Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> Wycolo, photo or it doesn't fit. [William13]

original link:

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire if not, how is that ok? - Page 21

If you have your TMC set up for top-posting, then the Google searches will give the wrong page!

frunk-19in-blizzak.jpg

This is the original photo dated 2Sep2013. By now this wheel is in use and the OEM Goodyear fits in Frunk just as easily. Big heavy oil jack has been replaced by a sissor jack.

I want to see a photo of a Tesla stock tire/wheel that will NOT fit in the Frunk. Then we can talk of chewing away at the corners with a sawzall . . .
--

Attachments

• frunk blizzak -spare is that ok p21.jpg
    frunk blizzak -spare is that ok p21.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
Wycolo, I will need to try this now. I thought there was no chance it would fit. I had a recent flat and have no plan to allow my car to be towed. Fix a flat from Tesla barely allowed slowed the leak. I had to fill the tire three times to go 2.5 miles to the tire store. On December 31 they were only open for another 2 hours.

> The Mercury Marauder from 2003 and 2004 is the only car I've been able to confirm uses the 155/80 18 size. [JST]

One could keep an eye on for this exact spare tire. List the junkyards by distance.

This is turning into a real $$$ fest, but MS owners might be strongly motivated by having enough space available in Frunk for a briefcase or travel bag on top of the space saver spare. If you have 2 full sets of wheels already and can afford that space loss plus the extra weight of the full size tire then why bother. Plus the stock wheels will fit in the back; space saver might get interference from parking caliper(?).
--

I think I've found a Marauder wheel/tire at a dismantler. We'll see--for $150 I decided to take a chance.

Debated going with the 19" alloy from an X5 and 155/70 19 that Chris in TX mentioned in another thread. That looks like the ideal combo, very close in size to stock, but it's also $500-600 all in, even sourcing used parts.

For what it's worth, if someone wants to go this route, at least some Mercedes ML320s used the 155 70 19 tire on their compact spares. I found one on eBay.

Also, the 145/80 18 (my second choice for an 18" wheel, 2 percent smaller than stock) is used by the VW Tiguan and Chrylser 300/Challenger/Chargers, if you are looking used.

The bolt pattern is different on both of these wheels, so you'd need the appropriate BMW wheel, too, but even throwing away the wheel it can be cheaper to buy these used than to buy just the tire new.

JST

Going off my memory from a year ago. Experimented with an inflatable 185/65-19 Vredestein on an AMG wheel (fits in the frunk so perfectly but tire a little too tall when inflated and 5lbs heavier than my current combo) along with a Land Rover LR3 wheel. I didn't bother experimenting with a 20" Bentley Mulsanne due to the additional weight of the larger wheel. Very easy to index and machine "S" bolt circle on most alloy wheels by using digital Bridgeport without effecting the integrity of the wheel by switching from a conical 60 degree "acorn style" seat to a shoulder style wheel lug ala Honda Ridgeline/Land Rover. Bimmerzone has the alloy 19" X5 new rim for $430 with no machining required utilizing OEM "S" lug nuts. I plan to attend the big East coast shindig in Arlington in a few weeks. Will be glad to sell you a brand new 155/70-19 for $100 if you like. IMHO, I think that your 155/80-18 on a "steely" will be the best/lightest/cost-effective solution.

Last edited:
JST

Going off my memory from a year ago. Experimented with an inflatable 185/65-19 Vredestein on an AMG wheel (fits in the frunk so perfectly but tire a little too tall when inflated and 5lbs heavier than my current combo) along with a Land Rover LR3 wheel. I didn't bother experimenting with a 20" Bentley Mulsanne due to the additional weight of the larger wheel. Very easy to index and machine "S" bolt circle on most alloy wheels by using digital Bridgeport without effecting the integrity of the wheel by switching from a conical 60 degree "acorn style" seat to a shoulder style wheel lug ala Honda Ridgeline/Land Rover. Bimmerzone has the alloy 19" X5 new rim for $430 with no machining required utilizing OEM "S" lug nuts. I plan to attend the big East coast shindig in Arlington in a few weeks. Will be glad to sell you a brand new 155/70-19 for $100 if you like. IMHO, I think that your 155/80-18 on a "steely" will be the best/lightest/cost-effective solution.

Thanks--I hope the 18"/steelie combo works, but if it doesn't I may take you up on that tire. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else at the Arlington event.

I wished I had a spare couple days ago. Hit a flat and it was leaking alot of air and it was at night when no one was open Had to pump up the tires really full the next day and drive to tire shop. Very inconvenient.

