a straight connection between the Tesla connector and the Mennekes without any connectors in between. This is like the RWE car we saw charging, they might have done the same.

Problem there is, where do you get the Tesla connector? The only way is to buy a spare mobile connector of $600 and send it to EV-Box. For about EUR 1000,00 in total you would then have a fully working Mennekes<>Tesla cable which is able to handle up to 32A (or also 63A).

The other idea is still the Mennekes connector with a CEE connector at the end, with a few resistors they would fool the charging station and current would start flowing through the cable when you connect it to the charging station. You would then connect your UMC to the end. Drawback here is that you would be charging with a lot of connector in between, not to forget that your trunk would be a bit full with all those cables in there.

They'll send me a update about their cables later this week.