Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental tires come with no warranty on new Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had our 2023 Model Y Long Range for 6K miles. Had a rear flat on a Continental 19:inch tire the vehicle was delivered with. Had a sidewall leak. I managed to add air and drive the car to a Tire Kingdom store. They do sell Continental tires but company rules do not allow them to work on any Tesla. They cited fears of damaging the battery and incurring large damage costs. Tesla service towed the car from there to Tesla shop. They replaced one tire at a cost of about $400. When I said it looked like manufacturing defect they said take it up with the manufacturer. I called Continental 800 number and they said take it to dealer for evaluation. After calling about ten local dealers, they all said if they didn’t sell me the tire, they would not even look at the tire. Told to take it up with Tesla. Tesla says take it up with Continental as it’s their warranty. There is no road hazard warranty or manufacturers defect warranty on Tesla new car tires from them. I don’t know what Michelin tires policy is in similar situation. If I had it to do over again, I would take delivery and immediately replace Continental tires. They do not stand behind their products, and that’s essentially what each of the dealers I spoke to told me.

If I had it to do over again, I would take delivery and immediately replace Continental tires. They do not stand behind their products, and that’s essentially what each of the dealers I spoke to told me.

Speaking as a Devil's Advocate here, but if you did that you would have crated exactly the same problem ... except four fold and immediately

You might as well wait for a failure before replacing them

Reactions: Iron and WyoDude
But how would they know?

I mean I guess there are serial numbers moulded into the sidewall perhaps, but what if you bought the vehicle, then immediately bought a new set of the same, then regardless of which set was on the vehicle you could show a receipt for them - unless they check the s/n ... assuming there IS a s/n visible

ok, seems like a lot of work to go to, but you know, some people . . .

But how would they know?

I mean I guess there are serial numbers moulded into the sidewall perhaps, but what if you bought the vehicle, then immediately bought a new set of the same, then regardless of which set was on the vehicle you could show a receipt for them - unless they check the s/n ... assuming there IS a s/n visible

ok, seems like a lot of work to go to, but you know, some people . . .

There’s absolutely a serial number stamped into every tire, as well as a DOT date code.

Believe me, they’ll check the SNs before doing anything else.

Reactions: flai54
You can buy a road hazard warranty at Discount Tire or America's Tire (same corporate parent) for Teslas. It was about $280 for all 4 tires. No OEM tires come with warranties. When you buy new tires, Costco includes a free 5 year road hazard warranty.

probably, but you'd think there'd be a 3rd party warranty supplied by the tire manufacturers

or even that the car manufacturers would chose tires made by a halfway decent company so actually could provide some sort of OEM warranty - even if their action was to simply pass the problem onto the tire manufacturer (with a note reminding them how many tires we bought off them last year)

OEM tires are probably purchased at a discount to the manufacturer so they make it not covered under warranty
How many OEM's warranty their tires.... I'm guessing zero. They don't manufacture them.
Agree. Threads like this make me think for many, a Tesla was their first new car purchase. I've purchased several new cars from several manufactures both foreign and domestic, none of them warranted tires.

Tesla excludes tires from warranty unless an OEM provided you with one.

1696351059998.png

1696351017380.png

They also exclude cleaning and polishing your car when it gets dirty.

1696351837180.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and DanDi58
so tires DO have a warranty ... just not a Tesla warranty

...and yes this is only my second new car. The first was a Honda Civic that I kept for 13 years until I got the Y. Prior to that, I always let other people take the big depreciation hit

so tires DO have a warranty ... just not a Tesla warranty
Yea, if you were provided one at the time of purchase.

New-car tires are not covered by the vehicle's basic warranty. Instead, the warranty comes from the tiremaker, and it's outlined in a booklet you should find in your new car's glove box. The tire warranty protects against premature tire wear or manufacturing defects.

Have had our 2023 Model Y Long Range for 6K miles. Had a rear flat on a Continental 19:inch tire the vehicle was delivered with. Had a sidewall leak. I managed to add air and drive the car to a Tire Kingdom store. They do sell Continental tires but company rules do not allow them to work on any Tesla. They cited fears of damaging the battery and incurring large damage costs. Tesla service towed the car from there to Tesla shop. They replaced one tire at a cost of about $400. When I said it looked like manufacturing defect they said take it up with the manufacturer. I called Continental 800 number and they said take it to dealer for evaluation. After calling about ten local dealers, they all said if they didn’t sell me the tire, they would not even look at the tire. Told to take it up with Tesla. Tesla says take it up with Continental as it’s their warranty. There is no road hazard warranty or manufacturers defect warranty on Tesla new car tires from them. I don’t know what Michelin tires policy is in similar situation. If I had it to do over again, I would take delivery and immediately replace Continental tires. They do not stand behind their products, and that’s essentially what each of the dealers I spoke to told me.
I had a similar issue with continental. Nail in the tire when dealer was replacing all 4 of my gemini wheels under warranty...
service rep comes out with the "u need a new tire thats $400" im like nope... screw it back in & i left.

Was slowly leaking when car sat so i called continental & like you said they wouldnt do anything.
So i called tesla mobile service and they plug/patched it for $100 and i am back to normal.

If i wanted to be a spiteful person i'd buy a tire on tire rack and claim road hazard on it and make the repair free minus mounting but i feel like thats a little sketchy.

Continental will warranty a new tire but only if its failed due to workmanship etc etc

But moral for my long story is that nobody knows anything... all depends on who you talk to.. the tire guy has a dif story then the service manager then the continental support guy.

Like you'll i'll be running through these continentals & switching to another brand (with road hazard!)

How many OEM's warranty their tires.... I'm guessing zero. They don't manufacture them.
Not saying they should. Most of the car parts in new cars are outsourced. You can buy warranty from some dealers for tires, like Toyota, Porsche, etc. Don’t know if any extended warranty or any sort of warranty outside the standard year/mile was offered.

Even if you buy tires from a shop, unless it’s a very obvious defect, outside the hazard tire protection, it’s hard to get warranty.

How would you get around the serial number on the tire?

You said Tesla Mobile Service patched the tire. How do they remove the tire from the rim and rebalance?

My buddy did a tirerack claim and they just wanted the receipt of the swap and damage then told him to recycle the tire.

Hes a master mechanic so he just tossed in his garage as an emergency spare.

As for my mobile service i had scheduled for the guy to come take mine off fix and remount.
The phone rep said they would have the truck that physicall does it on site…

Of course….The guy who came didnt have the truck lol. just full of loaner wheels so he popped an induction wheel on and told me he would come back the next day and put mine back on. He physically takes them to springfield sc does repair or replacement there then redelivers.

I didnt need the car so it sat with the loaner rim and once they came back they billed me.

So i went from ‘needing a new tire’ at the princeton sc to ‘patch is fine’ at another vis mobile!

Attachments

• IMG_9935.jpeg
    IMG_9935.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: fholbert
How would you get around the serial number on the tire?

You said Tesla Mobile Service patched the tire. How do they remove the tire from the rim and rebalance?
It's not Mobile Service, it's Roadside Assistance that comes,. They have a van with all of the needed equipment inside. Had a tire patched a few months ago. Not sure it was actually balanced.

• Informative
Reactions: fholbert and TypeX