That actually sounds like less work than mounting a spare and still having to drive to the tire shop the next day. You might learn how to use a plug kit. It takes only a few minutes to plug a slow leak, you do not even have to remove the tire. In most cases it is considered a "permanent legal fix" as it is in California. It may in fact be what they did for you at the tire shop. All you need is a small plug kit at around $10 to $20, and the compressor that you already have.

That actually sounds like less work than mounting a spare and still having to drive to the tire shop the next day. You might learn how to use a plug kit. It takes only a few minutes to plug a slow leak, you do not even have to remove the tire. In most cases it is considered a "permanent legal fix" as it is in California. It may in fact be what they did for you at the tire shop. All you need is a small plug kit at around $10 to $20, and the compressor that you already have.

After plugging the tire, the interior still needs to be inspected. The problem with a plug repair is not necessarily the quality of repair, but that an inspection of the tire's interior isn't done. Often the penetrating object scratches the inside of the sidewall which can cause a sudden deflation sometime later.

After plugging the tire, the interior still needs to be inspected. The problem with a plug repair is not necessarily the quality of repair, but that an inspection of the tire's interior isn't done. Often the penetrating object scratches the inside of the sidewall which can cause a sudden deflation sometime later.

Jerry, I suppose that is possible, but what do I Know? I used to work in a tire shop in my younger years, I have plugged easily 500 tires and never seen such an occurrance you speak of.:smile:

the problem was that it was a long gash made by a razor blade close to the sidewall and I couldn't patch it. 40psi air would leak out in less than 1 hour. Luckily I was near my home and I have the tesla air pump to get home and let it deflate over night then pumping it back up in the morning to drive to a tire shop. Can't imagine if I got stuck farther away at night then I wouldn't be able to do that.

Ok, I think I've finally got it sorted. I never could find a reasonable price on a new 155 80 18, but it turns out that this size was also used in the Escape Hybrid. Those are fairly plentiful in online dismantler shops, and you can buy them all day long for between $100 and $150 shipped.

The first one I received was dry rotted and unusable, but they were good about taking it back (with free shipping), and I got a second one in decent shape a couple of days later.

A quick stop at NTB and I had it mounted up to my X5 rim.

Et voila.

Haven't had a chance to mount it on the car yet, but the OD is nearly identical so I am hoping it won't present a problem.
y3a2y9e2.jpg
a3ysa2uh.jpg

I think I've found a Marauder wheel/tire at a dismantler. We'll see--for $150 I decided to take a chance.

Debated going with the 19" alloy from an X5 and 155/70 19 that Chris in TX mentioned in another thread. That looks like the ideal combo, very close in size to stock, but it's also $500-600 all in, even sourcing used parts.

For what it's worth, if someone wants to go this route, at least some Mercedes ML320s used the 155 70 19 tire on their compact spares. I found one on eBay.

Also, the 145/80 18 (my second choice for an 18" wheel, 2 percent smaller than stock) is used by the VW Tiguan and Chrylser 300/Challenger/Chargers, if you are looking used.

The bolt pattern is different on both of these wheels, so you'd need the appropriate BMW wheel, too, but even throwing away the wheel it can be cheaper to buy these used than to buy just the tire new.

Dodge are 5 x 115 bolt pattern, Tesla is 5 x 120.

I want to see a photo of a Tesla stock tire/wheel that will NOT fit in the Frunk. Then we can talk of chewing away at the corners with a sawzall . . .

I tried tire-in-the-frunk but I was uncomfortable with it. It felt like I was forcing the bonnet when I tried to close it and I didn't want to do that. So I got a tire bag and put the tire in the trunk.

Success! Finally had a chance to mount the new tire/wheel on the front and drive around a bit. No codes, no electronic gremlins, no issues. The ABS, traction control, and regen all remained fully functional. The car drove fine, though I wouldn't go too fast around any sweepers.

Ymmv, of course.

I didn't have a chance to try it on the back. I probably wouldn't want to mount it there, anyway, just because putting that little rubber in the back might lead to squirrelly handling.

jazahasu.jpg
epebeny4.jpg

Success! Finally had a chance to mount the new tire/wheel on the front and drive around a bit. No codes, no electronic gremlins, no issues. The ABS, traction control, and regen all remained fully functional. The car drove fine, though I wouldn't go too fast around any sweepers.

Ymmv, of course.

I didn't have a chance to try it on the back. I probably wouldn't want to mount it there, anyway, just because putting that little rubber in the back might lead to squirrelly handling.

jazahasu.jpg
epebeny4.jpg

Thanks again for your efforts.

I understand you concern regarding using a compact tire on such a heavy car. However, obviously we would be carrying this tire to deal with a flat tire while on road trips and there is equally likihood of getting a flat in the rear as the front. Would you use this tire in the rear to slowly travel to the nearest tire repair location?

Thanks.

Larry