Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

road hazard certificate, is it worth buying them right after vehicle delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do most people buy the road hazard certificates right after vehicle delivery?
I noticed discount tire/ america tire sells them for $41 per tire. Basically, if the tire gets damaged or has a nail and cannot be patched the certificate entitles you to a free replacement tire. The OEM continental tires sell for about $275. Is it worth paying $164 to get the certificates for all 4 tires? I understand most shops plug/patch for free so the question is how likely is it to get into a situation where a tire needs to actually be replaced?

I actually got this a few weeks after getting mylr and also with free tire rotation and balance at Americas tire. It's more of a peace of mind. Had on my previous vehicle and ended up replacing one of the tires. Way I see it is like having aaa which you may or not use but nice to have in case...

Reactions: mwestk
Like all insurance products, they aren’t “worth it” from a purely financial perspective by design. The insurer has to take in more money than they pay out for the product to be viable.

So there has to be some other value driving the decision to purchase. Would having to replace a $300 tire be a significant financial hardship? If so, the certificates might make sense. If not, you’re statistically better off keeping the $164 in your own account.

Like all insurance products, they aren’t “worth it” from a purely financial perspective by design. The insurer has to take in more money than they pay out for the product to be viable.

So there has to be some other value driving the decision to purchase. Would having to replace a $300 tire be a significant financial hardship? If so, the certificates might make sense. If not, you’re statistically better off keeping the $164 in your own account.
tires last 20k to 40k miles depending on driving habits, so thats roughly 2-5 years for most people , so i figure odds are i will need to replace tires atleast once in 2-5 years due to a flat/puncture

do most people buy the road hazard certificates right after vehicle delivery?
I noticed discount tire/ america tire sells them for $41 per tire. Basically, if the tire gets damaged or has a nail and cannot be patched the certificate entitles you to a free replacement tire. The OEM continental tires sell for about $275. Is it worth paying $164 to get the certificates for all 4 tires? I understand most shops plug/patch for free so the question is how likely is it to get into a situation where a tire needs to actually be replaced?
I would say yes, but how long does the road hazard last?
Btw, I have never seen OEM tires have the ability to get road hazard coverage
And
$164 is cheap vs at least two tire replacements
In NY metro, no one does a tire repair for free